SHL: 2013-14 General SHL Discussion

Entiae

Flip That Bat!
Aug 2, 2011
If anything, the SHL seem scared of some small town team with low attendance numbers making it to the SHL, while teams like DIF and Malmö stay in Allsvenskan. Then we have Percy's threat of forcing Malmö out of what might be our finest arena (haven't been there myself) in favour of a new KHL team.

I understand why they want more control, but their proposal from a couple of months ago wasn't very "Swedish" so of course it was met with tons of hate. Even people who seemed to barely understand anything about the proposal complained.

I don't know what the solution is. I do think we need more teams, but personally I don't think we should stop at 14. Then we need to have an even number of games (55 is so stupid) and 83% of the teams should not make the playoffs.

We should not try to compete with the NHL or the KHL for obvious reasons, but I would assume the SHL would like to be #3 and not lose players to other leagues due to money. But then we would need more financially healthy teams, and the way to get that may not be favourable to the "average Swedish fan" (I don't mean that in a bad way). Or maybe a larger focus on homegrown talent would be preferred, even if the overall talent level could go down.
Some sort of change is coming, if it will be good or not, who knows. I can't say I'm too optimistic about it.

Last edited:

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
Fill me in here. Why is Fredric Anderberg throwing the towel in after "only" three months, at age 19? If it's with fear for more concussions later in his career I respect that, but why not just shut it down for the season at this point? This seems drastic and kinda unheard of.

It sounds like it's fear of chronic medical problems if he suffered any more concussions. From Expressen:

http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/shl/tvingas-lagga-av---19-ar-gammal-tungt/
Now he [Anderberg] has had to stop playing altogether, following doctors recommendations.
- About a month ago I realized that I wouldn't play any more this season. When some doctors were saying that there could be chronic issues, it was an easy decision.

m4tt145

Jun 7, 2013
Hersley broke the record today! Very happy for him.

Leksand also secured the contract for 14/15, so happy about our season, every player has worked so hard. I don't really think we got a chance in the playoffs, but I don't care.

Poro24

May 4, 2005
Finland
Finnish prospect Artturi Lehkonen moving to Frölunda? Source in Finnish.

Very good news if this is true. He's currently playing in the worst team of SM-liiga and the coaching there is a joke. Montreal wants him to better team.

There has not been many Finnish players in SHL lately so this is interesting.

Toffu

Jan 31, 2014
Is there any site with live streams of SHL?

Illegal, legal, i dont care. :nod:

XO

Nov 4, 2009
How does Ullmark not get nominated for rookie of the year? :laugh:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Before making a price you'd think they would make sure to:
1. Look up the dictionary what 'rookie' means.
2. Have clear eligibility rules.
3. Judge the players objectively.

But no. Better to have a subjective price with weird nominations and bias towards nationality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad