Prospect Info: 2012-2013 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 7/3) *Part IV*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Clarke discuss prospects

http://blueshirtsunited.com/videos/3643/clark-discusses-prospects-part-1

Clarke is asked about Fasth and Lindberg, gets hung up on Fasth. Its easy to understand him.

Up until Fasth broke his leg, he was like that well hidden secret that we had that was gonna come in and blow everyone away. Then he recovered really fast, came back month's before anyone expected him to come back, played like 23 minutes a night in the SEL PO's and was the top forward for his team while clearly not being 100% from the broken leg he suffered just 4 month before.

This season, he had one hill to climb after the other. Shoulder injury. He had flue problems for several months. A knee that he sprained one time after the other. He still played really well overall. No doubt, but he missed maybe that last "5%" of his game. His legs wasn't quite there, seemed to run out of a gas a little at times etc.

How good will he be in October? He got a long rest now. The knee sprain shouldn't be a problem anymore, you just need to build up the mucles around the knee again.

He isn't Parise II or something like that, but -- and I hate to hype prospects -- he could become a Callahan II.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
There is a risk for apples and organges-talk when it comes to skating.

This is my perspective; you got a prospect who is really small, he is supposed to be a scoring forward, he isn't a wiz with the puck and he can't playmake; but he is a awsome sniper and got a great nose for the net. Question: What level should his skating be at to be a top 2 line winger in the NHL? Be able to score 30 in his best years?

From that perspective, Thomas skating is averge at best. He is not on par with the level it would take him to put him in that role in the NHL everything else considered.

Sure, if we are comparing him with Ethan Werek or Andrew Yogan or Pyatt and co, he is a good skater. Like I said, I like Thomas. His hustle and play away from the puck is great. His nose for the net is great. His shot is really good. On the other hand, the competition in the NHL is really tough. Coming out of the OHL, people expected him to score 40+40 in the NHL. People compared him with everyone from MSL to Parise. That talk wasn't in touch with reality. He has no ability that puts him on that level. His shot isn't world class, its good plain and simple. His nose for the net is up there, but that alone isn't enough. He is really small. His skating is not world class, that Russian midget we got in kids camp skates eights around Thomas.

Thomas is right up there with Dawes, Prucha and co. These guys can make it, just because those two didn't, it doesn't mean Thomas won't. But he got a challenge infront of him.

Thomas' shot may be the best in the organization. It's that good. He is not shy about going in after pucks and he is getting stronger on his skates as he develops.

Mike Cammalleri 2.0. I said it in his draft year. That is what his ceiling is like.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Thomas' shot may be the best in the organization. It's that good. He is not shy about going in after pucks and he is getting stronger on his skates as he develops.

Mike Cammalleri 2.0. I said it in his draft year. That is what his ceiling is like.

It doesn't make sense I guess to carve out the "shot" too much, but his timing, balance and instincts are great. That enables him to put alot of good shots on net.

Thomas shot in itself isn't world class from what I've seen. You can't plug him on the blueline and design a play to just get him open and let him live on his shot.

He scores most of his goals by getting of his shot before the goalie "finds him" so to speak. I saw him shoot quite alot in Juniors, I watched around a handful of games with him, he was the goto player on his team and they tried to utilize his shot as much as possible, and it was good but definitely not world class. AO. A younger Kariya (I recon many only remembers the shell). Stamkos. The heavy shooting D's from the blueline. And so forth. They got a world class shot.

Last edited:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
It doesn't make sense I guess to carve out the "shot" too much, but his timing, balance and instincts are great. That enables him to put alot of good shots on net.

Thomas shot in itself isn't world class from what I've seen. You can't plug him on the blueline and design a play to just get him open and let him live on his shot.

He scores most of his goals by getting of his shot before the goalie "finds him" so to speak. I saw him shoot quite alot in Juniors, I watched around a handful of games with him, he was the goto player on his team and they tried to utilize his shot as much as possible, and it was good but definitely not world class. AO. A younger Kariya (I recon many only remembers the shell). Stamkos. And so forth.

He has a rocket. He can easily set up at the point and just rip shots. He has something this team sorely lacks, a shooters mentality.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

You, sir, are wrong. When he blasts the puck from the blue line on the PP, it looks like someone just fired a bullet.

Colby

Mar 2, 2011
New York Rangers
Player Pos Drafted HP Rank
Adam Tambellini C 65 104
Pavel Buchnevich LW 75 17
Anthony Duclair LW 80 37
Ryan Graves D 110 -
MacKenzie Shapski G 170 -

First round: No pick

Rest of the picks: Tambellini has a decent body with good speed and quality offensive ability. He is a number of years away, though. Buchnevich was a really interesting pick who I rated very highly. I love his offensive potential. He has high-end puck skills to go along with very good hockey sense, speed, and shooting ability. His physical game isn't all the best, but his upside is really desirable. Duclair is a high-speed, high-skill guy as well, but his hockey sense and physicality lack somewhat.

Summary: Even without many selections in this draft, the Rangers were able to acquire a fair amount of talent and numerous picks with significant potential. This class could produce zero NHLers given the nature of some of these prospects, but if they get a player like Buchnevich or Duclair to hit, they could really have something.

http://www.puckprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1550

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Not a nyr prospect anymore but

@pdxwinterhawks: Busy day for the Hawks today, as we acquired Shane McColgan from Saskatoon for a pair of draft picks, and selected... http://t.co/mp3UHuuos5

Kershaw

Not a nyr prospect anymore but

@pdxwinterhawks: Busy day for the Hawks today, as we acquired Shane McColgan from Saskatoon for a pair of draft picks, and selected... http://t.co/mp3UHuuos5

Wow, he's still junior eligible?

He's gonna put a lot of points on that always stacked winterhawks team. Possibly plays with Petan.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Wow, he's still junior eligible?

He's gonna put a lot of points on that always stacked winterhawks team. Possibly plays with Petan.

He's an overager. Those usually put up a ton of points, get everyone's hopes up, then go straight to the ECHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad