GDT: 2012-13 Training Camp – Sun Jan 13 - Fri Jan 18

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I think its almost a forgone conclusion he is staying. Will be confirmed at 3 or 5pm tomorrow when teams submit their 23 man roster.

I won't be relieved until it is official that he made the initial 23 man roster. I have never been this excited for a Sabre ever. If he plays he will be the first 18 year old to suit up for the Sabres since Martin Biron iirc.

An 18 year old 6'3 center with immense potential is the main thing I'm looking forward to this season.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I see what you did there ;)

staying as in, 5 game try-out? Or full-season ...

5 games to start. They'll wait until the last possible moment to determine whether to keep him for the full season, but if camp reports are to be believed, I'd put my money on him not going back to the Q.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I was way more excited for other players to play for the blue n gold. Mainly vets because I already knew what they bring vs. other NHLers. Grigerenko, although intriguing is a big fat unknown vs. NHLers. When he gets through his first 5-10 games it will become pretty clear how effective he will BECOME. But I can see it now, the ones that are hyping him up beyond reality in their own minds will be the first to slam him and rag on him. Even though he's a rookie that may need a couple years to find his way.

High expectations breeds high disappointment.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
I think its almost a forgone conclusion he is staying. Will be confirmed at 3 or 5pm tomorrow when teams submit their 23 man roster.

Yeah, I heard something about a 3pm deadline to submit rosters that's sort of what I was wondering. Cool thanks.

Can't wait till Sunday. :yo:

Fire Lindy

Trust the System
Jan 3, 2011
I'd be surprised too, Ruff has been careful to not show his hand, but Ott gave his opinion and said he believes Grigorenko is ready for the NHL right now.

copter

Apr 3, 2007
Sorry that happened to you. The Sabres did mention that todays practice was canceled early Wednesday afternoon via twitter, WGR 550 AM mentioned it in their updates and Woodhouse also posted the news here. Still the Sabres should have had sent out a practice cancelation email to people on both the season ticket holder and Sabres Insider mailing lists as well as post an update on their website.

Hmm, I was on here Wed afternoon and didn't see any posts on it, but I'm sure I just missed it. As for the other media sources, I can't get WGR at home (except over the net) and rarely use twitter for anything. I guess I just didn't go digging enough to see if something that was planned had been cancelled. Didn't know there was any reason to do so.

Is today's practice still on? How about Sunday's game ;)

flyingpig

Pay the Troll Toll
May 26, 2006
Pay the troll toll
I was way more excited for other players to play for the blue n gold. Mainly vets because I already knew what they bring vs. other NHLers. Grigerenko, although intriguing is a big fat unknown vs. NHLers. When he gets through his first 5-10 games it will become pretty clear how effective he will BECOME. But I can see it now, the ones that are hyping him up beyond reality in their own minds will be the first to slam him and rag on him. Even though he's a rookie that may need a couple years to find his way.

High expectations breeds high disappointment.

Its an interesting situation as he is a "franchise guy" draft pick, but one who was taken where the Sabres always pick, and franchise guys are not usually found. I see the reason for the excitement, as he has high potential, was sort of a steal, is a new toy and a feww other 18 year olds have been making their way as of late. He has added to the excitement because he cannot go to Rochester, had another great year in Juniors and the tournament, making the anticipation even a bit higher. If this were a regular year and he could go to Rochester, I do not doubt that is where he would go and the anticipation would not be the same at all.

Excitement and expectations are two different things and my expectations are not too high even if he makes the big club. I do think he can add something without being a dominant player as it does create three scoring lines and he can cut his teeth a bit on the powerplay.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Its an interesting situation as he is a "franchise guy" draft pick, but one who was taken where the Sabres always pick, and franchise guys are not usually found. I see the reason for the excitement, as he has high potential, was sort of a steal, is a new toy and a feww other 18 year olds have been making their way as of late. He has added to the excitement because he cannot go to Rochester, had another great year in Juniors and the tournament, making the anticipation even a bit higher. If this were a regular year and he could go to Rochester, I do not doubt that is where he would go and the anticipation would not be the same at all.

Excitement and expectations are two different things and my expectations are not too high even if he makes the big club. I do think he can add something without being a dominant player as it does create three scoring lines and he can cut his teeth a bit on the powerplay.

We could end up striking gold twice at 12th overall with Grigs and Myers. If both of them pan out, we'll have something great to build around (6'8" franchise D and 6'3" legitimate #1C? Yes please.)

Very excited to see what Grigorenko does this year with Buffalo if he gets a shot.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
Same here. It's the only thing that's keeping me from thinking I'm watching the same boring ass team from last year.

I don't get this. We have Cody full season. We have OTT and SCOTT and Grigo. We don't have ROY or Goose.
If you can't garner some emotion from that turn in your fan card!

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Yeah, I heard something about a 3pm deadline to submit rosters that's sort of what I was wondering. Cool thanks.

Can't wait till Sunday. :yo:
I believe the deadline is actually 5PM EST to accommodate teams that still had scheduled activities at 3.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I don't get this. We have Cody full season. We have OTT and SCOTT and Grigo. We don't have ROY or Goose.

I don't either.

-We have a revamped top 6 with two new centers (Ennis/Hodgson) who are young and its should be quite exciting to see what they have. Plus a young, big physical winger with a lot of grit (Foligno) was also added to the top 6.

-We have a lot of sandpaper we can dress if we chose to do so with Kaleta, Ott, Scott and McCormick to go with Foligno up front. Ott and Kaleta in the lineup together in and of itself will likely provide a lot of entertainment :laugh:

- After acquiring Sulzer we found very good chemistry in our top 6 at the end of the year. It led to some very good play from that group. It will be exciting to see if they can recapture that level of play this year.

Thats a nice amount of new or relatively new things to be excited about coming into the season. Grigs making the team would be the icing on the cake.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
Same here. It's the only thing that's keeping me from thinking I'm watching the same boring ass team from last year.

I don't either.

-We have a revamped top 6 with two new centers (Ennis/Hodgson) who are young and its should be quite exciting to see what they have. Plus a young, big physical winger with a lot of grit (Foligno) was also added to the top 6.

-We have a lot of sandpaper we can dress if we chose to do so with Kaleta, Ott, Scott and McCormick to go with Foligno up front. Ott and Kaleta in the lineup together in and of itself will likely provide a lot of entertainment :laugh:

- After acquiring Sulzer we found very good chemistry in our top 6 at the end of the year. It led to some very good play from that group. It will be exciting to see if they can recapture that level of play this year.

Thats a nice amount of new or relatively new things to be excited about coming into the season. Grigs making the team would be the icing on the cake.

Even more fun! I forgot to mention Foligno for the full season. I believe we may see 70's style hockey this year for better or worse. Fighting will be a big part of hockey this year. All that and I forgot another reason to be stoked about all of this.

Jochen Hecht is back! :D

This is going to be fun this year guaranteed no boring ass same as last year team.

AmerksPuck

Nov 3, 2012
I'd be surprised too, Ruff has been careful to not show his hand, but Ott gave his opinion and said he believes Grigorenko is ready for the NHL right now.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
I think there are three underagers "likely" up all season, four if you count EDM's RNH. Hamilton (BOS), Yakupov (EDM), Huberdeau (FLA).

I was surprised to see this...he doesn't seem to think Grigorenko will stay up all year....

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
I think there are three underagers "likely" up all season, four if you count EDM's RNH. Hamilton (BOS), Yakupov (EDM), Huberdeau (FLA).

I was surprised to see this...he doesn't seem to think Grigorenko will stay up all year....

He's just saying Grigs isn't getting a permanent spot out of camp.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Those expected on roster on "trial" include: Rakell (ANA), Grigorenko (ANA), Dumba (MIN), Galchenyuk (MTL), Laughton (PHI), Scheifele (WPG).

Keep in mind that Mack is just reporting what he's hearing from those organizations and the people around them. He isn't making a judgment call.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
With a defensive conscience in Leino, and bodyguard in Ott, and likely facing 2nd/3rd pairing D, the Sabres are really putting Grigo in a position to succeed, which I like.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
He's just saying Grigs isn't getting a permanent spot out of camp.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Those expected on roster on "trial" include: Rakell (ANA), Grigorenko (ANA), Dumba (MIN), Galchenyuk (MTL), Laughton (PHI), Scheifele (WPG).

Keep in mind that Mack is just reporting what he's hearing from those organizations and the people around them. He isn't making a judgment call.

We traded Grigs to the Ducks??!?!?!??! :sarcasm:

That makes sense though that the Sabres (and those other teams) would use the 5 games before any decision. It's not a slam dunk that Grigs should stay up, and especially with no preseason they're gonna need to see him in game situations agaisnt NHL competition to really get a good feel for whether he is truly ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad