Prospect Info: 2013-14 Adirondack Phantoms (AHL), ECHL, NCAA, Juniors, International, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JVR21

Jan 27, 2010
General public Frozen Four tickets went on sale today. I wanted to go, but I didn't anticipate $205 per person for a pass to the three games. A bit too steep for me.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Laughton was well under a PPG his draft year and only had 23 points the year before as opposed to guys like Couturier and Schenn who were well above a PPG even as 16 year olds, those are guys that don't need time to develop their offensive skills, though it could be argued that Couts could have benefited from it. Laughton isnt a guy who's been dominating offensively at every level he's been at and he just needs to bring that to the NHL, his offensive game has just really taken off the last 2 seasons. Obviously the skill was always there but it's still developing in my opinion.

We can just agree to disagree I guess because we'll never know what's best for him unless he steps in day 1 and is solid defensively while putting up decent numbers. I just think he needs some fine tuning of his offensive skills and that he can further progress them playing top line minutes and PP in the AHL for a season(or even half as I suggested before) rather than with plugs on the 4th line in Philly.

I agree with you that the AHL is better than the 4th line. I just think he would actually work on the 3rd line next year behind Giroux and Couturier. That line is getting controlled minutes now with B. Schenn at center so having Laughton there wouldn't really matter IMO.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I am generally very skeptical of post draft year offense translating to the NHL. Leier is nearly producing at Laughton's pace, is only 3 months older, and no one is claiming he will be an offensive player at the nhl level. If Laughton turns into a reliable 3rd liner, that is good enough. Anything more is gravy.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I am generally very skeptical of post draft year offense translating to the NHL. Leier is nearly producing at Laughton's pace, is only 3 months older, and no one is claiming he will be an offensive player at the nhl level. If Laughton turns into a reliable 3rd liner, that is good enough. Anything more is gravy.

Yup, thing is people around here say this (not you necessarily) but don't understand what a third liner really is. I've heard people say B Schenn is gonna be a 3rd/2nd line winger. Meanwhile he's on pace for 45+ pts, was last year as well and is 22. Being a 50ish pt winger makes you a 1st line winger in this league so even if he doesn't improve he's already a solid 2nd line contributor, who's on the boarder of being a 1st line winger (without getting 1st line minutes). Being a 30 pt center is a 3rd line center but people around here will not be happy with Laughton if he's an annual 30 pt player. Greedy ****ers! :laugh:

Last edited:

BillDineen

Aug 9, 2009
Yup, thing is people around here say this (not you necessarily) but don't understand what a third liner really is. I've heard people say B Schenn is gonna be a 3rd/2nd line winger. Meanwhile he's on pace for 45+ pts, was last year as well and is 22. Being a 50ish pt winger makes you a 1st line winger in this league so even if he doesn't improve he's already a solid 2nd line contributor, who's on the boarder of being a 1st line winger. Being a 30 pt center is a 3rd line center but people around here will not be happy with Laughton if he's an annual 30 pt player.

B. Schenn was supposdely "the best player not in the nhl" as a prospect. That equates to a first line potential. he does not look like he is achieving his expectations. If Laughton is a two way 15-20 goal scorer, that isn't bad.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
B. Schenn was supposdely "the best player not in the nhl" as a prospect. That equates to a first line potential. he does not look like he is achieving his expectations. If Laughton is a two way 15-20 goal scorer, that isn't bad.

This is exactly what I'm talking about though. If he's expected to have first line potential then he's right on his way. He's on pace for 45+ point in his third yr while playing the 8th most minutes among forwards (under 16 minutes), that's almost dead last out of our top nine. Btw this is counting an injury shortened year and a lock out shortened yr (in which he also was on pace for 45 pts) as his first two. I don't see how he isn't meeting expectations when being a >50+/-2 point forward in this league makes you a top line winger. I'm not just making this up the numbers are there on NHL.com to back this up if you don't believe me. For some unknown reason apparently being a top line player means you have to be a 70+ pt guy which would put you in the top 25 in scoring in most years. That's just ridiculous.

If Laughton is a 15g/15a guy he'll be in the middle of the pack in terms of 3rd liners. If he's expected to be breaking 40 pts then we're talking 2nd line player here statistically. Again, Flyers fans need to lower their expectations when it comes to the young players.

Last edited:

BillDineen

Aug 9, 2009
This is exactly what I'm talking about though. If he's expected to have first line potential then he's right on his way. He's on pace for 45+ point in his third yr, counting an injury shortened year and a lock out shortened yr (in which he also was on pace for 45 pts) as his first two. I don't see how he isn't meeting expectations when being a >50+/-2 point forward in this league makes you a top line winger. I'm not just making this up the numbers are there on NHL.com to back this up if you don't believe me. For some unknown reason apparently being a top line player means you have to be a 70+ pt guy which would put you in the top 25 in scoring in most years. That's just ridiculous.

If Laughton is a 15g/15a guy he'll be in the middle of the pack in terms of 3rd liners. If he's expected to be breaking 40 pts then we're talking 2nd line player here statistically. Again, Flyers fans need to lower their expectations when it comes to the young players.

I am agreeing with you.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
I'm not saying Laughton will be a better point producer than Schenn in their prime, but I think he has he potential to be a more valuable player for us. I can see Laughton being a 15-20 goal, 45-50 point center with grit, good 2-way play and leadership qualities. Schenn is sporadic at best on the defensive side of the puck, is only physical when he wants to be and let's be honest; his hockey IQ is lacking a bit as he's not always sure of where he's supposed to be on the ice whether it's to get himself into scoring position or defending a rush on the back check. He seems to chase the play quite a bit and looks lost unless he has the puck on his stick in the slot.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Yup, thing is people around here say this (not you necessarily) but don't understand what a third liner really is. I've heard people say B Schenn is gonna be a 3rd/2nd line winger. Meanwhile he's on pace for 45+ pts, was last year as well and is 22. Being a 50ish pt winger makes you a 1st line winger in this league so even if he doesn't improve he's already a solid 2nd line contributor, who's on the boarder of being a 1st line winger (without getting 1st line minutes). Being a 30 pt center is a 3rd line center but people around here will not be happy with Laughton if he's an annual 30 pt player. Greedy ****ers! :laugh:

This is exactly what I'm talking about though. If he's expected to have first line potential then he's right on his way. He's on pace for 45+ point in his third yr while playing the 8th most minutes among forwards (under 16 minutes), that's almost dead last out of our top nine. Btw this is counting an injury shortened year and a lock out shortened yr (in which he also was on pace for 45 pts) as his first two. I don't see how he isn't meeting expectations when being a >50+/-2 point forward in this league makes you a top line winger. I'm not just making this up the numbers are there on NHL.com to back this up if you don't believe me. For some unknown reason apparently being a top line player means you have to be a 70+ pt guy which would put you in the top 25 in scoring in most years. That's just ridiculous.

I see what you're saying but you keep saying Schenn was on pace for 45 points but you aren't using the pace of other players too, your just using the total points. It would be like saying Taylor Hall had 53 points in 2011-2012 and Schenn was on pace for almost 50 so they are roughly the same player. Until you notice that Hall only played 60 games or whatever it was, his pace though would be closer to a 70+ point player.

Going scrictly on PPG looking at 2011-2012(last full season) the 90th best forward in the NHL after removing guys that played very few games, as far as PPG was Bobby Ryan at .7ppg and he had 57 points in 82 games. There were guys like Lecavalier who had 49 points in 64 games which is a 63 point pace so while he had less than 50 points, he clearly would have easily eclipsed that if you use pace the way you use Schenn's pace.

It's really more the pace of scoring that makes you a first line player. If a guy has 40points in 55 games hes clearly a first line player. If that same player had 40 points in 82 games, I'm sure they would be looking to move him off of that line.

Also, just because there are 90 guys playing on a first line in the NHL doesn't necessarily mean they are all first liners depending on your opinion of a first line player. That's like saying there are 30 #1 defenseman in the NHL when even the most optimistic Flyers fan will admit we don't have a #1 anymore.

Nothing against Schenn here, I'm taking a very patient approach to a lot of our young guys because I'm tired of seeing guys get run out of town and then tear it up somewhere else. I just wouldn't call Schenn a borderline first liner right now.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I see what you're saying but you keep saying Schenn was on pace for 45 points but you aren't using the pace of other players too, your just using the total points. It would be like saying Taylor Hall had 53 points in 2011-2012 and Schenn was on pace for almost 50 so they are roughly the same player. Until you notice that Hall only played 60 games or whatever it was, his pace though would be closer to a 70+ point player.

Going scrictly on PPG looking at 2011-2012(last full season) the 90th best forward in the NHL after removing guys that played very few games, as far as PPG was Bobby Ryan at .7ppg and he had 57 points in 82 games. There were guys like Lecavalier who had 49 points in 64 games which is a 63 point pace so while he had less than 50 points, he clearly would have easily eclipsed that if you use pace the way you use Schenn's pace.

It's really more the pace of scoring that makes you a first line player. If a guy has 40points in 55 games hes clearly a first line player. If that same player had 40 points in 82 games, I'm sure they would be looking to move him off of that line.

Also, just because there are 90 guys playing on a first line in the NHL doesn't necessarily mean they are all first liners depending on your opinion of a first line player. That's like saying there are 30 #1 defenseman in the NHL when even the most optimistic Flyers fan will admit we don't have a #1 anymore.

Nothing against Schenn here, I'm taking a very patient approach to a lot of our young guys because I'm tired of seeing guys get run out of town and then tear it up somewhere else. I just wouldn't call Schenn a borderline first liner right now.

When talking 50ish point totals as a bench mark for first liners I didn't include last season because it was a shortened season. I didn't feel like going through the top 30 left and top 30 right wingers (in terms of point totals) and calculating ppg numbers so I just went by the previous few yrs numbers. Even still if you want to use 55+ pts as a bench mark for first liners I still don't see how Schenn isn't on his way to being just that all things considered (he's only 22 and will fill out a bit more, experience: ~140 NHL regular season games equates to less then two season of experience, and ice time which is very low considering his expectations). Schenn is second on the team in terms of pts/60 minutes behind vinny which is really telling if you ask me. Just look at JVR's numbers after getting very similar ice time numbers under Lavy when he got moved to TO and his TOI skyrocketed. So maybe he's not as close as I made him sound but still.

Edit: in his last 81 games (this season and last season) he's got 44 pts. Again all things considered I don't really see how he's not on his way to being a 1st liner. He's already a solid 2nd line scorer.

Last edited:

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
ADK was losing 1-0 after one to Hartford.

Akeson tied the game at one, going into the third shortly.

Holmstrom put ADK up 2-1. Game is now 2-2 though.

Game in OT at 2-2.

OT not enough, SO starting.

Phantoms win 3-2 in SO. Akeson and Straka were the two scorers in the SO.

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
ADK was losing 1-0 after one to Hartford.

Akeson tied the game at one, going into the third shortly.

Holmstrom put ADK up 2-1. Game is now 2-2 though.

Game in OT at 2-2.

OT not enough, SO starting.

Phantoms win 3-2 in SO. Akeson and Straka were the two scorers in the SO.

I'm so excited for the Phantoms to be here in the Lehigh Valley so I can watch all the games either live or on the local cable channel...

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm so excited for the Phantoms to be here in the Lehigh Valley so I can watch all the games either live or on the local cable channel...

When they were in Philly the games were barely ever televised. Do you know for a fact that'll change now that they are moving to Lehigh Valley?

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
i found this table that i liked and decided to make one for our prospects

‏‏‏‏
#​
|
prospect​
|
pos.​
|
country​
|
acquired​
|
round​
|
% of vote​
|  ‏‏‏‏Scott Laughton |
C​
|
25px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png
|
2012​
|
1st​
|
77.36%​
|  ‏‏‏‏Samuel Morin |
D​
|
|
2013​
|
1st​
|
59.70%​
|  ‏‏‏‏Robert Hägg |
D​
|
25px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png
|
2013​
|
2nd​
|
69.74%​
|  ‏‏‏‏Shayne Gostisbehere |
D​
|
25px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
|
2012​
|
3rd​
|
66.33%​
|  ‏‏‏‏Anthony Stolarz |
G​
|
|
2012​
|
2nd​
|
48.15%​
|  ‏‏‏‏Nick Cousins |
C​
|
|
2011​
|
3rd​
|
77.22%​
|  ‏‏‏‏Petr Straka |
RW​
|
25px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png
|
2013​
|
2nd​
|
39.17%​
|  ‏‏‏‏Tye McGinn |
LW​
|
|
2010​
|
4th​
|
63.33%​
|  ‏‏‏‏Jason Akeson |
C/RW​
|
|
2011​
|
N/A​
|
28.28%​
|  ‏‏‏‏Mark Alt |
D​
|
|
Trade​
|
2nd​
|
36.36%​
|  ‏‏‏‏Marcel Noebels |
LW​
|
german-flag-small.gif
|
2011​
|
4th​
|
45.31%​
|  ‏‏‏‏Oliver Lauridsen |
D​
|
DK.gif
|
2010​
|
7th​
|
40.38%​
|  ‏‏‏‏Taylor Leier |
LW​
|
|
2012​
|
4th​
|
36.84%​
|  ‏‏‏‏Brandon Manning |
D​
|
|
2011​
|
N/A​
|
31.48%​
|  ‏‏‏‏Marc-Andre Bourdon |
D​
|
|
2008​
|
3rd​
|
42.55%​
|  ‏‏‏‏Kyle Flanagan |
LW​
|
|
2012​
|
7th​
|
35.85%​
|  ‏‏‏‏Valeri Vasiliev |
D​
|
25px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png
|
2012​
|
7th​
|
46.67%​
|  ‏‏‏‏Frederic Larsson |
D​
|
25px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png
|
2012​
|
4th​
|
30.43%​
|  ‏‏‏‏Reece Willcox |
D​
|
|
2012​
|
5th​
|
44.90%​
|  ‏‏‏‏Tyrell Goulbourne |
LW​
|
|
2013​
|
3rd​
|
46.00%​

took the standings from here http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1493087

maybe if you have an idea to add something to make this table better just let me know and i'll work on it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad