Prospect Info: 2013-14 Adirondack Phantoms (AHL), ECHL, NCAA, Juniors, International, etc. part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
I think both of those guys will be gone before we pick. This year, in a draft that looks a little sub-par in comparison to last year and next year, I think it's the most beneficial to go BPA.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I think both of those guys will be gone before we pick. This year, in a draft that looks a little sub-par in comparison to last year and next year, I think it's the most beneficial to go BPA.

Depending on where the Flyers end up I think it is quite feasible McKeown could be there:

Bennett
Ekblad
Reinhart
Dal Colle
Draisaitl
Fleury

are six I cannot imagine going outside the top ten atm.

Richie
McCan
Nylander
Perlini
Ehlers

will very likely be in the top 15. (like 90% sure... ofc one or two may drop.)

That is 11 guys who I imagine will almost certainly be top 15 unless something crazy happens (ofc 1-2 could drop.)

That leaves:

Barbashev
Kempe
Karlsson
Kapanen
Bleackley
Virtanen

McKeown
Honka

Who I imagine will be taken in the 10-25 range.

So if the Flyers got the 16-18 pick (playoffs; remember NJ forfeit so move up one to 15-17) I imagine McKeown could well be there, though as probably 3rd-4th best D in the draft teams may take him earlier...

There will be some of these guys left... though tbh any of those 8 would be a nice pickup for the Flyers, Bleackley is the only full time centre so probably take him out:

Kempe, Karlsson, Virtanen, Kapanen, Barbashev as the wingers who may go in that range... and McKeown and Honka as the D men. At least ~2 of them should be there when the Flyers draft assuming they dont draft after 20...

I have a feeling a winger will drop heavily... duno who though.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think the Flyers will be picking around 11 or 12 again, unless they win the lottery.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I've seen several mock drafts so far this year and it really seems to be all over the place with regards to whom the Flyers might draft on draft day. If the Flyers are in the same spot where they currently are, some of the names I've seen in terms of who people think the Flyers will select include: David Pastrnak, Sonny Milano, Adrian Kempe, and Anthony DeAngelo. Watch them end up surprising everyone and draft a guy like Thatcher Demko.

Last edited:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I do agree they need to address the wing position at the draft.
What is the story on Kempe? and what is his contract status on his current team?

He has looked pretty good at times in the SHL this year. Can play wing or centre. Big, strong, hits

4 goals and 10 points for Modo this year in 39 games playing ~8 minutes a game. He is also the only u18 forward playing regularly in the SHL.

He loves to initiate physical contact. Pretty decent two ways as well and he can PK. (he did it for the juniors in the Ivan Hlinka and I believe he did for the J20 team too)He is seemingly more inclined to be a playmaker at times, though he has a pretty good shot... so he fits the Flyers perfectly in that regard! He skates nicely enough as well. From what I have seen he does not have any glaring weaknesses to his game and is pretty well rounded.

Not sure on the contract front.

Though when compared to Nylander I do not think he has the potential to be as 'special' as Nylander... he really does have some je ne sais quoi about him. I thought the Flyers may have a shot at him until he got loaned to the Allsvenskan... he was dropping; but now he is over PPG at 17 in a mens league for his current club.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I really think they need to try to get a speedy goal scoring LW if possible. I don't pay much attention to upcoming draft prospects but I think I've heard a few people mention that there's a lot of wingers this year, hopefully we can find one to play with Giroux.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I really think they need to try to get a speedy goal scoring LW if possible. I don't pay much attention to upcoming draft prospects but I think I've heard a few people mention that there's a lot of wingers this year, hopefully we can find one to play with Giroux.

Lots of wingers this year, but with the exception of Michael Dal Colle, Brendan Perlini and Nick Ritchie, they're all on the smaller side. Myself, I don't have a problem with drafting smaller because smaller players seem to have a longer shelf life, but outside of Hartnell, Simmonds and Voracek, the wings are relatively small in Philadelphia.

My own personal preference is a defenseman again. If the Flyers are at 16, Brycen Martin, Roland McKeown, Jack Glover and Jack Dougherty are very distinct possibilities (personal preference is McKeown because he's shown that there's also a very good offensive side to his game).

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Lots of wingers this year, but with the exception of Michael Dal Colle, Brendan Perlini and Nick Ritchie, they're all on the smaller side. Myself, I don't have a problem with drafting smaller because smaller players seem to have a longer shelf life, but outside of Hartnell, Simmonds and Voracek, the wings are relatively small in Philadelphia.

My own personal preference is a defenseman again. If the Flyers are at 16, Brycen Martin, Roland McKeown, Jack Glover and Jack Dougherty are very distinct possibilities (personal preference is McKeown because he's shown that there's also a very good offensive side to his game).

Holmgren became assistant GM in 1999. Since then, the Flyers have had 13 1st picks. 4 came from the QMJHL, 5 from the OHL, 2 from the WHL, 1 each from Europe and the United States. The two from the WHL, Woywika and Sbisa, were each traded after their 1st professional season and have been for the most part disappointments. The two guys from Europe and the US, Pitkanen and JVR, were each traded after professional season 4. It was interesting where they were picked too, both top 5 and both in a consensus grouping before what most scouts believed was a drop off. IMO, it's as if the flyers took them because of their respective draft value instead of really liking either player as they seem to bash each guy almost from the start. It interested that during the 1st flight plan video, one of the scouts was talking about a player having value whether the flyers liked him or not. I wonder if JVR and Pitkanen fell into that situation.

What does all this mean? Probably nothing accept under Holmgren 9 out of 13 1st round picks have come out of the Q or OHL. With the Q being down this year with a couple Europeans at the top of the list, I would wager the pick will come from the OHL.

Last edited:

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Seems like Bourdon is having some troubles again(Head related I would guess) for the Phantoms. Not on the ice for practice and didn't play the other night.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
What does all this mean? Probably nothing accept under Holmgren 9 out of 13 1st round picks have come out of the Q or OHL. With the Q being down this year with a couple Europeans at the top of the list, I would wager the pick will come from the OHL.

It's not surprising when you see who was/is responsible for those regions during that time span in Simon Nolet (QMJHL) & Denis Patterson (OHL) who are our best two scouts.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Holmgren became assistant GM in 1999. Since then, the Flyers have had 13 1st picks. 4 came from the QMJHL, 5 from the OHL, 2 from the WHL, 1 each from Europe and the United States. The two from the WHL, Woywika and Sbisa, were each traded after their 1st professional season and have been for the most part disappointments. The two guys from Europe and the US, Pitkanen and JVR, were each traded after professional season 4. It was interesting where they were picked too, both top 5 and both in a consensus grouping before what most scouts believed was a drop off. IMO, it's as if the flyers took them because of their respective draft value instead of really liking either player as they seem to bash each guy almost from the start. It interested that during the 1st flight plan video, one of the scouts was talking about a player having value whether the flyers liked him or not. I wonder if JVR and Pitkanen fell into that situation.

The Flyers feel the most comfortable with their scouts in Eastern Canada. Can you really blame them though? These are the same scouts that have produced, Giroux, Richards, Carter, Gagne, Williams, and Downie in recent memory. Almost of all of their successful picks have come from that area.

I don't think the Flyers hold a bias towards European skaters. I just don't think they have as many eyes watching them as they do in North America. Afterall, Tuevo Teravainen was who Homer was highest on where they were slotted to pick in 2012. He was visibly pissed when Chicago got him two spots before them.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
so it sounds like Holmgren is going to have to take some convincing to take a guy like Kempe if he is on the board when the Flyers pick. based on recent history.
I really dont have any idea who the Flyers should take with the first rounder this year. I have not dove into this years draft class much yet. well the players that will be available to where I think the Flyers should be drafting that is.
Last year they went after defenseman and this year i think they need to focus on wingers early. they are pretty weak there prospect wise.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
so it sounds like Holmgren is going to have to take some convincing to take a guy like Kempe if he is on the board when the Flyers pick. based on recent history.
I really dont have any idea who the Flyers should take with the first rounder this year. I have not dove into this years draft class much yet. well the players that will be available to where I think the Flyers should be drafting that is.
Last year they went after defenseman and this year i think they need to focus on wingers early. they are pretty weak there prospect wise.

I think wing is the biggest current need, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if they went after another defenseman and/or goalie. Defensemen are the hardest players in the league to acquire through free agency or a trade, and I'm not comfortable just relying on Stolarz to be the only goalie of the future.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Kempe is big as well... 6'2 and 190 age 17.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Kempe is big as well... 6'2 and 190 age 17.

Agreed. However, Kempe doesn't have quite the offensive upside as the other three do. Part of me hopes that if the Flyers do draft Kempe, they direct him to come to North America and play in one of the junior leagues (depending on if he's picked up in the import draft).

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

In my opinion if McKeown is gone when they pick they would be safest taking a winger.

Honka and DeAngelo have great potential... but I duno, I would not feel as comfortable with them.

I think there will be some good wingers still there... there are so many in this draft:

Virtanen (plays both)
Nylander (can play both)
Ehlers
Kapanen
Barbashev
Kempe (plays both)
Karlsson
Larkin
Milano
Pastrnak
Tuch
Goldobin
Schmaltz (plays both)
Scherbak
Fabbri
Vrana
Tkachyov
Kamenev

could all be taken in the 1st after the 10th pick! (though ofc some will be in the 2nd... 1-2 could be gone by the teens.)

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I think wing is the biggest current need, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if they went after another defenseman and/or goalie. Defensemen are the hardest players in the league to acquire through free agency or a trade, and I'm not comfortable just relying on Stolarz to be the only goalie of the future.

I would not be upset either if they went defense again in round 1. But after that they should look at filling up the prospect pool with forwards. they have built up a nice young group of defenseman. not sure how deep this draft is on the wings so I guess that is likely going to play a part what direction they go in early in the draft.
I wonder how the organization feels about Heeter going forward? do they think he can at the very least be a decent backup option? I really dont know since I have seen zero Phantoms games. right now he their only option for a recall in case one of Mason or Emery go down.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011

What's the scouting report on Glover and Dougherty?

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
What's the scouting report on Glover and Dougherty?

The best way to describe Glover is smooth. Great skater, great puck handler and can has a feather touch on his passes. He's also got very good size (6'3) and he's got a bit of a mean streak. The other thing about Glover is that he makes safe decisions with the puck and has a great hockey IQ. He knows what to do and he's very coachable. He's going to play at the University of Minnesota, so he'll probably be there for two years before turning pro.

As for Dougherty, he's a bit more of an offensive defenseman, but his mobility isn't as good as Glover's. Dougherty relies on solid positioning more because of his "lack" of foot speed (he's not a bad skater, but his first step acceleration isn't very good). He's not as physical as Glover either, but he has a more active stick and is very well adept at poke checking. Dougherty is actually a little more solid than Dougherty in that he's a solid 6'2, 186 pounds (Glover is 6'3, 177 pounds). Dougherty was supposed to go to Ohio State, but that's up in the air now that the head coach has been fired. I know that he's scheduled to play in Sioux City with the USHL, but that there's been talk of him possibly going to the CHL.

I know both guys are rated a little further down the chart, but they're also two guys to keep an eye on because they're expected to be a big part of the US Team's U18 team and if they have a stellar performance, their stock is expected to rise significantly (more and more scouts are starting to place an importance on how prospects perform in this tournament).

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
The best way to describe Glover is smooth. Great skater, great puck handler and can has a feather touch on his passes. He's also got very good size (6'3) and he's got a bit of a mean streak. The other thing about Glover is that he makes safe decisions with the puck and has a great hockey IQ. He knows what to do and he's very coachable. He's going to play at the University of Minnesota, so he'll probably be there for two years before turning pro.

As for Dougherty, he's a bit more of an offensive defenseman, but his mobility isn't as good as Glover's. Dougherty relies on solid positioning more because of his "lack" of foot speed (he's not a bad skater, but his first step acceleration isn't very good). He's not as physical as Glover either, but he has a more active stick and is very well adept at poke checking. Dougherty is actually a little more solid than Dougherty in that he's a solid 6'2, 186 pounds (Glover is 6'3, 177 pounds). Dougherty was supposed to go to Ohio State, but that's up in the air now that the head coach has been fired. I know that he's scheduled to play in Sioux City with the USHL, but that there's been talk of him possibly going to the CHL.

I know both guys are rated a little further down the chart, but they're also two guys to keep an eye on because they're expected to be a big part of the US Team's U18 team and if they have a stellar performance, their stock is expected to rise significantly (more and more scouts are starting to place an importance on how prospects perform in this tournament).

Thanks for the reply. Solid post as usual. I really like the sound of Glover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad