Speculation: 2013-14 Free Agent, Trades, and Proposals - Part 3

• Thread starter Penalty Kill Icing*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I'm just waiting for an opportunity for Brennan to get called up. I have a feeling he's a sleeper who will play his way onto the team.

12 pts in 5 games? I know we don't need another OFD, but if Brennan has any 2-way capabilities at all we would be wise to scratch Gunnar for a night and let Brennan take his place. What's the worst that could happen?

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
I'm just waiting for an opportunity for Brennan to get called up. I have a feeling he's a sleeper who will play his way onto the team.

12 pts in 5 games? I know we don't need another OFD, but if Brennan has any 2-way capabilities at all we would be wise to scratch Gunnar for a night and let Brennan take his place. What's the worst that could happen?

That's the thing, he doesn't have any two way capabilities. That's why he got sent down.

RedHead Kingpin

Jan 14, 2012
Runestone
The defender in the panthers system I would prefer would be Petrovic. I think he'd fit like a glove, but wouldn't make an impact this season. Does any one know what Fla would want?

Penalty Kill Icing*

We need a mean defenseman. Another Fraser, slightly better.

They were saying on radio the other day: None of the current Leafs (except Fraser) defenseman will intimidate you if you are on other team. All are pretty easy to play against.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
The defender in the panthers system I would prefer would be Petrovic. I think he'd fit like a glove, but wouldn't make an impact this season. Does any one know what Fla would want?

They need NHL-Ready D... their fans are lamenting the loss of Brennan for nothing, and the Whitney experiment looks unsuccessful.

My guess is Gunnarson. Just a guess, but gives them a 2nd pairing option on a reasonable contract. Maybe they have to add a mid pick to balance, but we're still waiting a year before he's truly ready for NHL duties.

Either that, or Brennan + a pick or prospect.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
We need a mean defenseman. Another Fraser, slightly better.

They were saying on radio the other day: None of the current Leafs (except Fraser) defenseman will intimidate you if you are on other team. All are pretty easy to play against.

Good point - think Peca's comments on Jaybo way back.... we need a top-4 bruiser.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Good point - think Peca's comments on Jaybo way back.... we need a top-4 bruiser.

What would be a short list of players that fit the bill? Wonder if there's a veteran player that could be had on the cheaper side .. A Bieska, Mitchell type

Too bad the Leafs couldn't snag Scuderi

However Brooks Orpik is a pending UFA .. Although if the Pens are contending I doubt they'd move him

Penalty Kill Icing*

I used to be a Gunnarsson supporter. Even if he is not playing healthy (from his hip injury last season), he won't be that big a piece even when he starts playing good hockey.

I won't mind him being traded and Leafs aiming for a meaner defenseman (who, even if is slow). The other mobile D-partner.. (Gardiner, Rielly, Franson/Phaneuf) would help skate out of trouble.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What would be a short list of players that fit the bill? Wonder if there's a veteran player that could be had on the cheaper side .. A Bieska, Mitchell type

However Brooks Orpik is a pending UFA .. Although if the Pens are contending I doubt they'd move him

Kulemin for Orpik works

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007

Dan Girardi (also right handed, which we need) could be a good acquisition this summer as a UFA.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Kulemin for Orpik works

Heh .. yah, not for Pittsburgh ;)

BertCorbeau said:
What would be a short list of players that fit the bill?

Kevin Klein
Kevin Bieksa
Brayden Coburn
Nik Grossman
Willie Mitchell

I think those are the most realistic. Bieksa hasn't been floated out there a lot and it's just a hunch I have that he may be available given Vancouver's recent struggles with a Torts system.

I could include others like Bogosian, Girardi, Gudbrandson and Michalek but I just don't see this as realistic options at all, either being prohibitively expensive or not at all available.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Kevin Klein
Kevin Bieksa
Brayden Coburn
Nik Grossman
Willie Mitchell

I think those are the most realistic. Bieksa hasn't been floated out there a lot and it's just a hunch I have that he may be available given Vancouver's recent struggles with a Torts system.

I could include others like Bogosian, Girardi, Gudbrandson and Michalek but I just don't see this as realistic options at all, either being prohibitively expensive or not at all available.

Would love Bogo and Gudbrandson, but those would be tough buys ... Girardi could and will be dealt if the Rags keep struggling, maybe Michalek but I don't know if I'd want to pay that price.

Bieska would be a good one I think too ... And if Buffalo keeps struggling I wonder about Tyler Myers (though his contract is a big question mark)

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
To Phoenix:
Nazem Kadri
Carl Gunnarsson

To Toronto:
Keith Yandle
Lucas Lessio

To San Jose
Jake Gardiner

To Toronto
Joe Pavelski

To Pittsburgh
Nikolai Kulemin
3rd 2014

To Toronto:
2nd 2014
2nd 2015

Say the Salary goes up to 70 mil...
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Tyler Bozak ($4.200m) / Phil Kessel ($8.000m)
Joffrey Lupul ($5.250m) / Joe Pavelski ($6.000m) / David Clarkson ($5.250m)
Mason Raymond ($2.900m) / Dave Bolland ($3.000m) / Josh Leivo ($0.925m)
Frazer McLaren ($0.700m) / Jay McClement ($2.250m) / Troy Bodie ($0.750m)
Trevor Smith ($0.700m) / Colton Orr ($0.925m)
DEFENSEMEN
Keith Yandle ($5.250m) / Dion Phaneuf ($6.500m)
Morgan Rielly ($1.744m) / Cody Franson ($4.200m)
T.J. Brennan ($0.900m) / Stuart Percy ($1.076m)
Andrew MacWilliam ($1.088m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Bernier ($2.900m)
RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (1.827% of upper limit)
John-Michael Liles ($1.279m—33.0%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,036,250; BONUSES: $1,407,500
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $1,371,250

Just under 1.4 mil to sign a back-up goaltender.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Post 17, at least keep it reasonable. How often does a team do 3 trades that changes the team significantly. This isn't NHL14.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I understand if you think the deals aren't fair... fine. But two big, and one minor trade isn't really far fetched by this time next season starts...

It's not, but Joe P in SJ has 12 pts in 9 games and they look better than they have in years, they aren't going to trade him for Gardiner straight up, they aren't even going to trade him at all, so we can't then trade Kadri for Yandle. Nor would I think Yandle would be a guy we want.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Kevin Klein
Kevin Bieksa
Brayden Coburn
Nik Grossman
Willie Mitchell

I come in peace...as a Flyers fan. The Flyers need PMD which you have...you want defense guys...which we have. I am wondering if we could help each other and have Philly REALLY help Tor....LILES. I am looking for a deal that involves Gardiner...so how about a deal around:

Gardiner+Liles(little to no value to the Leafs) for Grossmann and a 2nd

Please...no bashing...give suggestions on tweaks to it. FYI...to the poster looking for tougher guy...Grossmann was top 22 in blocked shots and 26 in hits 2 years ago...missed games last year.

After all...LA is Philly West and with JVR and Lupul, Tor might as well become Philly East.

Thanks

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I come in peace...as a Flyers fan. The Flyers need PMD which you have...you want defense guys...which we have. I am wondering if we could help each other and have Philly REALLY help Tor....LILES. I am looking for a deal that involves Gardiner...so how about a deal around:

Gardiner+Liles(little to no value to the Leafs) for Grossmann and a 2nd

Please...no bashing...give suggestions on tweaks to it. FYI...to the poster looking for tougher guy...Grossmann was top 22 in blocked shots and 26 in hits 2 years ago...missed games last year.

After all...LA is Philly West and with JVR and Lupul, Tor might as well become Philly East.

Thanks

Hi.

Frankly, I think we're looking for a better return for Gardiner than Grossman. Although your pick will likely be 30-45 overall, we'd be better off keeping Gardiner and retaining salary on Liles' contract, for which I'm sure we could get somewhere around a 2nd for him. Plus Grossman is just marginally better than Fraser IMO - not enough to consider letting go of Gardiner for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad