2012 CBA/Lockout talk, It's not looking good VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Wow, awesome. Someone else coming and saying their 'sources' are saying a deal gets done next week. Now you may be connected, you may not, but if you are I'm sure your sources don't know jack. Just like everyone else's sources.

Knowing Bru, and knowing his sources, he is as connected as anyone..Trust me the person he knows would be right in the loop at a high level during these kinda things..Makes me far more optimisitc that's for sure.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Wow, awesome. Someone else coming and saying their 'sources' are saying a deal gets done next week. Now you may be connected, you may not, but if you are I'm sure your sources don't know jack. Just like everyone else's sources.

Source may be right, may not be but I could not care less what you think.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I am hearing next week a deal gets done. Take it fwiw...

what is crazy is if you look at where they are at in this process its really down to that 5 year contract length- and why can't it be massaged to maybe 7 with age restrictions and percentage increases or decreases from year to year.

its so pathetic....I'm sure I'll be excited because I'm an idiot over some things (hopefully just some things:amazed:) but right now I'm disgusted

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Source may be right, may not be but I could not care less what you think.

well, the stuff I got is pretty good (actually grrrrrrrrrrreat) if I must say and I was told 2 weeks and this was on the 14th so we shall see (one other long time poster who I'd say is well-respected, certainly more than me, knows also and is on board with this evaluation of the individual:laugh:

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
well, the stuff I got is pretty good (actually grrrrrrrrrrreat) if I must say and I was told 2 weeks and this was on the 14th so we shall see (one other long time poster who I'd say is well-respected, certainly more than me, knows also and is on board with this evaluation of the individual:laugh:

Was it Quaider? Just wink twice if I'm right.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
You're one of the best posters on here and one of my personally well respected go to opinions, so ill take this as a ray of light

Good article. Agree about NHL's first offer being what set the tone and unified the NHL against the big greedy mean owners. I know you usually lowball with the first offer in negotiating, but it's too bad the NHL leadership didn't see that one coming

I don't care how low-ball the first offer is, you laugh and make a counter offer.

To quote the inimitable Michael Felger "They bit their nose to spite their face." :laugh:

Kaoz*

what is crazy is if you look at where they are at in this process its really down to that 5 year contract length- and why can't it be massaged to maybe 7 with age restrictions and percentage increases or decreases from year to year.

its so pathetic....I'm sure I'll be excited because I'm an idiot over some things (hopefully just some things:amazed:) but right now I'm disgusted

It probably could be messaged somewhat with the addition of variance, but the PA doesn't like the 5% variance either. They wanted a 25% variance I believe, which is a huge gap and really does nothing to fix the issue of cap circumvention. I think the NHL would likely give up term before variance, but who knows? Maybe they aren't willing to give up either as they are looking for a way to make those non traditional markets appealing to free agents.

Maybe that will be the PA's eventual take home though, perhaps the NHL is making a bigger deal out of term then they need to because they knew a disclaimer likely to be coming to increase leverage on the players side. Keep a couple of cards close to the chest that you can throw out at a later date to give the PA the moral victory they'll need after the DOI happens.

Hard to say, as unlike the players the owners aren't on twitter letting us in on their tactics.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
It probably could be messaged somewhat with the addition of variance, but the PA doesn't like the 5% variance either. They wanted a 25% variance I believe, which is a huge gap and really does nothing to fix the issue of cap circumvention. I think the NHL would likely give up term before variance, but who knows? Maybe they aren't willing to give up either as they are looking for a way to make those non traditional markets appealing to free agents.

Maybe that will be the PA's eventual take home though, perhaps the NHL is making a bigger deal out of term then they need to because they knew a disclaimer likely to be coming to increase leverage on the players side. Keep a couple of cards close to the chest that you can throw out at a later date to give the PA the moral victory they'll need after the DOI happens.

Hard to say, as unlike the players the owners aren't on twitter letting us in on their tactics.

I was wondering why this guy @JeremyJacobs wasn't giving me anything substantial.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I don't care how low-ball the first offer is, you laugh and make a counter offer.

To quote the inimitable Michael Felger "They bit their nose to spite their face." :laugh:

Spoken like someone who has never had a boss come to them and say "I'm cutting your pay by 24% and until you accept, I'm locking the doors and you can take a long unpaid vacation."

Unless you're Mahatma Gandhi, I call bull crap on your ability to simply "laugh it off" and make a counter offer.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
No doubt, but who would have guessed a bunch of millionaire athletes would act like entitled babies?

A sober person, for one

Funny I thought the millonaire owners are the ones acting entitled. They borrow money to buy a team, borrow money to run it, and claim that they are entitled to make a profit on hockey in places like Arizona and with franchises like the Islanders.

Kaoz*

Spoken like someone who has never had a boss come to them and say "I'm cutting your pay by 24% and until you accept, I'm locking the doors and you can take a long unpaid vacation."

Unless you're Mahatma Gandhi, I call bull crap on your ability to simply "laugh it off" and make a counter offer.

For most of us to have our pay cut 24% would mean we'd no longer be able to afford to live, or at the very least would have to cut out or cut back on quite a few necessities to do so. That's obviously not the case with these guys who can afford multiple houses, multiple vehicles, and a plethora of toys to boot.

Also, players enter into their contracts knowing full well CBA negotiations can and most likely will redefine those terms. In that context, you may not like it but it's something you have to accept. I get a bonus yearly based on the companies profit margin and in certain years because the company didn't meet expectations (set by the owners) for profit margin the bonus was held back. I didn't like it, but I didn't refuse to work because I didn't get it. It was cushion money, not a necessity I needed to live.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad