Speculation: 2013-14 Free Agent, Trades, and Proposals - Part 3

• Thread starter Penalty Kill Icing*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
If the Smithson experiment does not work out, how about bringing back someone like Steckel. Should not cost much and is a solid face off guy.

Or Toronto should take a hard look at LA's Jarret Stoll. Elite face-off man, capable of playing top 6 minutes, can play special teams.

Stoll would be an interesting option from LA....for all the reasons you said

would be tough to make work cap wise though

Liles is the obvious addition but doubt they want anything do to with him....that kind of leaves Kulemin

maybe Kulemin for Stoll and King

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Allegedly Edmonton and Philly are talking about Eberle... would make sense from Edmonton's perspective to bring in Coburn and Simmonds.

Would mean a lot of money Philly would have tied up on the right side though.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Friend, don't ever play broken telephone.

Note my comment - I clearly used the term 'don't like'. Note how that differs from 'hate', which is why I avoided the term.

Ok, so you don't like Girardi for the reasons mentioned. Points taken. What are some reasonable alternatives capable of top-pairing minutes who can be had for a reasonable price, and what that price might be you're willing to pay?

I'd like to avoid the Edmonton syndrome of needing to improve their team but being too afraid or overvaluing their players so much that it prohibits them from actually making any moves.

Well for starters you can stop focusing that the teams issues is on the blue line in the first place... Morgan Rielly in time will be the guy next to Phaneuf there's your top pairing D men and a hell of an upgrade in due time.

Phaneuf - Rielly
Gardiner - Franson

That's the top 4 for this team when it's ready to take the next step but as usual we have no patience and chase other teams players at bloated contracts only to hate them in the end.

The teams issues is at the other end of the ice. If they started to play more in the oppositions zone with more vigor and purpose by improving a rather none existed cycle game as 5 man units on the ice the shot totals wouldn't be so lob sighted and they would be playing a hell of a lot less in there D zone rope & doping like they are right now. People are constantly ripping on the D at every mistake they make as the reason for this hockey the team plays when it's actually the same issues as last year in that the offense can't sustain a cycle that's the weakness of this team. The D zone coverage is actually solid they just need to get there $hit together and pick up the pace and compete a hell of a lot harder on the cycle playing offense.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Maybe the player going the other way is Giroux. Didn't homer say recently no one is untouchable?

Giroux for Eberle, Petry?

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Well for starters you can stop focusing that the teams issues is on the blue line in the first place... Morgan Rielly in time will be the guy next to Phaneuf there's your top pairing D men and a hell of an upgrade in due time.

Phaneuf - Rielly
Gardiner - Franson

That's the top 4 for this team when it's ready to take the next step but as usual we have no patience and chase other teams players at bloated contracts only to hate them in the end.

The teams issues is at the other end of the ice. If they started to play more in the oppositions zone with more vigor and purpose by improving a rather none existed cycle game as 5 man units on the ice the shot totals wouldn't be so lob sighted and they would be playing a hell of a lot less in there D zone rope & doping like they are right now. People are constantly ripping on the D at every mistake they make as the reason for this hockey the team plays when it's actually the same issues as last year in that the offense can't sustain a cycle that's the weakness of this team. The D zone coverage is actually solid they just need to get there $hit together and pick up the pace and compete a hell of a lot harder on the cycle playing offense.

How do you think they get the puck into the other end of the ice, bug guy? Starts on the blue line. Our current D are porous. It would be ok if our young guys were surrounded with vets who didn't give the puck away, like a normal team is, but they aren't.

I agree on the compete level though... evidently so does Carlyle based on his comments today.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
How do you think they get the puck into the other end of the ice, bug guy? Starts on the blue line. Our current D are porous. It would be ok if our young guys were surrounded with vets who didn't give the puck away, like a normal team is, but they aren't.

I agree on the compete level though... evidently so does Carlyle based on his comments today.

starts with puck movement with skill & vision from the blue line and that's not Girardi's best attribute big guy;) Our D isn't that bad at all at it but there's an issue that you and I have a disagreement on it before so no reason to revisit #FreeJakeGardiner and #FreeMorganRielly... ;)

Asif16*

I think any deal involving oilers/flyers will involve simmonds. Oilers absolutely love him, and lets face it, they need someone like that.

Honestly i think the HAbs could also get into the simmonds chase.

I honestly really like simmonds. DUde is one of favorite players. Sucks that we cant fit him in somehow. I wouldnt mind trading kulemin somehow and replacing him with simmonds:naughty:

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Its being widely speculated that the deal is actually involving some size going Edmontons way.

Simmonds+

That makes much more sense for Edmonton... They have almost zero in meat & potato types of players both on offense and on D that's why they suck so much... too much of the same thing in speed and skill.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
That makes much more sense for Edmonton... They have almost zero in meat & potato types of players both on offense and on D that's why they suck so much... too much of the same thing in speed and skill.

Yup.

My guess based on pure speculation and "rumors".

Eberle

For

Simmonds + Coburn + Pick

Asif16*

I would love both of those guys on the leafs. :(

Lol same here man. Gonna hate the oilers even more if they decide to take two players i want on the leafs.

Maybe we can persuade the flyers into thinking gardiner is better than eberle

Mapleleafs Fan*

Lol same here man. Gonna hate the oilers even more if they decide to take two players i want on the leafs.

Lol, we have to offer a bigger package to get them. Gardiner isn't an elite like Eberle yet.

Igy

Mar 3, 2011

Sadly, I doubt it.

Simmonds would be nice, but we really don't need another winger unless we send one back the other way. Coburn would be nice also, but once again we would have to send another D back the other way.

The only realistic option would be to get Couturier for something around Gardiner.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Eberle
Yakupov
1st
Smyth (cap)

for

Simmonds
Couturier
Coburn
Schenn
Schenn

Last edited:

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

Does Philly have another compliance buyout? Hartnell's got compliance written all over him.

They're saving 2.4M on that deal, but they will have $33M tied up next year between Hartnell, Vinny, Voracek, Giroux, Read, Couturier and Eberle. Then they have to re-sign Brayden Schenn and Downie. Assuming each get $3M, that's $40M in forwards, only $20M for the final 3-4 forwards and all of their defense.

Seems awfully tight.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
If we were to go after a Center I would want it to be Shawn Matthias instead of someone like stoll tbh, Matthias would probably cost a bit more, but would be a good fit for our team especially with us lacking size down the middle.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I'd like the Leafs to stop trading their draft picks away.

They've got rid of 3 picks for Bolland and O'Byrne in the past couple years. I'm not complaining about the acquisitions, but I think if the Leafs are able to trade contract for contract, that's the best way to go.

If the Panthers are really interested in getting Liles, then a trade around Kopecky or Upshall would be the best way to go.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Panthers fans seem to like Liles.

Liles and a 3rd for Mathias?

They already have one overpaid PMD, I'm not sure they want another.

Colorado is the place IMO. That "no-name"(with respect) with eventually start falter 6 goals against Nashville could be the first sign of it; And they have the cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad