Prospect Info: 2012-2013 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 7/3) *Part IV*

Status
Not open for further replies.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
Bad bad turnover by Lindberg there in his own zone that led to a goal. Lucky for him that time had just expired.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
For those who watched both MSC and Lindberg, can you compare and contrast the 2?
Thanks.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Bad bad turnover by Lindberg there in his own zone that led to a goal. Lucky for him that time had just expired.

Yeah, and he made a pass at the attacking blueline that was mishandled just before Canada tied it.

No matter what, he was probably among the top 4-5 forwards for Sweden tonight. Awsome experience for him. I mean, how many ever gets to go up against a lineup like this:
Andrew Ladd (A) 28 Claude Giroux 91 Steven Stamkos
12 Eric Staal (C) 9 Matt Duchene 14 Jordan Eberle
4 Taylor Hall 90 Ryan O'Reilly 53 Jeff Skinner
24 Matt Read 11 Jordan Staal 17 Wayne Simmonds

It would be the best team by far in the NHL. Its a huge confidence booster. The WCH's is the WCH's, but the WCH's on home ice is something else. OL has been there and gone up agaisnt Giroux/Duchene/OReilly/Staal shift after shift after shift. That stuff definitely gives you a push in the summer when preparing for a new season, and when camp starts its a tremendous diffrence if you hits the ice after playing some SEL/"OHL" game.

And he definitely made alot of good plays out there. Canada has an insane PP, and Lindberg PKed on regular basis. He got the puck up ice on a regular basis, and made 3-4 good offensive plays. When Sweden where pushed back he a couple of times got away with the puck and took it up ice, and not only like got it deep -- but challenged the D's and created something.

Awsome!

I was rooting for Sweden because of Lindberg and us having a whole bunch of Swedes, but after the vicious, unprovoked attempt to injure Eric Staal, I'm rooting for Canada. Edler is an a--hole.

Knees on knees has no place in the game, but it was also very unfortunate. It was a knee on knee, but E Staal was almost standing still and Edler wasn't moving fast. But the impact was very unfortunate, Eric's knee was bent a bit and the blade was firmly against the ice.

Last edited:

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
I saw the game from the 2nd period on. Lindberg definitely didn't look out of place against a very, very good lineup. Apart from the stars amongs the Swedish forwards he was one of the best players. He had that one bad turnover that led to the goal which didn't count and he struggled on faceoffs today, but still, if the new season started today, I'd say he could play on our 4th line already. Of course he might have to adapt to the smaller ice, but his defensive game should translate pretty quick. How much offense there will be is the big question.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
A 50-55 point player is not a third liner, that's a very good second liner if he is merely an offensive guy. A two way player who scores 50-55 points is a borderline first liner.

That's fair. However, say Stepan and Brassard to some extent continue their play with the Rangers. No, they probably won't both be PPG players. Still I think Step can be a 70 point two way center. Brassard probably has 70 point potential too, at least 60. I think Lindberg if ever did become a 50 point player and if he's good defensively would become more of a Jordan Staal guy. If everyone fulfills their potential we can be a VERY poor man's Pens, where we're 3 deep, just without the generational talents.

Is Lindberg good defensively? Do you think he can slip into the 3rd line next year be a checker that can skate and put up some points (not asking if he can get 50 points next year) and not look out of place?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Is Lindberg good defensively? Do you think he can slip into the 3rd line next year be a checker that can skate and put up some points (not asking if he can get 50 points next year) and not look out of place?

He is definitly very good defensively. In absolute terms, he is today probably on par with Derek Stepan for example. And that is not bad at all for a young rookie. For a center playing defense is also alot about being able to get the puck out of trouble, and Stepan is really good there. But so is Lindberg, and got that 5th sense of getting his stick into passing lanes etc. The challenge for him is the physical play, its the biggest transition.

But in the end, I also think he will be given some time. We just got a heck of a log-jam right now. I think Lindberg could do really well right now in a perfect position for him, and I think that would be like a 3rd line with say Brassard on his left and Zucc on the right (Brassard-Lindberg-Zucc), or a line that would be good both ways but he would get someone that moves the puck somewhat like him to play with.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2012
NY
He is definitly very good defensively. In absolute terms, he is today probably on par with Derek Stepan for example. And that is not bad at all for a young rookie.

I consider Stepan to be our 2nd best defensive forward after Callahan. Is Lindberg really that good defensively already?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I consider Stepan to be our 2nd best defensive forward after Callahan. Is Lindberg really that good defensively already?

Almost atleast.

Early on, when Lindberg would be finding his way, he would probably have a few give aways etc.

Kershaw

He is definitly very good defensively. In absolute terms, he is today probably on par with Derek Stepan for example. And that is not bad at all for a young rookie. For a center playing defense is also alot about being able to get the puck out of trouble, and Stepan is really good there. But so is Lindberg, and got that 5th sense of getting his stick into passing lanes etc. The challenge for him is the physical play, its the biggest transition.

But in the end, I also think he will be given some time. We just got a heck of a log-jam right now. I think Lindberg could do really well right now in a perfect position for him, and I think that would be like a 3rd line with say Brassard on his left and Zucc on the right (Brassard-Lindberg-Zucc), or a line that would be good both ways but he would get someone that moves the puck somewhat like him to play with.
Stepan is an elite defensive centerman. According to defensive Goals vs. Threshold, he had the best rating amongst forwards. Ahead of Selke candidates Datsyuk, Bergeron and Toews. If OL is that good defensively already, then what are we waiting for? He can nicely slot up in Beaver's spot.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Almost atleast.

Early on, when Lindberg would be finding his way, he would probably have a few give aways etc.

Great to hear. What type of defense is he?

Is he like Stepan, who uses his brain to get his stick in the right place for turnovers? Or is he like Cally, who depends on using his body to block shots?

Kershaw

As for Lindberg, I did like his defensive game tonight, minus the miscue on the game tying goal. On that play, he was outmuscled on the boards and lost the puck. Overall, he did have some bursts of speed and some nice takeaways, but nothing to write home about performance wise. It is very hard to stand out in a game involving multiple all-star players.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
Lindberg looked pretty good tonight given the level of the competition and tempo of the game. His growth over the past year has been pretty remarkable.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Can't they put him as the 3rd line center (they did it with Miller) and amnesty Richards for next year? Seems like there's no reason to demote Brassard.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
If this guy is even close to Stepan in regards to defensive ability right now, the NYR are making a huge mistake by not having him over for playoffs already. It's not like he doesn't have playoff experience in a pro league. He would instantly upgrade our 4th line, not to mention on faceoffs.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
If this guy is even close to Stepan in regards to defensive ability right now, the NYR are making a huge mistake by not having him over for playoffs already. It's not like he doesn't have playoff experience in a pro league. He would instantly upgrade our 4th line, not to mention on faceoffs.

I don't think they have the ability to bring him over until after the World Championships anyway.

greenday

Nov 3, 2010
sweden
Las Vegas

It is planned that Lindberg is going to Las Vegas on a "gold-trip" with his team on Tuesday. (skelleftea aik) immediately after the World Championships.

But if he gets to go there I do not know.
it's probably up to Rangers, if they want him here right away

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Lindberg looked pretty good tonight given the level of the competition and tempo of the game. His growth over the past year has been pretty remarkable.

This is A and O when it comes to Lindberg, his curve is pointing straight upwards and with kids like that there is always reasons to be excited. Almost no kid is really good enough when they are 20-21, everyone must keep developing. And years 18-24 is definitely as important as years 16-18 if you get what I mean. There are many big stars in this league who built their game after they where drafted more or less. Johan Franzen played like in the 4th tier league in Sweden at the same age as Oscar Lindberg is now.

He needs to keep developing, but why expect a kid who is like developing by the day to suddenly stop developing today, 17 May 2013? And if he doesn't stop developing at this rate today, 17 May 2013, where will he be 17 May 2014? That's why its so hard to pin his potential.

I saw those streamed scrimmages in Rookie Camp that Lindberg played in. That player had no business on being on the ice shift after shift against Giroux, Stamkos and co. OL was good in those scrimmages, don't misunderstand me, but he is developed a ton since then. He has developed a ton since his first ELC's tournaments when he seemed to be in over his head. Heck, he has developed alot since G1 of these WCH's.

Stepan is an elite defensive centerman. According to defensive Goals vs. Threshold, he had the best rating amongst forwards. Ahead of Selke candidates Datsyuk, Bergeron and Toews. If OL is that good defensively already, then what are we waiting for? He can nicely slot up in Beaver's spot.

Ok I take it back! ;)

Stepan aside, Lindberg is not an elite defensive player by NHL standards (yet atleast) since he definitely can't match the 215+ lbs power forwards in the NHL physically. He needs to grow physically and gain more experience before he is elite. But I do believe he would be a solid defensive center right away.

As for Lindberg, I did like his defensive game tonight, minus the miscue on the game tying goal. On that play, he was outmuscled on the boards and lost the puck. Overall, he did have some bursts of speed and some nice takeaways, but nothing to write home about performance wise. It is very hard to stand out in a game involving multiple all-star players.

He is a stubborn grinder, but he got a touch of Nik Sunström in him too. IE, the type who when like the goalie is out of position and someone pass the puck to a player with a open net, just manage to get his stick in the way in the last split second to prevent a goal. Or like read a pass and pick pocket someone and stuff like that.

The shotblocking in the NHL has developed tremendously since clutching and grabbing where banned. This is a good yardstick, players in the NHL can block shots. Europe has definitely fallen behind here. Players from Europe have no clue how it should be done. I have no reason to not believe that OL will become an excellent shotblocker, but he needs to be learned how its done. And we got some players in NY who are excellent at it and its not rocket science (while its certainly more ability to it than what people might believe at first glance). He won't be Jed Ortmayer II from day 1.

Can't they put him as the 3rd line center (they did it with Miller) and amnesty Richards for next year? Seems like there's no reason to demote Brassard.

Agreed, my point was more this, we got a log jam as is and he gotta beat out people to play.

Between "Powe" and "Pyatt", I just have a really hard time seing him beating out Boyle in Camp by such margin that Torts takes Boyle out of the lineup in favor of a unproven rookie.

In competition with Boyle, Miller, Richards, Pyatt, Asham, Powe, Zucc, Hagelin and co, I believe Lindberg would come to his absolute best on the line I mentioned or somewhat of a line like that. IE a defensivly responsible center role on a line that still will move the puck around.

It is planned that Lindberg is going to Las Vegas on a "gold-trip" with his team on Tuesday. (skelleftea aik) immediately after the World Championships.

But if he gets to go there I do not know.
it's probably up to Rangers, if they want him here right away

I love humble players. But I also loved Lindberg's interview after the game. The Globe Arena where really rocking and there was a crazy atmosphere. The interviewer where forced to scream to be heard and she "yelled" to Lindberg something like "You where the MVP of the PO's, you won the "SM-gold", set a personal record in scoring, you have established yourself on the national team and played a big part tonight in this miricle against Canada -- could you imagine this when the season started???" and Lindberg looked a little bothered and added 100% serious "the season is not over yet more could come".

Between guys like Callahan and JT Miller and Lindberg, we are going to have some stubborn and ambious players on this team for years to come.

Last edited:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Assuming Brad doesn't get bought out, 3 of our centers would be him, Step and Brass. I am very confident that either Lindberg or Miller would be able to handle 4th line duty.

Boyle has done a good job in the playoffs, but he may be the most available of our decent players. If we could get a high quality third line winger for Boyle+Pyatt, I'd be real happy.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Lindberg, defensively was pretty much ready for the NHL last year. He has been in a defensive role for years in the SEL and has honed his craft. If I had to compare his STYLE of play, it would be Patrice Bergeron or Ryan O'Reilly like. Very good positioning. Strong on his skates for his size. Good on face-offs. Has tons of take-aways and makes a ton of little plays all over the ice.

Defense and faceoffs will not be a problem for OL. I am hoping his offense transitions to the smaller ice surface (I think it will) as he has 40-50 point upside to him which would be HUGE for a player who can be a top PKer, take important faceoffs and be a very good defensive center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad