2012 CBA/Lockout talk, It's not looking good VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/rangers/nhl_fears_fehr_itself_4hyqBWvZCWQFffGXHbTEtL

"Stop and think for a moment. Here is the league that just over a week ago was doing everything in its power to keep Don Fehr out of the bargaining process, and is now going to court to ensure he continues to represent the players in the bargaining process.

For weeks now, the NHL has sent its messengers to deliver the message the NHLPA is not truly united behind Fehr and union leadership; that the players, left to their own decision-making process, would rush to accept whatever the league at the time had on the table.

Or, in another word, “Vote!â€

Yet there in Paragraph 54 of the complaint is the NHL citing numerous examples of players articulating support for Fehr and the PA leadership which the league posits, “... do not suggest that the NHL players are unhappy with their Union representation [or] wish to oust current NHLPA leadership...â€

Don Fehr. League can’t live with him, now the league can’t live without him."

Ha! He's totally flipped the script on the owners one real line of attack (undermining player support for Fehr).

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
what would you folks think if this thing is over in 2 weeks prior to the New Year and games commence about the 10th of January and they get in a 52-56 game season over Jan thru April:nod:

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/rangers/nhl_fears_fehr_itself_4hyqBWvZCWQFffGXHbTEtL

"Stop and think for a moment. Here is the league that just over a week ago was doing everything in its power to keep Don Fehr out of the bargaining process, and is now going to court to ensure he continues to represent the players in the bargaining process.

For weeks now, the NHL has sent its messengers to deliver the message the NHLPA is not truly united behind Fehr and union leadership; that the players, left to their own decision-making process, would rush to accept whatever the league at the time had on the table.

Or, in another word, “Vote!â€

Yet there in Paragraph 54 of the complaint is the NHL citing numerous examples of players articulating support for Fehr and the PA leadership which the league posits, “... do not suggest that the NHL players are unhappy with their Union representation [or] wish to oust current NHLPA leadership...â€

LOL, that is classic! I keep bouncing back and forth in my disdain for the two sides, but ultimately they are both awful. As much as I want to scream at the players to just take the deal already, when you read stuff like this that completely exposes the owners' hypocrisy, it's kind of hard to blame Fehr for trying to stick it to them.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
what would you folks think if this thing is over in 2 weeks prior to the New Year and games commence about the 10th of January and they get in a 52-56 game season over Jan thru April:nod:

:sarcasm:..is this a trick question ? :)

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs

I would think that the players finally got their head straight. Better late than never...

And 52-56 games would be fine by me. Would even help the Leafs sneak in as a shorter schedule can help to have some surprises.

Sign me in for a start on dec 31 with all 30 teams in action.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I would think that the players finally got their head straight. Better late than never...

And 52-56 games would be fine by me. Would even help the Leafs sneak in as a shorter schedule can help to have some surprises.

Sign me in for a start on dec 31 with all 30 teams in action.

not sure that will happen, would be nice but its likely important to them to atleast have the deal in place

I'll believe it when I see it but

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I think I'd buy a bunch of cheap tickets, get out to more games, give JJ some beer money and enjoy the hell out of hockey again.

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC

Believe me, it will be a relief.

I will probably watch again in Feb sometime.

I will not get Centre Ice again for a number of years.

I will not buy any hockey related items for a while.

I will never, ever, ever again question why the fans crazily boo Gary Bettman like I questioned the fans in Vancouver when Boston won the Cup. To think, I even felt bad for the troll.

Kaoz*

Or, in another word, “Vote!”

Yet there in Paragraph 54 of the complaint is the NHL citing numerous examples of players articulating support for Fehr and the PA leadership which the league posits, “... do not suggest that the NHL players are unhappy with their Union representation [or] wish to oust current NHLPA leadership...”

Larry Brooks draws some very interesting conclusions here based on the NHL's lawsuit. Of course, when a journalist is calling Fehr a true believer in the collective bargaining process (this in itself being quite comical, although I believe unintentionally so, as it's not something you'd expect to see the guy who told MLB players to strike just before their postseason called) and referring to Bettman as the discredited face of the NHL right off the hop I guess you don't (or shouldn't) really expect an impartial, unbiased take on the situation. Also in the attempts at levity by comically assigning pet names to the other executives on the NHL side such as "The Hill" and "The Buster" as well as the witty reference to the NHL as the "No Hope League" and I'm not sure why I read it expecting anything resembling a quality piece

Pointing out that although the NHL has stated 18 of the leagues 30 teams are losing money, then made the supreme blunder of saying “the system of common employment rules [the CBA] instituted in 2005 improved the financial stability of the entire NHL, including most of its clubs...” in their lawsuit for instance. It isn't possible that both statements are true? It seems to me it would be very possible, and considering the financial ruin the NHL was in in 2004, plausible even especially when looking at the growth in revenues (1.96 billion to 3.3 billion) and the shrunken players share (76% to 57%). It becomes pretty obvious teams and the league on a whole would be more financially stable. Financially stable however doesn't equate to financially prospering.

Then stating the League is going to court to ensure Fehr continues to represent the players. That seems like quite a bit of a reach no? They've filed a preemptive lawsuit, exactly as the NBA did during their lockout in an attempt to solidify the legality of the owners lockout. The specific quotes Brooks points to here are the NHL's attempt to show that the disclaimer of interest is nothing more then a negotiating tactic by the PA, but by subtly leaving out that context it becomes far far easier to spin.

Perhaps the owners did want to get rid of Fehr and have players question their own support of him. In fact, that's pretty much guaranteed just as Fehr would equally love to be rid of the hardliners on the other side of the equation. Hell, I sure wish the players lost all faith in Fehr and had a vote on the latest owners offer as I believe the majority of guys Fehr represents would have said yes to it and we'd be gearing up for a season right now. The points Brooks highlights here show if anything the owners wishing to resolve the issue through the collective bargain process but Brooks spins that somehow into support for Fehr. Not that it matters, as this lawsuit by the NHL is neither, it's an expected (again, the NBA launched the exact same lawsuits against the NBAPA during their lockout) counter to the PA's tactic of dissolving the union.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005

i would be happy theyre playing, but id have to see the schedule.
that seems like alot of games crammed into a small time frame.

I would absolutely hate for there to be like 4 home games every other week. I just wouldnt be able to make them. probably only 25% of them. i would hope the Bruins would offer a refund if thats the case. We'll see.

Kaoz*

Interesting read.. i learned a lot.. but in learning all of that.. I also got more angry. Seriously. This should've never came to this. I did however like the I Hate Lawyers.

I understand. I barely like myself.
That killed me when i read it.

I was just happy to read something impartial, where the interviewer and interviewee didn't take sides and instead just threw facts out there allowing you to come to your own conclusions.

Breath of fresh air at this point in this debacle.

That line was hilarious as well, wonder how many other lawyers feel that way.

Lawyers, the ultimate
troll.png

BlackNgold 84

Known Kellyist
Nov 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I was just happy to read something impartial, where the interviewer and interviewee didn't take sides and instead just threw facts out there allowing you to come to your own conclusions.

Breath of fresh air at this point in this debacle.

That line was hilarious as well, wonder how many other lawyers feel that way.

Lawyers, the ultimate
troll.png

Agreed.. i'm getting tired of the act being put out by both sides. I hope this whole thing leads to what happened with the NBA. Someones gonna walk towards the middle from these two groups and convince one or both sides to come back to the table and settle down.

thegodfather

Dec 6, 2005
Stratford, Ontario

Honestly Dan I'll be hard pressed to watch any games. I was following all the news fairly close until recently and just don't care if they come back at all this year.

I'll come back because I love hockey and at some point all will be forgotten, but they'll have to win me back.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Honestly Dan I'll be hard pressed to watch any games. I was following all the news fairly close until recently and just don't care if they come back at all this year.

I'll come back because I love hockey and at some point all will be forgotten, but they'll have to win me back.

well, I know someone very close to the situation who has been pessemistic the entire time on this although I choose to believe it would get done

this person does not work for or is a family member or player for the Bruins and is pretty plugged in (there is more than just the Fehr Brothers here ya know)- there is also one HFer here who knows what I speak of and what, when, who, how, and where this comes from

now that I am all disgusted I get yesterday that even among all the stuff we are seeing going on between the PA and ownership group this thing will be over within 2 weeks and that person is very optimistic.

it aint Fehr but its pretty good

we shall see, but its ironic the day I packed it in is the day I got this

I'm pretty disgusted but if they atleast have the deal in this calendar year I'm sure I'll get over it- but until my friend (here) that also knows about this, I'll believe it when it happens

thegodfather

Dec 6, 2005
Stratford, Ontario
well, I know someone very close to the situation who has been pessemistic the entire time on this although I choose to believe it would get done

this person does not work for or is a family member or player for the Bruins and is pretty plugged in (there is more than just the Fehr Brothers here ya know)- there is also one HFer here who knows what I speak of and what, when, who, how, and where this comes from

now that I am all disgusted I get yesterday that even among all the stuff we are seeing going on between the PA and ownership group this thing will be over within 2 weeks and that person is very optimistic.

it aint Fehr but its pretty good

we shall see, but its ironic the day I packed it in is the day I got this

I'm pretty disgusted but if they atleast have the deal in this calendar year I'm sure I'll get over it- but until my friend (here) that also knows about this, I'll believe it when it happens

:laugh: I had to read your post twice to wrap my head around it.

Well I've never doubted you and never will, but like you I will believe when I see it.

Until then the NHL and NHLPA can all go to HELL.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I've noticed an apathy about all of this creeping onto this board the last two weeks.

That is very scary for the league. If the Lunatic Fringe starts getting apathetic.....

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
I've noticed an apathy about all of this creeping onto this board the last two weeks.

That is very scary for the league. If the Lunatic Fringe starts getting apathetic.....

Apathy/fright setting in for me.

I would rather them loose a season than have the ideas of voiding all contracts floated out there. I know in the end it wont happen, but I want nothing to do with that path.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Apathy/fright setting in for me.

I would rather them loose a season than have the ideas of voiding all contracts floated out there. I know in the end it wont happen, but I want nothing to do with that path.

That would be a nightmare. I like the Bruins as they are now, thanks. I don't want to be forced to cheer for a team of strangers, while all the players we have grown to love sign with the likes of Montreal, Vancouver and Pittsburgh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad