2012 NHL Draft Guides (ISS, McKeen's, RLR, The Hockey News, FC, Hockey Prospect)

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
International Scouting Services - Electronic Version $50 CDN; Print Version $65 CDN. (Available May 25th, 2012)

McKeen's - Electronic Version $30 CDN. 3 Guides..January, March, Final Draft Guide (Available May 22nd-25th 2012)

Red Line Report - Print Version $45 USD (Available May/June 2012)

The Hockey News - Print and Electronic Versions available. (Available May 7th, 2012)

Future Considerations - Electronic Version $26 CDN. 3 Guides..October, February, Final Draft Guide (Available May/June 2012)

Hockey Prospect - Electronic Version $15.99; Print Version $17.99. (Available May 2012)

https://www.isshockey.com/scouting/products?category_id=12
http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1163902
http://www.redlinereport.com/index.php?option=com_facileforms&Itemid=29
http://www.thehockeynews.com/
http://futureconsiderations.ca/fcs-introduction-to-the-2012-nhl-entry-draft/
http://www.hockeyprospect.com

2009 - http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=627831
2010 - http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=714040
2011 - http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=891707

Last edited:

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
It's never too early to have any kind of discussions regarding the draft, even if it's about publications which are still months from being released. ;)

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
What exactly are these "guides"?

Worth the $$?

generally, a book (or download) with an in depth scouting report on their top 30-50 players, a smaller report on anything up to 200 players, a mock draft, a look at the top prospects for the next years draft etc. It differs a bit depending on which one/s you go with.

I got the Future Considerations and Hockey Prospects guides last season and thought they were both well worth the money

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
Future Considerations ordering info link

Future Considerations magazine said:
Want the ‘Future Considerations 2012 NHL Entry Draft Season Pass’, which includes FC’s ‘Introduction to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft’ ($5.99 value) in October, February’s ’2012 NHL Entry Draft Midterm’ ($5.99 value) and FC’s premier release, the ’2012 NHL Entry Draft Guide’ ($19.99 value)? Bundle the three together and save! Get all three for only $25.99 + GST!

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I took the Hockey Prospect information out of the original post because it is unclear as to what exactly it is they will offer this year. After doing more research it appears their "2012 Entry Draft Black Book" is only offered to their pro subscribers, in which that package is listed at $299.99. They also list a Draft Guide (PDF) available as part of their "Insider" package for a cost of $69.99.

It is unclear if the guide will be available for purchase on its own. I know their 2010 and 2011 Guides were available for purchase on amazon.

If a staff member from that site would like to clear that up for us, please shoot me a PM, and I will re-add it to the original post.

Last edited:

RyanHPscout

May 31, 2011
I took the Hockey Prospect information out of the original post because it is unclear as to what exactly it is they will offer this year. After doing more research it appears their "2012 Entry Draft Black Book" is only offered to their pro subscribers, in which that package is listed at $299.99. They also list a Draft Guide (PDF) available as part of their "Insider" package for a cost of $69.99.

It is unclear if the guide will be available for purchase on its own. I know their 2010 and 2011 Guides were available for purchase on amazon.

If a staff member from that site would like to clear that up for us, please shoot me a PM, and I will re-add it to the original post.

Yes the draft guide will be available first in print and later on in PDF.

I don't know the exact price but our draft guide should be very close to what it was last year.

The $69.99 is something different we tried this year. We release a monthly newsletter with prospect info, features, and a Top 30 Ranking from September-December, this month we started the Top 60 ranking. We'll have a 2013 Top 30 next month, stuff like that. But it also includes our NHL Draft Guide, and the OHL Draft Guide in the price as well.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Yes the draft guide will be available first in print and later on in PDF.

I don't know the exact price but our draft guide should be very close to what it was last year.

The $69.99 is something different we tried this year. We release a monthly newsletter with prospect info, features, and a Top 30 Ranking from September-December, this month we started the Top 60 ranking. We'll have a 2013 Top 30 next month, stuff like that. But it also includes our NHL Draft Guide, and the OHL Draft Guide in the price as well.

Alright, thank you.

So the draft guide will also be available for purchase in print and PDF on its own? Or only as part of the $70 package?

And if it will be sold on its own, will it be available on amazon.ca and amazon.com like in previous years?

I'm just curious so I can update the original post. If you don't know the exact info yet I can just keep it as "info not available."

RyanHPscout

May 31, 2011
Alright, thank you.

So the draft guide will also be available for purchase in print and PDF on its own? Or only as part of the $70 package?

And if it will be sold on its own, will it be available on amazon.ca and amazon.com like in previous years?

I'm just curious so I can update the original post. If you don't know the exact info yet I can just keep it as "info not available."

Yes The guide will be sold on it's own, it'll be in the $15-$25 range, same as last years.

I believe the plan is for it to be available on amazon, but I cannot say 100%

I will get particular details asap on both.

RyanHPscout

May 31, 2011
Hey, spoke with Mark tonight. This is what HockeyProspect is offering..

$29.99 - 11 Monthly Newsletters (usually about 12 pages) inc. prospect features, Top 30 Draft rankings (Sep-Dec) Top 60 (Jan-June) and the PDF version of the 2012 NHL Draft Guide.

$69.99 - Includes Prospect information, 11 Monthly Newsletters (About 12 pages each), 2012 NHL Draft Guide (PDF) and 2012 OHL Priority Selection Draft Guide (PDF)

The Guides alone will be on Amazon. Last year they were 21.95 (print) & 16.95 (PDF). We're looking at keeping those prices for this year. NHL Draft Guide will cover all 7 rounds of the draft. They will be released in May, but the actual date is still TBD.

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
Future Considerations

Remember that if you sign up for the FC package you get the October Draft Preview (50 + pages), the soon to be released FC Draft Mid-Term Report as well as the lengthy draft guide in May. That is a lot of info to get the draft junkie up to speed. (see the below samples)

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I'm old school in the sense that I MUCH prefer an actual print copy.

So I'll definitely pick up:

The Hockey News - Not very in depth, but I'm a collector and it'll come as part of my subscription.

Hockey Prospect - I'll purchase it again, assuming it's available on amazon like it was 2010 and 2011.

McKeen's - In my opinion it's the best draft guide out there, and I was quite disappointed that there wasn't one published last year. I'm also disappointed with the fact that they're going strictly PDF this year, but I'll still more than likely end up purchasing it.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Anyone know where I can buy hand copies of these draft issue magazines? I used to get hockey news in the mail up until 2 months ago.

I live in Texas so there aren't much stores that sell these... Or any stores that do actually.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Anyone know where I can buy hand copies of these draft issue magazines? I used to get hockey news in the mail up until 2 months ago.

I live in Texas so there aren't much stores that sell these... Or any stores that do actually.

The only draft guide that is sold in stores is The Hockey News. All other guides are only available online.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
"Goaltending is not getting any younger..." Pavelec is 24. Why would Winnipeg pass on Dumba to take a goalie?

Edit: Same criticism of Pittsburgh and Washington selections.

I've seen some questionable picks, but that takes the cake. Winnipeg is brutally thin at top 6 forward but we pass on Gaunce, Collberg, and Girgensons for a goalie when our goalie is 24?

Even if we didn't take a forward, why would we take a goalie over Dumba or Ceci?

That's just terrible.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Last year I bought THN, FC and Hockey Prospect and was very happy with all 3. But if I had to recommend just one, it would be FC.

I'm glad McKeen's is back this year (although my wallet may not be).

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
I'm old school in the sense that I MUCH prefer an actual print copy.

So I'll definitely pick up:

The Hockey News - Not very in depth, but I'm a collector and it'll come as part of my subscription.

Hockey Prospect - I'll purchase it again, assuming it's available on amazon like it was 2010 and 2011.

McKeen's - In my opinion it's the best draft guide out there, and I was quite disappointed that there wasn't one published last year. I'm also disappointed with the fact that they're going strictly PDF this year, but I'll still more than likely end up purchasing it.

Ryan has posted some info but i'll just throw up a quick summary.This year we have 3 books:

1. 2012 NHL Draft Guide - It will be available on Amazon.com and .ca (always slow on amazon.ca but out of my control) It will also be available in PDF - looks great on the iPad. The PDF version is also included in our $29.99 Newsletter package. Honestly, if you got our Digital guide last year, or plan to this year, this is a steal deal. 11 monthly newsletters plus the Digital Draft Guide. Prices - I need page counts but price should be like last year.

2. 2012 NHL Black Book (new this year)- If you are a prospect junkie, this is for you. I wanted to produce a product for fans that was simuliar to what we send our clients. It will contain everything from scouting reports, rankings to the actual game reports from our scouts. I'll include as many game reports as I can without the page count getting crazy high. There will be MUCH MORE INFO in this book than anything I have ever seen prospect wise. I'll give more info prior to release. PRICE: TBD ( I need final page counts) but it will probably be around the $75.00 range. It might not be available on Amazon. If it is, it will probably be quite pricey. (they take a huge cut) I'm working on it's distribution options right now.

3. Draft Year- Brendan Gaunce - a fun look at his draft year through the eyes of Brendan Gaunce. John Matisz (main author) and myself have been speaking to Brendan all season long (John more than me). This book should be in the $10.00 range and will be on amazon.com and .ca - Brendan is a great kid and was perfect for this book. He does not just give us yes and no answers. As someone who has coached at the Junior level for years, trust me, there are many players who we could not do this book with.

You can also keep and eye out for a new iPhone/ iPad app in the next month (hopefully) - the first app includes all three of our previous books in the app in PDf format.

enjoy the playoff races!

stmikes76

Nov 25, 2004
McKeen's January Newsletter

Just got my copy of the Mckeen's newsletter, WOW are the scouting reports ever in detail then again I would expect nothing less from them. Their yearbook that they have been putting out for 15+ years is in-depth too.

The WJC scouting reports are long and thorough and every draft eligible player is featured, it seems like every single good player on the U17's were mentioned too as there were over 50 reports.

The reports are not stat based or generic like other services, they actually paint a picture of the player! After I read the report I have a general idea of what type of player he is and how he fits into the NHL landscape.

I am excited to receive another one and of course their annual Draft Guide!!

The layout is simple but It looked really good on my Ipad.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Just got my copy of the Mckeen's newsletter, WOW are the scouting reports ever in detail then again I would expect nothing less from them. Their yearbook that they have been putting out for 15+ years is in-depth too.

The WJC scouting reports are long and thorough and every draft eligible player is featured, it seems like every single good player on the U17's were mentioned too as there were over 50 reports.

The reports are not stat based or generic like other services, they actually paint a picture of the player! After I read the report I have a general idea of what type of player he is and how he fits into the NHL landscape.

I am excited to receive another one and of course their annual Draft Guide!!

The layout is simple but It looked really good on my Ipad.

You must work for them with a selling job like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad