Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
gdt-camp-top-1.png
gdt-camp-top-2.png

gdt-camp-top-3.png
gdt-camp-top-4.png

GDT: BUFFALO SABRES 2012-13 TRAINING CAMP – FIRST NIAGARA CENTER – SABRES.COM

Training Camp Schedule

01.13 – Closed; 7:15AM physicals, on-ice testing and 10:30AM practice.

01.14 – Open; 5:30PM practice and scrimmage; lineups.

01.15 – Open; 10:30AM practice.

01.16 – Open; 10:30AM practice.

01.17 – No practice scheduled.

01.18 – Open; 10:30AM practice.

(01.19 – Open; 10:30AM practice; ~45 minutes in length.)

header-350x60-team-news-left.png
header-350x60-default-right.png

BUFFALO SABRES

Camp Roster

Forwards (15): 8 Cody McCormick, 9 Steve Ott, 19 Cody Hodgson, 21 Drew Stafford ("A"), 23 Ville Leino,
25 Mikhail Grigorenko, 26 Thomas Vanek ("A"), 29 Jason Pominville ("C"), 32 John Scott, 36 Patrick Kaleta,
37 Matt Ellis, 42 Nathan Gerbe, 55 Jochen Hecht, 63 Tyler Ennis, 82 Marcus Foligno.

Defense (9): 3 Jordan Leopold, 6 Mike Weber, 10 Christian Ehrhoff, 24 Robyn Regehr, 27 Adam Pardy, 33 TJ Brennan,
44 Andrej Sekera, 52 Alexander Sulzer, 57 Tyler Myers.

Goalies (2): 1 Jhonas Enroth, 30 Ryan Miller.

Lineup News & Notes (News)

Corey Tropp (knee) is unavailable after suffering a season-ending injury in the AHL opener. Nathan Gerbe (back) and
Cody McCormick (finger) both carry injuries into training camp; while Christian Ehrhoff (head), Tyler Ennis (shoulder),
Cody Hodgson (hand), Tyler Myers (ankle), Andrej Sekera (hand) and Alexander Sulzer (groin) all missed some time
during the lockout, but are now healthy.

Weekly Transactions

Buffalo officially signed Jochen Hecht to a 1-year deal on Sunday. TJ Brennan, Marcus Foligno and Cody Hodgson were
each invited to training camp from AHL/Rochester, while Mikhail Grigorenko is the only junior hockey invite at camp.
The NYI claimed Joe Finley off waivers on Monday, while David Leggio and Drew Schiestel both cleared.

header-350x60-url-roundup-left.png
Pre-Camp News

01.07 – It's time to get back to work (Kevin Snow – Sabres.com)

01.08 – "We're back in business" (Kevin Snow – Sabres.com)

01.09 – Ruff talks line combos and goalie plans (Kevin Snow – Sabres.com)

01.10 – Myers alleviates injury concerns (Kevin Snow – Sabres.com)

01.11 – Sabres training camp open to public (Press Release – Sabres.com)

01.11 – Miller's return draws a crowd (Kevin Snow – Sabres.com)

01.11 – Hecht is set to be heading home (John Vogl – The Buffalo News)

01.12 – Buffalo Sabres announce 2012-13 regular season schedule (Press Release – Sabres.com)

Sun Jan 13 – Closed; Physicals, On-Ice Testing, Practice

01.13 – Roster battles promise to make Sabres camp interesting (Bill Hoppe – Olean Times Herald)

01.13 – The wait is finally over for Ott, Sabres teammates (John Vogl – The Buffalo News)

01.13 – Hecht agrees to terms on one-year deal (Press Release – Sabres.com)

01.13 – All eyes on Sabres prospect Grigorenko as training camp begins (Bill Hoppe – Olean Times Herald)

01.13 – Hecht happy to be back with Blue and Gold (Mike Harrington – The Buffalo News)

Mon Jan 14 – Open; Practice, Scrimmage

01.14 – Sabres’ Hecht thrilled about return: ‘Everything worked out’ (Bill Hoppe – Olean Times Herald)

01.14 – Sabres waste little time getting started (John Vogl – The Buffalo News)

01.14 – Sabres notebook: Gerbe practices but isn’t cleared for contact (John Vogl – The Buffalo News)

01.14 – A warm welcome back to the ice (Dale Anderson – The Buffalo News)

01.14 – Sabres must deal with crowded blue line (John Vogl – The Buffalo News)

Tue Jan 15 – Open; Practice

01.15 – Sabres disappointed to lose Finley on waivers (Bill Hoppe – Olean Times Herald)

01.15 – Sabres newcomer Pardy poised to earn spot on stacked blue line (Bill Hoppe – Olean Times Herald)

01.15 – Leino likes his new linemate (Kevin Snow – Sabres.com)

01.15 – Sabres’ Ruff waiting to determine Grigorenko’s roster status (Bill Hoppe – Olean Times Herald)

Wed Jan 16 – Open; Practice

01.16 – New Sabres tough guy Scott ready to protect teammates: ‘I’ll take care of it’ (Bill Hoppe – Olean Times Herald)

01.16 – Foligno tries to resume good play (Mike Harrington – The Buffalo News)

01.16 – Injured Sabres progressing well (Bill Hoppe – Olean Times Herald)

01.16 – Sabres’ evaluation of Grigorenko trickier without preseason games (Bill Hoppe – Olean Times Herald)

01.16 – Grigorenko seeks more permanent role with Sabres (John Wawrow – AP)

01.16 – Lets get physical (Kevin Snow – Sabres.com)

Thu Jan 17 – No Practice

01.17 – Sabres’ Sulzer hoping to parlay late-season play into regular duty (Bill Hoppe – Olean Times Herald)

01.17 – Sabres’ Enroth will get chance to flash skills (John Vogl – The Buffalo News)

Fri Jan 18 – Open; Practice

01.18 – Scott ready to get tough for Sabres (Jay Skurski – The Buffalo News)

header-350x60-multimedia-left.png

A/V CLUB

Sun Jan 13 – Closed; Physicals, On-Ice Testing, Practice

01.13 – Lindy Ruff speaks with the media following the first day of training camp. <8:11>

01.13 – Jochen Hecht speaks with the media following the first day of training camp. <4:08>

01.13 – Cody Hodgson speaks with the media following the first day of training camp. <1:27>

01.13 – Mikhail Grigorenko speaks with the media following the first day of training camp. <6:32>

01.13 – Tyler Myers speaks with Kathryn Tappen on NHL Tonight. <2:03>

01.13 – Bob McKenzie previews the Buffalo Sabres on NHL Tonight. <2:04>

Mon Jan 14 – Open; Practice, Scrimmage

01.14 – Tyler Myers speaks with Brian Duff prior to the Blue & White Scrimmage. <0:49>

01.14 – First period highlights from the Blue & White Scrimmage. <0:48>

01.14 – Steve Ott speaks with Brian Duff during the first intermission of the Blue & White Scrimmage. <1:14>

01.14 – Second period highlights from the Blue & White Scrimmage. <0:51>

01.14 – Cody Hodgson speaks with Brian Duff during the second intermission of the Blue & White Scrimmage. <0:54>

01.14 – Third period, overtime and shootout highlights from the Blue & White Scrimmage. <2:06>

01.14 – Lindy Ruff speaks with the media following the Blue & White Scrimmage. <5:40>

01.14 – Darcy Regier speaks with the media following the Blue & White Scrimmage. <7:55>

Tue Jan 15 – Open; Practice

01.15 – Lindy Ruff speaks with the Howard Simon Show on WGR. <17:11>

01.15 – Alexander Sulzer speaks with the Hockey Hotline show on WGR. <6:31>

01.15 – Lindy Ruff speaks with the media following the third day of training camp. <9:40>

01.15 – Ville Leino speaks with the media following the third day of training camp. <3:16>

01.15 – John Scott speaks with the media following the third day of training camp. <1:52>

01.15 – Steve Ott speaks with the media following the third day of training camp. <3:43>

01.15 – Cody Hodgson speaks with the media following the third day of training camp. <2:20>

01.15 – TJ Brennan speaks with the media following the third day of training camp. <3:01>

Wed Jan 16 – Open; Practice

01.16 – Mike Robitaille speaks with the Howard Simon Show on WGR. <16:12>

01.16 – Cody Hodgson speaks with the Howard Simon Show on WGR. <8:52>

01.16 – Lindy Ruff speaks with the media following the fourth day of training camp. <12:07>

01.16 – Steve Ott speaks with the Schopp & Bulldog show on WGR. <13:21>

01.16 – Jason Pominville speaks with the XM Home Ice show. <9:17>

Thu Jan 17 – No Practice

01.17 – Kevin Allen previews Buffalo on WGR's Howard Simon Show. <7:07>

Fri Jan 18 – Open; Practice

01.18 – Jason Pominville speaks with the Howard Simon Show on WGR. <10:03>

01.18 – Darcy Regier and Lindy Ruff speak with the media following the final day of training camp. <10:35>

01.18 – Mikhail Grigorenko speaks with the media following the final day of training camp. <2:57>

01.18 – Jordan Leopold speaks with the media following the final day of training camp. <2:01>

01.18 – Jason Pominville speaks with the media following the final day of training camp. <1:40>

GAMEDAY CHAT

IRC Server: irc.esper.net ... Channel: #sabres ... If you have questions: FYI - Sabres Chat

Last edited:

Rammstein816

Mar 16, 2009
Thanks for tying this all together. I was looking for a camp roster. I'm surprised that the Sabres aren't bringing in more players, considering what other teams are doing.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Thanks for tying this all together. I was looking for a camp roster. I'm surprised that the Sabres aren't bringing in more players, considering what other teams are doing.

Who'd they bring in though? If you mean guys from Rochester it's kinda pointless to take players from them when they're not going to make the team. None of the other juniors players are worthy of a look at this point. I like it -- lean group of players that can get all the staff's focus.

RattleYourSabre

Jan 12, 2013
Lines at today's skate: 26-19-29, 82-63-21, 23-25-9, 42-55-36, 32-37-8.

From a "new" NHL fan, thank you. These are the lines everyone pretty much figured we'd see, correct?

Vanek - Hogsdon - Pominville
Foligno - Ennis - Stafford
Leino - Grigorenko - Ott
Gerbe - Hecht - Kaleta
Scott - Ellis - McCormick

How do you feel about Brennan's chances to make the team? I've been to quite a few Amerk games this year (from Rochester) and I've been impressed with him more times than not (but again, I don't know the little stuff to look for). But there are times where he seems to disappear.

Also, do you think guys like Porter and Girgensons (depending on the severity of the injury he suffered versus Syracuse last night) have a chance of seeing time in Buffalo this year?

Rammstein816

Mar 16, 2009
Who'd they bring in though? If you mean guys from Rochester it's kinda pointless to take players from them when they're not going to make the team. None of the other juniors players are worthy of a look at this point. I like it -- lean group of players that can get all the staff's focus.

A lot of vet players, but I guess since Mancari and Tarnasky had 2 way contracts pre-lockout, they don't have to come back up to go through waivers like Brennan.

Bosswally

Aug 2, 2011
Chattanooga, TN
From a "new" NHL fan, thank you. These are the lines everyone pretty much figured we'd see, correct?

Leino - Grigorenko - Ott
Gerbe - Hecht - Kaleta

How do you feel about Brennan's chances to make the team? I've been to quite a few Amerk games this year (from Rochester) and I've been impressed with him more times than not (but again, I don't know the little stuff to look for). But there are times where he seems to disappear.

Also, do you think guys like Porter and Girgensons (depending on the severity of the injury he suffered versus Syracuse last night) have a chance of seeing time in Buffalo this year?

Normally Brennan would have a great chance to make the team but I think we just have too many NHL dmans, once injuries start happening Porter will probably be the first Oman called up, Girgensons not so much just because hes so young don't push it let his game mature one does not simply jump from ushl to the NHL

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY

Leino - Grigorenko - Ott
Gerbe - Hecht - Kaleta

Welcome! Nice user name :5:

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Normally Brennan would have a great chance to make the team but I think we just have too many NHL dmans, once injuries start happening Porter will probably be the first Oman called up, Girgensons not so much just because hes so young don't push it let his game mature one does not simply jump from ushl to the NHL

Brennan either makes the team or gets traded. No other option.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Leino - Grigorenko - Ott
Gerbe - Hecht - Kaleta

Don't expect to see Girgensons unless he really starts turning it on like Foligno did in his AHL rookie season last year. And that's a longshot, considering Girgensons is maybe 2 years younger than Foligno was, but who knows what happens once he continually gets more ice time.

Porter would surely be the first forward call-up. Brennan might make the team but it'll depend on how many extra forwards vs defensemen they carry. It's unfortunate that he has to clear waivers to go back to the AHL as some team would likely claim him. We'll see if Darcy makes any defensemen trades or sends down/waives/trades one of the spare forwards (like McCormick), as well as whether or not Grigorenko sticks. Right now there are 3 extra forwards and 3 extra defensemen.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Lines at today's skate: 26-19-29, 82-63-21, 23-25-9, 42-55-36, 32-37-8.

Pretty much as expected. If Hecht is really healthy, and Grigorenko is NHL-ready, that bottom 6 honestly isn't too shabby. Still not overwhelmingly gritty, but lines 2-4 each have one real grinder on them.
Can't wait to see if F-E-S can continue the magic and how Grigs does.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
So with this in mind we are looking at 1 forward cut and 2 dmen (with thew 9 in camp).

Depends on if Gerbe/McCormick start on IR (regular one)...they are in the practice lineup but to what degree they are able to play we haven't had any update.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad