2012 NHL Draft Guides (ISS, McKeen's, RLR, The Hockey News, FC, Hockey Prospect)

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009
I got the Black Book yesterday and I'm loving it too. Definitely will be a buy again next year if it continues to come out.

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
Just a quick note to thank all those who have purchased our NHL Draft Black Black. The the use of our online coupon has been amazing.

Also, a few people who have purchased our Black Book did not bothr download the "iPad Version". Just to be clear, you do not need an iPad to view it. It was just formatted to fit the iPad screen and responds nicley to finger swipes etc. for navigation. It looks great with your regular PDF viewer as well.

I'm heading to the NHL combine for the day but if you have any questions you can contact me via email: info @ hockeyprospect.com
I spoke with a bunch of NHL guys yesterday and I think it's going to be an interesting draft. Based on my conversations, I expect a few so called surprises as far as where players go off the board.

Our website is currently down (great timing) but server admins have contacted me and our working on the problem.

regards,

Mark

Twitter is @MarkEdwardsHP for updates

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
I got the Black Book yesterday and I'm loving it too. Definitely will be a buy again next year if it continues to come out.

Thanks for kind words. We are getting such great feedback, it's been a very enjoyable 24 hours for myself and our staff.

Barring something beyond my control it will be produced again next year. We will try to make it even better of course. :)

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Thanks for kind words. We are getting such great feedback, it's been a very enjoyable 24 hours for myself and our staff.

Barring something beyond my control it will be produced again next year. We will try to make it even better of course. :)

The coupon code doesn't work with the print version? I'd rather have a hard copy than a PDF version.

Koffein

Mar 20, 2009
Oslo
Thanks for the kind words. The positive response so far has been amazing.

Your comment on not mistaking it for a draft guide interests me since it has rankings for the top 210 for the 2012 NHL Draft and a top 30 for the 2013 draft.
I'm always interested in customer feedback. If you would like to expand on that, you can email me at info at hockeyprospect.com. If your feedback helps make next years books even better, I'm all ears.

I like this comment "it's the best read on the draft prospects I've ever had and it will be really good to have come draft day."

This is exactly the type of comment I was hoping to hear when I got the idea to create the Black Book product just about a year ago. :)
Oh, really? I did see the rankings for 2013, so when I just went back to the book I felt quite embarrassed realizing the 2012 rankings ended the page before the 2013 top-30. My bad! :laugh:
Either way, I think it differs alot from the usual draft guide in the way that the actual rankings of players has a very minor role in it, but it's not really something negative. IMO it's rather built as a massive prospect guide, and is just a great source of information while skipping some of the usual parts in draft guides, like the mock draft and team profiles. I really don't think you should change that for next year, as it stands it's a perfect compliment to a regular draft guide that's sorted by draft rankings with shorter player descriptions that's easier to follow during the draft, but when you want to get into detail on a player, just look for him in the Black Book.
I understand now how you have sorted both the players and game reports, but if there's something you could work on for next year it's adding some extra headlines with team names, sorting the teams player in alphabetical order under them and in the case of game reports - make the separation of OHL, WHL etc more distinct since it all seems a bit mashed together at the moment. And if possible, add even more game reports! That was likely the most intriguing part of it all, following a players progress throughout the season.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Article in the National Post about the D-Men in the upcoming draft. The author is making absurd comparisons but...

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/06/01/2012-nhl-entry-draft-looks-quite-familiar/

I haven't followed this draft class closely but these are pretty absurd lol. Maatta is a completely different player than the physical and more defenensive Sbisa. Reinhart being compared to Myers? I saw the Mem cup and he's nothing alike, maybe it's cos he's the tallest of the group lol. Ryan Murray doesn't have have the offensive instincts of Pietrangelo. Troube = Schenn....this seems doubtful based on what the Minnesota fans are saying about Trouba.

Anyways, nice short article but always hate when they make these random comparisons especially since the full NHL role of half the guys he's saying in the NHL hasn't even been defined yet.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I haven't followed this draft class closely but these are pretty absurd lol. Maatta is a completely different player than the physical and more defenensive Sbisa. Reinhart being compared to Myers? I saw the Mem cup and he's nothing alike, maybe it's cos he's the tallest of the group lol. Ryan Murray doesn't have have the offensive instincts of Pietrangelo. Troube = Schenn....this seems doubtful based on what the Minnesota fans are saying about Trouba.

Anyways, nice short article but always hate when they make these random comparisons especially since the full NHL role of half the guys he's saying in the NHL hasn't even been defined yet.

I don't mind writers making comparisons but why aim so high? I'm surprised he did compare one the kids to Bobby Orr. :(

OHLInsider2007

Jan 26, 2007
Just for full disclosure, I used to do a little work several years ago for Hockeyprospect.com. I've purchased several draft guides and while all of them have some value, Hockeyprospect.com and their Black Book gives you tremendous value for the $$$.

Mark Edwards and his staff should be very proud of this product. Just wanted to give them some props, because I know first hand the serious work they put into things. Not casting any negativity on other guides and products, but this is one you should have.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
FC guys, here's my feedback.

Please offer a text only printable copy. As much as I like emptying out my printer of colored ink and the 45 minute timeline to print out your offering I couldn't give a rats ass about the pictures.

It's definitely something we'll consider. We're going to run a survey off the website in the offseason to see what our readers would like us to adjust for next year's offerings.

One of the more immediate issues with doing multiple versions though is that it will drive up the cost of having to lay it out twice and we're trying to keep our price point at one of the more affordable draft guides available!

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
It's definitely something we'll consider. We're going to run a survey off the website in the offseason to see what our readers would like us to adjust for next year's offerings.

One of the more immediate issues with doing multiple versions though is that it will drive up the cost of having to lay it out twice and we're trying to keep our price point at one of the more affordable draft guides available!

It just takes way too long to print. That and I'm using up how many dollars worth of ink to print it off and all I see is a huge picture with teeny tiny text. Sure the product looks great but I bought it to read it and to be honest it's the one I have looked at the least because of the tiny text.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006

I have also purchased your draft guide several years in a row and could care less about the pictures. It was a nuisance to print. I'm all about the content....not pictures.

stmikes76

Nov 25, 2004
Mckeen's releases its top 30

New draft guide is loaded with content, most comprehensive reports to date!

Last edited by a moderator:

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Much appreciated to those who have subscribed. The response has been overwhelming! We'll continually be releasing free content to the website leading up to the draft and we'll do a survey after the draft based around what aspects of our guide you liked the most to make sure next year's offering is even better!

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I love the content in FC's guide but I do agree - visually it looks very slick, but it's not entirely practical. I would shrink the pics and enlarge the text next year.

grits207

Jun 24, 2009
Saint John, N.B.
I love the content in FC's guide but I do agree - visually it looks very slick, but it's not entirely practical. I would shrink the pics and enlarge the text next year.

I agree with this. I don't see any reason to get rid of the pictures altogether, they should just be made smaller. Head shots may be the best way to go for the scouting reports instead of full body pictures.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad