2012 NHL Mock Draft: Top 14 - (Redarmynative)

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
murray will be a better and more important player. Number one defenseman are hard to find these while top forwards come from all over. When's the last time you heard a player being compared to scott niedermayer?

2010?

And 2008 before that.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Every year there's either a new Neidermayer, Pronger, or Lidstrom :laugh:

I still remember 2008 (there's no way Hedman isn't the next Lidstrom! Guaranteed!). Bogosian was the next Pronger, then Gudbranson. Fowler is the new Neidermayer. Etc. Etc. Etc.

If the Oilers end up landing Justin Schultz that could throw a huge wrench into the draft too as the "need" for a d-man begins to lessen considerably (add on to that that Gagner would almost certainly be dealt for another d-man on top of that if Grigo is the Oilers pick).

oil country 83

Apr 2, 2009
It looks more and more like the oilers will finish 29th, I think there is a good chance they will draft murray. I think there is a chance if grigorenko or galynchuk have good playoffs and combines that the oil draft one of them and shop gagner.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
2010?

And 2008 before that.

Lol this. Fowler and Pietrangelo ring a bell to anyone? And those were pro scouts making those comparisons.

Every year there's either a new Neidermayer, Pronger, or Lidstrom :laugh:

I still remember 2008 (there's no way Hedman isn't the next Lidstrom! Guaranteed!). Bogosian was the next Pronger, then Gudbranson. Fowler is the new Neidermayer. Etc. Etc. Etc.

If the Oilers end up landing Justin Schultz that could throw a huge wrench into the draft too as the "need" for a d-man begins to lessen considerably (add on to that that Gagner would almost certainly be dealt for another d-man on top of that if Grigo is the Oilers pick).

:( lol.

But you don't think Murray is better than those players at that age? How would you compare Murray to Doughty or Hedman in their draft year (not hype but actual play)?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
:( lol.

But you don't think Murray is better than those players at that age? How would you compare Murray to Doughty or Hedman in their draft year (not hype but actual play)?
To be honest, not really. I can't say I think he's WORSE than Larsson, Fowler, Pietrangelo, and Hedman at the same age, but he sure hasn't looked any BETTER to me (in fairness I've only seen live 4 Everett games and all his WJC games)

TheZec

Mar 19, 2010
As an islanders fan i hope this is the draft in which snow drafts a potential #1 defenceman

AlMo

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
agreed! Grigorenko will go #2....i guess Ryan Murray fans should hope the Oilers don't fall any further than #3 for the draft.

If the Oilers do pick 2nd and they do decide to take Grigerenko it could be a mistake.

The Oilers have some great depth at the forward position already and considering their age, they might run into some serious problems in a couple of years trying to get all these forwards under the cap.

Drafting a dman is the smart thing to do imo. The Oilers are in desperate need of a PMD who can play on their top pairing down the road and Murray fits that bill. I know the argument of drafting Grigs and trading Gagner has been used but imo, Gagner has far more value to the Oil than to the rest of the league and you are kidding yourself if you think you can prospect like Murray in return.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
If the Oilers do pick 2nd and they do decide to take Grigerenko it could be a mistake.

The Oilers have some great depth at the forward position already and considering their age, they might run into some serious problems in a couple of years trying to get all these forwards under the cap.

Drafting a dman is the smart thing to do imo. The Oilers are in desperate need of a PMD who can play on their top pairing down the road and Murray fits that bill. I know the argument of drafting Grigs and trading Gagner has been used but imo, Gagner has far more value to the Oil than to the rest of the league and you are kidding yourself if you think you can prospect like Murray in return.

You shouldn't make any drafting decisions based on depth. You could always make a trade to alleviate the depth and make room.

I honestly think Murray is a better choice than Grigorenko.

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
I honestly think Murray is a better choice than Grigorenko.

i don't ! and if the Oilers draft 2nd and pick Grigs, then i'm ok with it. chatter around here is that if it plays out like this, then perhaps a package that includes Sam Gagner would be put out there to try to pry a top d-man from another team.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
i don't ! and if the Oilers draft 2nd and pick Grigs, then i'm ok with it. chatter around here is that if it plays out like this, then perhaps a package that includes Sam Gagner would be put out there to try to pry a top d-man from another team.

Why would a team trade a top dman for a package that has Sam gagner as the main piece.

Zeroknowledge*

As of now here is my top 10 updated mock.

1- Columbus: Nail Yakupov
2- Edmonton: Mikhail Grigorenko
3- Montreal: Alex Galchenyuk
4- Minnesota: Ryan Murray
5- NY Islanders: Matt Dumba
6- Toronto : Filip Forsberg
7- Anaheim: Jacob Trouba
8- Carolina: Radek Faksa
9- Tampa Bay: Griffin Reinhart
10- Winnipeg: Morgan Rielly

Last edited by a moderator:

RipCityPuckers

Jun 16, 2007
Toronto
As much as I'd love to grab Murray at 6, I'd much rather pick Forsberg there due to our lack of solid young forward prospects

Sep 18, 2009
As of now here is my top 10 updated mock.

1- Columbus: Nail Yakupov
2- Edmonton: Mikhail Grigorenko
3- Montreal: Alex Galchenyuk
4- Minnesota: Ryan Murray
5- NY Islanders: Matt Dumba
6- Toronto : Ryan Murray
7- Anaheim: Filip Forsberg
8- Carolina: Radek Faksa
9- Tampa Bay: Jacob Trouba
10- Winnipeg: Morgan Rielly

lol:partytime:

wholesickcrew

May 7, 2010
Toronto
You shouldn't make any drafting decisions based on depth. You could always make a trade to alleviate the depth and make room.

Then why haven't Omark, Paajarvi, or Gagner been traded for help on D yet? Pittsburgh drafted Letang and Fleury with high picks, giving them a nice balanced young roster to work with.

ZugNugget

Feb 19, 2008
Then why haven't Omark, Paajarvi, or Gagner been traded for help on D yet? Pittsburgh drafted Letang and Fleury with high picks, giving them a nice balanced young roster to work with.

Kris Letang: 62nd overall, 2005

Martin Marincin: 46th overall, 2010
Oscar Klefbom: 19th overall, 2011
David Musil: 31st overall, 2011

And I really hope no one is advocating drafting a goalie first overall.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
if the Oilers are drafting @ 2, there is no way they'll pass up Grigorenko. They do not have as good offensive depth as some would like to believe. They essentially have 1 good top line for the future and a bunch of plugs, maybe one serviceable offensive veteran player in Ales Hemsky if he's able to stay healthy. The rest can be called throw aways or fringe players.

They need Grigorenko moving forward to give them respectable centre depth. Gagner has not developed enough seems to have plateaud.

I seriously laugh at all the people who have the Oilers picking D, regardless. It's BPA, and for many, not just fans on the Oilers board, it's Grigorenko.

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta

Why would a team trade a top dman for a package that has Sam gagner as the main piece.

hey it's not my idea! just chatter i have heard, either the radio guys or the paper. i'm guessing the idea is to try and pry a decent d-man from someone who needs more offence....a good guess is Nashville perhaps? they probably could use Sam and a prospect or draft choice, and could probably afford to give up a Ryan Ellis or Jonothan Blum...i have heard that the Preds have a lot of the same type of D, and could spare one of those two for more offense.

wholesickcrew

May 7, 2010
Toronto
Kris Letang: 62nd overall, 2005

Martin Marincin: 46th overall, 2010
Oscar Klefbom: 19th overall, 2011
David Musil: 31st overall, 2011

And I really hope no one is advocating drafting a goalie first overall.

My bad. Obviously I was thinking of Whitney... which is ironic considering where he is now. I really like those three, Marincin and Klefbom especially, but how far away are they?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
My bad. Obviously I was thinking of Whitney... which is ironic considering where he is now. I really like those three, Marincin and Klefbom especially, but how far away are they?

I'd say at least 1 year for Klefbom and 2 more years for both Marincin and Musil. 3 years for Martin Gernat, a sleeper in last year draft.

Either we draft Murray or Justin Schultz signs with us, otherwise it's UFA signings for another year.

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
Wild would Probly go Trouba over Reinhart. Cant believe i have to even talk about us picking those 2 now... Wild really ****** up

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
not a bad list, i'd just substitute Faksa and Gaunce for Rielly and Ceci, and switch #2 with #3.

I won't say there's no chance the Canes take a dman, but where they really need help is up front so Faksa's about as good a guess at #9 as you can make. Teravainen might sneak into that spot though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad