Speculation: 2013-14 Free Agent, Trades, and Proposals - Part 12 Miller and Ott

Status
Not open for further replies.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
The way I see it, we only have limited trade assets. To become legit contenders, we need to add a really solid two-way forward, and a #2-3 dman.

Do we have the capspace to add both those pieces? No.
Do we have the trade assets to add both those pieces without making other holes and/or completely handicapping our future? No.
Is one of those issues more likely to be fixed internally within the next 1-2 years? Yes.

The blueline is a bit thin right now.. but I think we can count on some steps forward from Rielly (hopefully some big steps forward), and I also think we can count on at least one of Percy/Finn/Granberg/MacWilliam becoming an upgrade defensively to our blueline.

So if we have two obvious holes on the roster, one of which will likely be filled internally, then IMO we should be focusing on the other hole and focusing on making this team a contender for the 2015 or 2016 playoffs (and beyond). I would dump pending UFAs like Bolland/Kulemin/Raymond, get some good value back for them and some capspace.

Then I would trade for Kesler. The trade returns from the above players would alleviate some of the loss to the farm system from trading for Kesler (say it cost Gardiner+Holland+1st, but we got three 2nds + a couple mid round picks for the pending UFAs), as well as create the capspace to have him, resign McClement, bring back Komarov, and resign Kadri/Bernier the subsequent summer.

Those combination of moves I think could put us right near the top of the league within the length of Keslers contract, and leave us with the capspace to resign key players.

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011
I would think that a Gardiner would be enough. If not, add a Ryan or D'Amigo maybe Raymond for Myers

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
He had 2 major surgeries on his right shoulder, there is a reason he is going to market. You just don't give up a Kesler if you have him. Read young man. Know what's going on behind the scenes, from what I read that shoulder is a real deal to consider.

Its not like he has been signed for 8 years and he's played just fine with it this season.

Completely overblown with no evidence to support the claims

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I would think that a Gardiner would be enough. If not, add a Ryan or D'Amigo maybe Raymond for Myers

Myers has been much better than Gardiner this season, playing nearly flawlessly defensively and his offensive numbers are suffering because of how putrid Buffalo's offence is. Gardiner would definitely not be enough to get it done.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Yup if I was Nonis I'd go all in.

Phaneuf - Myers/Gunnarsson
Rielly - Myers/Gunnarsson
Gleason - Franson

Is pretty solid. All relatively young too. Problem is what do we deal?

Gardiner + Reimer + 1st + prospect (Assuming they deal Miller and need a goalie). Slight overpayment IMHO but all expendable pieces and we need to overpay within the division

are we getting anyone other than Myers back? that seems like a lot
[though, I admit - i SUCK at this game - so maybe that's fair value].

but I'd give them Franson Back (RHD for RHD) for sure, and Gardiner (youth for youth). Reimer too, but then i'd like a little something back for that.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Myers has been much better than Gardiner this season, playing nearly flawlessly defensively and his offensive numbers are suffering because of how putrid Buffalo's offence is. Gardiner would definitely not be enough to get it done.

I don't see us getting Myers. We lack capspace, could get outbid by a lot of teams, and I doubt Buffalo wants to trade him within the division (if he were traded).

We have Phaneuf on Rielly to build the blueline around. Other teams like Philly, Colorado, etc which have some great pieces up front but lack top-quality on the blueline would probably be willing to trade more then we would for a guy like Myers.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Franson Gardiner Raymond all day long for potential Chara lite

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London

Problem is Buffalo has so many young D, I'm not convinced they would want one in return for Myers.

Zadorov, Ristolainen, McCabe, McNabb, Pysyk. They don't really need more defense :P

Ehrhoff may be someone that we could get that would be more in our price range. He would be a solid addition to our team as well and would like to get him too.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
They've got some good defensive prospects in the system and maybe they're looking at drafting Ekblad?

Myers might be a good target at the draft if Nonis can swing some magic...

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
They aren't looking to move him they are just saying he is available for the right price, but would like to keep him. The Buffalo management want picks and a blow up

I would think he'd be the kind of guy you'd want to keep for a rebuild.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
They've got some good defensive prospects in the system and maybe they're looking at drafting Ekblad?

Myers might be a good target at the draft if Nonis can swing some magic...

his cap hit is killer. i doubt we could get him unless someone goes the other way. either lupul or clarkson. their 5M salary washes out with Myers 5M salary.

still getting myers is a risk. he's a big man, but his defensive skills are spotty at best. this concerns me though...

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Franson Gardiner Raymond all day long for potential Chara lite

What would Buffalo do with Raymond? :shakehead

are we getting anyone other than Myers back? that seems like a lot
[though, I admit - i SUCK at this game - so maybe that's fair value].

but I'd give them Franson Back (RHD for RHD) for sure, and Gardiner (youth for youth). Reimer too, but then i'd like a little something back for that.

Problem is we would definitely get outbid at that point.

Lets assume the asking price is Myers for a young roster player + 1st + A-level prospect

Young roster player (Gardiner) + 1st + Prospect (Reimer is likely worth a 2nd + B-level prospect which would cover this)

Now assume that an inter division trade would require the Leafs to pay in addition to the asking price which is where the extra prospect comes in.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
We won't be getting a young top 3 dman for a combination of Franson/Kulemin/D'amigo/Ryan.

It starts with at least one of Kadri/Rielly/Gardiner.

Exactly. But i wouldn't be dealing Kadri or Rielly

I think Gardiner + 1st + Reimer makes a good basis especially if they deal away Miller

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
The way I see it, we only have limited trade assets. To become legit contenders, we need to add a really solid two-way forward, and a #2-3 dman.

Do we have the capspace to add both those pieces? No.
Do we have the trade assets to add both those pieces without making other holes and/or completely handicapping our future? No.
Is one of those issues more likely to be fixed internally within the next 1-2 years? Yes.

The blueline is a bit thin right now.. but I think we can count on some steps forward from Rielly (hopefully some big steps forward), and I also think we can count on at least one of Percy/Finn/Granberg/MacWilliam becoming an upgrade defensively to our blueline.

So if we have two obvious holes on the roster, one of which will likely be filled internally, then IMO we should be focusing on the other hole and focusing on making this team a contender for the 2015 or 2016 playoffs (and beyond). I would dump pending UFAs like Bolland/Kulemin/Raymond, get some good value back for them and some capspace.

Then I would trade for Kesler. The trade returns from the above players would alleviate some of the loss to the farm system from trading for Kesler (say it cost Gardiner+Holland+1st, but we got three 2nds + a couple mid round picks for the pending UFAs), as well as create the capspace to have him, resign McClement, bring back Komarov, and resign Kadri/Bernier the subsequent summer.

Those combination of moves I think could put us right near the top of the league within the length of Keslers contract, and leave us with the capspace to resign key players.

I also would be okay trading high on them at the deadline.

I'd like to see the Leafs be proactive and take a step back now so that we can load up on assets to make a big move this off-season or beyond instead of focusing too much on a short term playoffs or bust mentality this season.

The reality is the Leafs aren't legitimate contenders this season but we can lessen the gap between us and teams like Pittsburgh/Boston (note the East is far weaker than the West) for futures seasons by having extra assets to package up in a deal in the off-season.

Until potential top of the lineup players Rielly and Gardiner take the next step and a few potential cheap secondary pieces like Holland, Percy, Gauthier, Leivo come along on good deals we simply aren't there yet. It won't happen this season but the potential is there with this young roster to do so over the following few seasons.

Option A: Extra assets picks to help for years from dealing some rentals + getting players like Holland, Leivo, Broll more minutes will only better prepare for next season and beyond.

vs.

Option B: No extra assets but if we're lucky 1 or at most 2 extra wins this seasons.

Please Nonis show that you actually are a patient GM like you've stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad