2012 CBA/Lockout talk, It's not looking good VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
That would be a nightmare. I like the Bruins as they are now, thanks. I don't want to be forced to cheer for a team of strangers, while all the players we have grown to love sign with the likes of Montreal, Vancouver and Pittsburgh.

As a Bruins fan I agree 100%.

A nightmare.

As a fan of social experiments I can't think of anything better to try in sports.

This reminds me of Charles Finley's idea on how to deal with the new Player's Association in baseball. Make every player a free agent every single season. He was shot down by the other owners that didn't want to lose their good players every year.

Little did they know Marvin Miller was terrified of the idea and was relieved when it wasn't offered.

Now that is only true if every player becomes a FA every single year, so not sure it would apply to the NHL in this case. No one could stop an owner from signing a multiple-year deal, and then boom, advantage players.

thegodfather

Dec 6, 2005
Stratford, Ontario
Apathy/fright setting in for me.

I would rather them loose a season than have the ideas of voiding all contracts floated out there. I know in the end it wont happen, but I want nothing to do with that path.

Have to admit that would be interesting though if they voided all contracts.

Would it though mean all players would become free agents or would teams still own the rights to the players.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Have to admit that would be interesting though if they voided all contracts.

Would it though mean all players would become free agents or would teams still own the rights to the players.

There would have to be an agreement between teams to only sign the players they previously had under contract.

Given the cohesive nature of the owners currently I believe they would keep this agreement.

SO you would see GMs signing the same players they already had to new deals, presumably for about 40-80 cents on the dollar

Don't see any way the owners OK a free for all. Teams like Nashville would probably fold before making themselves vulnerable to the other 30 NHL teams bidding for Weber.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
There would have to be an agreement between teams to only sign the players they previously had under contract.

Given the cohesive nature of the owners currently I believe they would keep this agreement.

SO you would see GMs signing the same players they already had to new deals, presumably for about 40-80 cents on the dollar

Don't see any way the owners OK a free for all. Teams like Nashville would probably fold before making themselves vulnerable to the other 30 NHL teams bidding for Weber.

I wonder if that lawsuit would be the biggest of all-time....

You can't work in concert to intentionaly deflate salaries. What you are suggesting is illegal.

Also, the owners are the one arguing that they all the contracts would be null and void.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I wonder if that lawsuit would be the biggest of all-time....

You can't work in concert to intentionaly deflate salaries. What you are suggesting is illegal.

Also, the owners are the one arguing that they all the contracts would be null and void.

I understand your point.

But are you arguing that a free for all between all 30 teams is in the leagues best interest or that of any team other than the Maple Leafs?

If contracts are null and void to me it seems only logical that there is a gentlemans agreement among owners to only sign players they previously had under contract.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I understand your point.

But are you arguing that a free for all between all 30 teams is in the leagues best interest or that of any team other than the Maple Leafs?

If contracts are null and void to me it seems only logical that there is a gentlemans agreement among owners to only sign players they previously had under contract.

You don't understand my point if you think a gentlemen agreement is okay. That is collusion, it violates the law.

And I think it is terrible for the owners. They shouldn't have suggested It.

Bruins781

Jul 31, 2012

This would be an antitrust violation. Essentially, the union's move would prevent the teams from having any agreements, written or otherwise, on the way labor is contracted. Each team would be free to spend as much or as little money as it wanted, and to offer any contract terms it wished. Toronto would have a $200M payroll and every 23 year old superstar signed to a 12 year contract. It would be the same labor model as baseball, without a luxury tax to somewhat keep the disparity between small markets and large markets in check.

IntentionallyWide

The poster formerly known as gobruins14
Sponsor
Aug 9, 2006
No communication again between the two sides today. Really pisses me off. I'm joining the ranks of the apathetic.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
That would be a nightmare. I like the Bruins as they are now, thanks. I don't want to be forced to cheer for a team of strangers, while all the players we have grown to love sign with the likes of Montreal, Vancouver and Pittsburgh.

Exactly. I'd hate to suddenly be expected to cheer on players I've hated for years.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
No communication again between the two sides today. Really pisses me off. I'm joining the ranks of the apathetic.

If they don't have an agreement in place by midnight December 31st I am filling out the Life Coach Forms here to be able to start telling people to boycott games when they come back, burn jerseys, and refuse to get excited the first time the Bruins have a line brawl against Buffalo.

that said- 2 weeks from last Friday is the 28th

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I may be the one of the only ones still hoping and holding out for a season

It amazes me that it's gone this far, I never thought the players would be this foolish

I'm almost like who gives a ****...screw it; but we'll see how I feel if this really does end a few days before New Years,

They better schedule Buffalo the first game and it better be Lucic-Campbell-Thornton lining up against McCormick-Ott-Scott.

I want to see Chara and Scott go at it opening shift and see McQuaid getting ahold of Ott somehow

cat400

Jul 30, 2005
I understand your point.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Collusion

"Collusion is a business term that describes a situation where the few owners artificially limit the salaries of the workers in the industry through concerted action. Major League Baseball went through a period of collusion during the off-seasons of 1985, 1986, and 1987.

After the 1985 season, at the urging of Commissioner Peter Ueberroth, owners came to an unwritten agreement not to compete with each other over the services of free agents, and to reduce significantly the length of contracts they would offer. As a result, free agents were forced to re-sign with their original teams for little or no pay raise, unless their team indicated that it was not interested in their services
."

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
If they don't have an agreement in place by midnight December 31st I am filling out the Life Coach Forms here to be able to start telling people to boycott games when they come back, burn jerseys, and refuse to get excited the first time the Bruins have a line brawl against Buffalo.

that said- 2 weeks from last Friday is the 28th

Yeah, I am gonna give them a week after new years until I join the jersey burning brigade....since I saw an fb post from my friend who works for the Lightning that she has 2 weeks off work after this week. So the resolution should come sometime Jan 2-Jan 8 if there is in fact an agreement.

I also expect resolution on my Loges being fixed so that I don't have bruised knees every game from the seats in front of me folding up into me when the people in front of me sit down. Not gonna put up with that after this.

I expect the backs of those seats to be permanantly fixed into place so they don't fold...or to be moved to seats in Loge 1, 2, 3, 10, 11, 12.

If that doesn't happen I'm saying sayanara Jeremy!

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I am hearing next week a deal gets done. Take it fwiw...

You're one of the best posters on here and one of my personally well respected go to opinions, so ill take this as a ray of light

Good article. Agree about NHL's first offer being what set the tone and unified the NHL against the big greedy mean owners. I know you usually lowball with the first offer in negotiating, but it's too bad the NHL leadership didn't see that one coming

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC
I am hearing next week a deal gets done. Take it fwiw...

Wow, awesome. Someone else coming and saying their 'sources' are saying a deal gets done next week. Now you may be connected, you may not, but if you are I'm sure your sources don't know jack. Just like everyone else's sources.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad