Speculation: 2013-14 Free Agent, Trades, and Proposals - Part 12 Miller and Ott

Status
Not open for further replies.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Edm would not want more?

I don't know, something around

Myers is pretty damn good and signed at a reasonable amount to go with their other contracts. they'd still have their 1st to make another deal

Maybe something like
Yak, Hemsky for Myers, Stafford, Pysyk

Buff gets extra incentive of clearing out Stafford contract but I think he'd be useful in Edm as they need size upfront. Pysyk is a solid Alberta Dman prospect and rhd

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
The reality is the Leafs aren't legitimate contenders this season but we can lessen the gap between us and teams like Pittsburgh/Boston (note the East is far weaker than the West) for futures seasons by having extra assets to package up in a deal in the off-season.

Bingo. Selling off guys like Kulemin/Raymond/Bolland doesn't mean we can only get picks and HAVE to wait 4-5 years to start seeing a return on them. There are scenarios where we sell those guys off with the intention of being contenders within 1-2 years. Whereas if we keep them, resign one or two, and/or lose 1-3 of them for nothing in the offseason, we're that much further from contention, and remain similarly outside the contenders this season regardless of them being here.

More picks = more options at the draft, including making blockbuster trades. In order to make those types of trades to really push us near the top, we need both capspace and assets.

We can get both by selling high on three guys, all of whom will be looking for career contracts this offseason. Maybe resign one of them, but I would definitely sell two of them.

Kyle Doobas*

Bingo. Selling off guys like Kulemin/Raymond/Bolland doesn't mean we can only get picks and HAVE to wait 4-5 years to start seeing a return on them. There are scenarios where we sell those guys off with the intention of being contenders within 1-2 years. Whereas if we keep them, resign one or two, and/or lose 1-3 of them for nothing in the offseason, we're that much further from contention, and remain similarly outside the contenders this season regardless of them being here.

More picks = more options at the draft, including making blockbuster trades. In order to make those types of trades to really push us near the top, we need both capspace and assets.

We can get both by selling high on three guys, all of whom will be looking for career contracts this offseason. Maybe resign one of them, but I would definitely sell two of them.
That's one way of looking at it, but personally I don't like the idea of selling off a quality asset like Bolland for a late 1st at best on the assumption we'll somehow be able to parlay that into a blockbuster trade.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
That's one way of looking at it, but personally I don't like the idea of selling off a quality asset like Bolland for a late 1st at best on the assumption we'll somehow be able to parlay that into a blockbuster trade.

I like the idea of moving one of Raymond, Kulemin, or Bolland. We traded away our second round pick last year for Bolland, and are without 2nd round picks for the next two years as well from the Holland and Bernier deals. It would be nice to recoup some of those assets, especially considering we won't be re-signing at least one of those three.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Franson Gardiner Raymond all day long for potential Chara lite

Anyone expecting Myers to be Chara lite is setting themselves up for dissapointment. He's just not going to be that kind of player. I'd say he's got more Jay Bouwmeester in him than anything close to Chara.

He's more of a smooth steady skating guy. He'd do well as a #2 on a team, having a big physical number one to play with. Do exactly what St Louis did with Bouwmeester, put him with your number 1 guy. He'd excel at it. He's the kind of guy that skates well, moves the puck well, uses his body to protect the puck, not punish opposing players. He's Jay Bouwmeester 2.0 IMO, just Chara sized.

I'd actually like to see him with the Leafs in some capacity. Maybe behind Phaneuf/gunnarsson and with Rielly. Put Gleason with Franson, build some package around Gardiner and you've added the element our team defense needs.

But I'm pretty sure this is a pipe dream haha. We couldn't afford to add him cap wise, and Buffalo is probably going to ask the moon for him if we want him.

Kyle Doobas*

I like the idea of moving one of Raymond, Kulemin, or Bolland. We traded away our second round pick last year for Bolland, and are without 2nd round picks for the next two years as well from the Holland and Bernier deals. It would be nice to recoup some of those assets, especially considering we won't be re-signing at least one of those three.
Yeah I definitely think we could stand to lose one of Kulemin/Raymond. Probably Kulemin, since Raymond, for all his faults, has been one of our top scorers, while Kulemin's work in a checking role and on the PK would be more easily replaceable by a guy like D'Amigo. Plus it just seems like he'd garner a better return than Raymond would.

Leafs Fan 12

Jan 20, 2011
Lebrun said that finding a top 4 dmen is a priority for the leafs. Not a huge surprise.
Lebrun also said that one gm told him that there is a lot of activity/ chatter atm.

Last edited:

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Myers would be nice to have but I think Ehrhoff would be better.

Gleason-Ehrhoff pairing would be pretty damn nice pairing.

Gunner-Phaneuf
Gleason-Ehrhoff
Rielly-Gardiner

mikebel111*

Gunner-Phaneuf
Gleason-Ehrhoff
Rielly-Gardiner

Nice idea. Except that 3rd pairing.
Switch it up and do
Gleason-rielly
Gardiner-ehrhoff

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Gunner-Phaneuf
Gleason-Ehrhoff
Rielly-Gardiner

If Gardiner and Franson give aneurysms to Leaf fans, Myers will literally make us want to commit suicide.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Lebrun said that finding a top 4 dmen is a priority for the leafs. Not a huge surprise.
Lebrun also said that one gm told him that there is a lot of activity/ chatter atm.

not surprising considering the amount of big names almost certain to get moved plus the other big names that seemed to have appeared out of no where like st louis and kesler

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
If you get him with out kadri

If its gardiner, do it!

I don't think it get's done with out Kadri.

And by the sounds of what Pitt has already offered up, I think the bidding war will get to high. I'm now on the stand pat at centre, And wait for Bolland to get back.

I think like Lebrun is mentioning another defenseman is top priority. If we can turn Gunnarsson+ or Franson+ into a better defenseman, I'm all for it.

doorman

Nov 8, 2012
Thunder Bay
I don't think it get's done with out Kadri.

And by the sounds of what Pitt has already offered up, I think the bidding war will get to high. I'm now on the stand pat at centre, And wait for Bolland to get back.

I think like Lebrun is mentioning another defenseman is top priority. If we can turn Gunnarsson+ or Franson+ into a better defenseman, I'm all for it.

As mush as I like that Franson is a RHD I would be leary of breaking up Phanuef/Gunner as they play well together. He is by no means the ideal number 2 guy but they work well for now.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Nice idea. Except that 3rd pairing.
Switch it up and do
Gleason-rielly
Gardiner-ehrhoff

I was gonna do that but in playoffs I think Gleason and Ehrhoff would be a better pairing because we'd have 2 shutdown pairings and 1 pairing that would play sheltered minutes. Franson and Fraser looked amazing as a 3rd pairing last season so you'd think Rielly and Gardiner could do the same.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
I doubt Myers is truly on the trade block, but if he is, Buffalo needs forwards. They are stocked to the brim with solid D prospects and thin on forwards. Kadri would almost certainly be heading the other way.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I think this deadline could surprise us. Burke said he expects it to be really busy, and Lebrun said the sane thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad