2012 NHL Draft Guides (ISS, McKeen's, RLR, The Hockey News, FC, Hockey Prospect)

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Just ordered mckeens. I got their 2010 guide and really liked it and was sad there was no 2011 guide. Looking forward to reading the 2012 guide.

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
I ordered your 2012 draft guide along with newsletters a while back and when I now go into my downloads, the draft guide is not showing. Am I doing something wrong?

i just tested it and i was able to download it.

after you log in at http://www.hockeyprospect.com/scouting, it's under subscribers content/downloads/nhl draft guide

if you stil have problems, please contact me via support info @ hockeyprospect.com with your hp username.

thanks Mark

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
i just tested it and i was able to download it.

after you log in at http://www.hockeyprospect.com/scouting, it's under subscribers content/downloads/nhl draft guide

if you stil have problems, please contact me via support info @ hockeyprospect.com with your hp username.

thanks Mark

Thanks for your speedy responses today and for ensuring that I received the draft guide. I appreciate the prompt service, Mark.

Also, the draft guide looks terrific.

Kman277

Apr 5, 2010
Does anyone know when either the i.s.s draft preview or the regular ($29.99) hockey prospect.com pdf file preview(not the black book) will be ready? Both were supposed to be sent out by end of may..

pokerface1

Sep 16, 2010
Just looking over 2 HockeyProspect options- The BlackBook and the lighter Draft Guide version.

from the Draft Guide-
Over 150 2012 Draft Eligible player profiles with scouting reports

from the Black Book-
Over 250 2012 Draft Eligible Prospect Reports

Is there a difference between a "player profile with scouting report" and a "prospect report?"

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Just looking over 2 HockeyProspect options- The BlackBook and the lighter Draft Guide version.

from the Draft Guide-

from the Black Book-

Is there a difference between a "player profile with scouting report" and a "prospect report?"

Haven't received my digital copy yet but I believe that the scouting reports are actual scouting reports made during the games they watched said player.

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com

from the Draft Guide-

from the Black Book-

No. It's just wording. The 2012 NHL Draft Guide has a set template for the reports so the player reports are either full or half page in size with the full pagers includings a photo. The Draft Guide was created from Black Book content on 2012 prospects.

The 2012 NHL Draft Black Book reports are not restricted in length. So regardless of the players draft year or if it's a player report or game report, we just wrote what we had on them.

While I'm at it. The Game Reports varyin length as well. Some are quite long touching on several prospects. As you can probably guess, the teams involved in the game were a factor in the amount written on a certain game. Some teams had less players to scout.

Some of our most positive feedback so far has been on the amount of info in the game reports.

Haven't received my digital copy yet but I believe that the scouting reports are actual scouting reports made during the games they watched said player.

If you already ordered it, it's an instant download after payment. Contact me at info @ hockeyprospect.com if you have any problems.

cheers,

Mark

Thanks for your speedy responses today and for ensuring that I received the draft guide. I appreciate the prompt service, Mark.

Also, the draft guide looks terrific.

No problem and thanks for the kind words. We are very pleased with the feedback so far. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

pokerface1

Sep 16, 2010
No. It's just wording. The 2012 NHL Draft Guide has a set template for the reports so the player reports are either full or half page in size with the full pagers includings a photo. The Draft Guide was created from Black Book content on 2012 prospects.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I only read the THN guide this season, didn't follow the prospects as closely and don't have time to read in depth on them outside the top ones. But the funny thing about the THN one is that all the prospect profiles tend to blend in and sound alike after a while. Good guide for $6 and I like collecting them to look back on in the future I guess.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
If you already ordered it, it's an instant download after payment. Contact me at info @ hockeyprospect.com if you have any problems.

cheers,

Mark

I payed with paypal but didn't have any money in the account or a credit card on file so it had to do a bank draft. Took 3-5 days to clear. I got my email today saying it cleared and I am checking it out now. Thank you.

This guide is sooo amazing. Gonna take me till at least the draft to get through it. My wife is gonna be sooooo pissed!!! :naughty:

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
I payed with paypal but didn't have any money in the account or a credit card on file so it had to do a bank draft. Took 3-5 days to clear. I got my email today saying it cleared and I am checking it out now. Thank you.

This guide is sooo amazing. Gonna take me till at least the draft to get through it. My wife is gonna be sooooo pissed!!! :naughty:

Ok, that was my guess as I saw there were a few echecks waiting to be cleared, but I wanted to make sure there was no problem.

Glad you like it. :handclap:

Menwithouthat tricks

Dec 25, 2002
Visit site
Well, I received my PDF version of Hockey Prospect, and I have to give it a decidedly mixed review.

The good: reasonably priced, and the descriptions of prospects are detailed and thought out and give insight into how the scouts viewed their games. Layout is very readable. When my team makes a pick, I'll look at their viewpoint and it will give me a good feel for the prospect's strong points and weak points to look out for. With their 150 prospect descriptions, I'm sure I'll find some for 3rd - 6th round picks that aren't available in my other draft guides.

The bad: their rankings seem like something out of Craig Button's mind. I know I have to respect their scouts' opinions, they certainly know a lot more than me, but some of their rankings are too off the wall for me. I mean, if Girgensons goes top 5 (hell, even top-10), I'll look back and not be completely shocked because I will have seen it here first, but c'mon! This guide does compare their rankings with those of Central Scouting, so they do provide an alternative (mainstream) ranking in addition to their own.

Also, they don't provide a mock draft, which I've come to expect in a high-end draft guide.

RyanHPscout

May 31, 2011
Well, I received my PDF version of Hockey Prospect, and I have to give it a decidedly mixed review.

The good: reasonably priced, and the descriptions of prospects are detailed and thought out and give insight into how the scouts viewed their games. Layout is very readable. When my team makes a pick, I'll look at their viewpoint and it will give me a good feel for the prospect's strong points and weak points to look out for. With their 150 prospect descriptions, I'm sure I'll find some for 3rd - 6th round picks that aren't available in my other draft guides.

The bad: their rankings seem like something out of Craig Button's mind. I know I have to respect their scouts' opinions, they certainly know a lot more than me, but some of their rankings are too off the wall for me. I mean, if Girgensons goes top 5 (hell, even top-10), I'll look back and not be completely shocked because I will have seen it here first, but c'mon! This guide does compare their rankings with those of Central Scouting, so they do provide an alternative (mainstream) ranking in addition to their own.

Also, they don't provide a mock draft, which I've come to expect in a high-end draft guide.

Thanks for your feedback.

In regards to the mock draft, several members of HockeyProspect will be putting together their own Mock Draft's. They will be released 3 per day for 10 days at hockeyprospect.com starting June 10th.

In regards to our rankings, just because we project a player in a certain area, does not mean that we expect them to get selected in that area. Your example was Girgensons at #5. We collectively feel he will be the 5th best prospect out of this draft class. I would personally be very surprised if he goes top 5 in the draft. I think there's a very realistic chance he goes top 10. But we rank him there because we feel in the end that is where he will rank among the best players from the draft class. All of our staff members who saw Girgensons are convinced of his talent level (myself included). Not only that but I've had the ability to converse with Zemgus and his understanding of himself, and the game is very impressive, and I think will only help him become a better player. The mock drafts will be geared more towards the mainstream views, because we are trying to predict which team will take what players.

To sum up the reason why we rank players the way we do, if we see a player and truely believe they're deserving of a certain spot either much higher or much lower than where the mainstream has them, there's really no reason to hold back. To put it quite bluntly, I personally don't really care where anyone else has a player ranked. I'd rather be wrong trusting what I've seen in a player than be wrong by following what the mainstream believes. If we followed the mainstream, we wouldn't have had a guy like Andrew Shaw ranked 3 years in a row. If i'm not mistaken we were the only scouting service to rank Stuart Percy in the top 25 as well. If we didn't trust what we saw in him, we never would have had him that high. I believe the mainstream on him was the second half of the 2nd round. We trust what we see in a player, and go with it.

Thank you again for choosing our Draft Guide and I hope this explains our rationale behind how we operate.

OnYourIgnoreList

Dec 21, 2006
FC guys, here's my feedback.

Please offer a text only printable copy. As much as I like emptying out my printer of colored ink and the 45 minute timeline to print out your offering I couldn't give a rats ass about the pictures.

I'll join the chorus on this one. I spent several hours manipulating the PDF to take the images out as best I could, only to realize that the font size is so small I can't read the guide for long before I get eye strain.

1. Reduce the size of the pictures.
2. Enlarge the size of the font.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I've been purchasing numerous draft guides since 2006. This year I purchased THN, ISS, FC, McKeen's, RLR and HP. The only one that hasn't arrived yet is RLR which I always find to be a very good read....should be arriving this week. The guide that really stands out so far this year is the HP Black Book. The player profiles are very detailed and well written. With some of the guides, I question whether the writers/scouts have really seen some of the players they report on. This isn't the case with HP as you can tell from the elaborate reports that these guys have been to the rinks. Many of the HP profiles also have quotes on the players that provide some additional value-added insight from scouts from a personal/candid level. Also, the game reports are a nice feature. Definitely a good read and worthwhile purchase.

zrep

Mar 19, 2012
UK
Red line report :

what is the difference between the draft guide with or without bulletin ???

Harrison

Aug 10, 2007
BC
Thanks for your feedback.

In regards to the mock draft, several members of HockeyProspect will be putting together their own Mock Draft's. They will be released 3 per day for 10 days at hockeyprospect.com starting June 10th.

Today being the tenth, I cruised over to your site to see the first mock draft, can't seem to locate it anywhere, care to share a link to it?

RyanHPscout

May 31, 2011
Today being the tenth, I cruised over to your site to see the first mock draft, can't seem to locate it anywhere, care to share a link to it?

It will probably be released later today, we'd be releasing the 28th-30th picks on the mocks done by our scouts/staff who chose to participate.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Trying to find on NHL.com, but can't seem to find exact times. Is there a link to an exact time frame of the draft and events, and the U.S. coverage?

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Trying to find on NHL.com, but can't seem to find exact times. Is there a link to an exact time frame of the draft and events, and the U.S. coverage?

Round 1 - June 22nd @ 7 PM ET
Round 2 to 7 - June 23rd @ 10 AM ET

TV - NBC Sports Network for round 1, NHL Network for rounds 2 to 7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad