Prospect Info: 2012-2013 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 7/3) *Part IV*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2012
NY
His position is winger. He has played a ton on both sides in his career.

Again, do you have actual numbers to back that up? Second, if so is that causation or is that correlation? Torts played him on the right side this year so that's where he scored goals. Given the amount of time he has spent on the left side in his career, I don't see any reason why he also couldn't perform there if needed.

Just because Torts didn't use him there last season doesn't mean it's not an option. I don't understand why Miller is being talked about as a right wing though when they've been bringing him along as a center. Fast can also play either side.
If you don't believe me, go to Nash's highlight reel and tell me how many goals were scored on the right:

http://video.rangers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlp=8470041&lang=en

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Gaborik? Granted, he didn't play like our best scorer this year, but still

One guy was traded (Gaborik). One guy was fired (Tortorella).

Although, in Tortorella's defense... Gaborik looked like a shell this year. It was tough to give him playing time ahead of Nash or Callahan, and there was a deficiency at LW.

Nash is in his prime. You want to put your best players in a position to succeed. I just don't see much of a likelihood that he gets moved to accommodate the likes of Christian Thomas or Jesper Fast any time in the near future..

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
At TSN, Scott Cullen ranks the Rangers top ten prospects.

1. JT Miller
  2. Jesper Fast
  3. Michael St. Croix
  4. Dylan McIlrath
  5. Christian Thomas
  6. Brady Skjei
  7. Marek Hrivik
  8. Oscar Lindberg
  9. Boo Nieves
  10. Conor Allen

I am pleasantly surprised how high MSC is.
Fast ahead of Lindberg and McI? I am not sure about this.

Edit: His rundown
A two-way player who spent more than half of the NHL season in New York (four points, minus-7 in 26 games), J.T. Miller is able to create some offence, but his initial mark will be made with strong work in the corners and along the boards.

A speedy winger who came into his own in the Swedish Elite League, Jesper Fast, a sixth-round pick in 2010, should get some apprenticeship in the AHL, but if he can handle the adjustment to North America, could move up quickly.

Drafted in the fourth round in 2011, Michael St. Croix has 197 points in 144 WHL games over the last two seasons. He'll have time in the AHL to prove that his offence is legit at the pro level, but the playmaker could turn out to be a nice addition because of his offensive upside.

A big, bad dude, Dylan McIlrath is more than just a puncher, as one might expect from the 10th pick in the 2010 draft, and McIlrath can play a physical role. He may be able to challenge for an NHL job soon.

Size will be a challenge for Christian Thomas to overcome, but the 2010 second-round pick had a solid first pro campaign, tallying 19 goals. If he progresses next season, that could put him in line for a future spot.

Drafted 28th overall last summer, Brady Skjei is a superb skater who doesn't offer much, if anything, offensively, but will have some time to round out his game at the University of Minnesota.

An undrafted free agent, Marek Hrivik had a decent first pro season, though he missed significant time with a concussion. With another full year of seasoning in the AHL, he could be closer to challenging for a position with the Rangers.

Acquired from the Phoenix Coyotes, Oscar Lindberg had a very productive season in the Swedish Elite League. He's 21-years-old, which would seem a good time to come to North America to see how his game translates.

A lanky forward with scoring potential, Cristoval Nieves needs time to round out his game and he'll get that at the University of Michigan.

Signed after his junior year at Massachusetts, Conor Allen is expected to provide steady two-way play on the blueline and an important addition given how thin the organizational depth is on defence.

Last edited:

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City

1. JT Miller
  2. Jesper Fast
  3. Michael St. Croix
  4. Dylan McIlrath
  5. Christian Thomas
  6. Brady Skjei
  7. Marek Hrivik
  8. Oscar Lindberg
  9. Boo Nieves
  10. Conor Allen

And no first or second rounder this year :cry:

Punxrocknyc19*

1. JT Miller
  2. Jesper Fast
  3. Michael St. Croix
  4. Dylan McIlrath
  5. Christian Thomas
  6. Brady Skjei
  7. Marek Hrivik
  8. Oscar Lindberg
  9. Boo Nieves
  10. Conor Allen

Allen is 23 years old out of college.. how is he a top 10 Rangers prospect? this list is a joke..

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Lindberg MVP in his SEL championship, that's exiting! kid may surprise in camp. Maybe cheaper option at 3rd line , slide Boyle down or to the wing?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Nash scored like all but one of his goals on the right side. Why is he moving to the left? It's obvious he likes the right side better.

I looked at every goal Nash scored thsi year and the above statement is not accurate. Not on any level.

Nash scored about 40% of his goals this past season coming in off the LW

He scored 2 goals from directly in front of the net

and the remaining 50% coming in off the RW.

Now, that's not to say that he lined up as a LW/C/RW but I am pointing out where he came from when scoring his goals.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think that McColgan was the reason McColgan wasn't signed. He never developed. Lack of progression = no contract. If anything, McColgan's poor development earned Kantor a deal.

Punxrocknyc19*

I think that McColgan was the reason McColgan wasn't signed. He never developed. Lack of progression = no contract. If anything, McColgan's poor development earned Kantor a deal.

how does some of the Rangers fans feel about those UFA prospects that NYR signed like Allen, Kantor and Hughes??

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
While all players want to make a big splash offensively, Skjei said his first season was more of a focus on playing sound defense.

“Play defense and the offense will come†was the advice Skjei said he was given from the coaching staff at Minnesota. “The offense will for sure come next year. They wanted me to focus on defense and I think I did a good job.â€

http://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/3624/prospect-profile-brady-skjei#.UcnxMhbvy8o

That would be nice. Don Lucia said Skjei and Mike Reilly will be main cogs on D for Minnesota. They lost 3 upperclassmen(one to graduation and two went pro).Tommy Vanelli will be a freshman in the fall. He will be late 1st round pick/early 2nd in the draft on Sunday. Lucia is also coaching the US WJC team in December.

TankLarkin

Will Cuylle is Ready.
Mar 3, 2012
Rochester, NY
Dylan McIlrath Progress 2012-13

Any chance he makes the team next year? What's the word on his progress as a potential NHL blueliner?

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
Ideally, no. Best case scenario is that he follows McD's path - plays half the year in the AHL and forces a move up by playing well. He's probably better off playing the whole year there IMO.

Don't think it's a question at this point that he's NHL quality (pretty sure he could have easily filled the role of a 6/7th fighter in the mold of Eric Cairns at the end of this year/playoffs), but due to injuries, the book is still pretty much out on whether he can be an impactful top 4 defensemen or not.

If he tops out a bit more, he's probably Ottawa-era Volchenkov with a LOT more fighting/brashness, which I'd take.

By all accounts he's improved drastically since being drafted, but compared to other guys drafted around him, his level was a bit lower.

Dalagaze

Rangers in 7
Apr 6, 2012
NY
If he had played a full season in the AHL this past year, his chances of making the big club in September would be higher, IMO. I still think he needs some more time in the A to work on his game. It wouldn't surprise me if he's a mid-season call-up.

GrindNMuck

Jun 11, 2013
Not a chance yet, he needs to play in the AHL for another year or atleast half of the year. He will be a big shut down D. He needs to focus on his game, and less on dropping the gloves.

SupersonicMonkey*

These lists always fluctuate.

1 Lindberg
2 Fast
3 McIlrath
4 Nieves
5 Skjei
6 St. Croix
7 Thomas
8 Hrivik
9 Talbot
10 Nicholls

Brady Skjei

Aug 12, 2010
How did Steve Fogarty do this year? Looking at stats, 10 points in 41 games is underwhelming but he was a freshman on a deep, talented ND team. What does he do well and what does he need to improve? Obviously he most likely won't be considered to be signed/go pro for another 2-3 years but I'm curious as to where he stands in this stage of his development. After all, HF does have him ranked as our #1 center prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad