2011 NHL Draft Top-150 [UPDATED - post #261]

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
I have a questin to you NA guys who see Q games.

Marc-André Fleury went #1 overall, his draft year stats:

51 GP, 3.36 GAA, .910 S%
Playoffs: 4 GP, 4.47 GAA, .904 S%

Also maniac-like WJC: 5 GP, 1.57 GAA, .928 S%

Christopher Gibson will go next summer, currently:

16 GP, 2.20 GAA, .928 S% in Chicoutimi Saguenéens which i guess is very bad team

I'm not saying Gibson should go #1 overall. I want to know what is the biggest difference between these two goalies. Why Fleury was #1 and Gibson could be out of TOP30. Was Fleury selected #1 only because amazing WJC?

at the moment Gibson is playing like top 10 talent. Yes Chicoutimi is a fairly bad team. Their defense totals aren't bad but they're mostly due to Gibson. As far as I'm concerned he's the best 17 year old goalie the QMJHL has had in some time. For all I care he's the best goalie coming from juniors since Carey Price. If Jack Campbell can go 11 at the draft, I don't see why Gibson wouldn't go as high. Especially in a weak class for goalies. Outside of him and Perhonen there's isn't a whole lot available at that position, so there should be good value in those 2 kids. Campbell had the big game thing going for him, but Gibson's performance since the beginning of the season is simply off the charts for a 17 year old. Also, that's just me, but I'll take great performance for a whole season than just for a few games at the WJC. Not that Campbell was bad during the regular season in the USHL. I just don't think he was as dominant as Gibson. At least for as long as Gibson keeps it up.

That said, we're still early in the year and things may go south for Gibson but as we're speaking he's really awesome.

As for Fleury, he was dominant at an earlier age. Because of the birthday thing, Fleury came in the league at basically 15 year old and in his 2nd season at 16 he was a dominant figure in the league. Coming to this season I didn't think Gibson would be this good. At 16 he was alright but not special yet. Like most people I thought there'd be a battle for the net in Chicoutimi between Gibson and Gusse but that battle is pretty one-sided. Then again, Gibson is only in his second season but a little older than Fleury was. Season for season, I think Gibson is having a better year than Fleury ever had in the QMJHL. However, outside coming from the same league, I think it's hard to compare those 2 both from the style they play and personal profiles.

and as bad as Chicoutimi is, I think it's nothing compared to Cape-Breton in that 02-03 season

Last edited:

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
Thank you Mathletic

Joel Armia

Basically... strengths and flaws, projected draft position range, NHL comparisons, and any other relevant info. Thanks.

Strengths: size 6'3, soft hands, good shot, natural goalscorer, hockey IQ
Weakness: skating
Draft position range: Lock for first day. TOP10 potential, could challenge RNH, Couturier and Landeskog.
NHL comparison: Maybe winger version of Jeff Carter

Other: Armia was pretty unknown player before 2010-11 season. Last season in U17 WHC he was best goal scorer. Finland sucked but Armia was selected to all-star team. After tournament he told that he was disapointed to tournament level. There was also RNH, Rattie, Puempel, Murphy and so on.

His developement have been amazing this year. Jump from juniors to men's league seems to be easy step for him. Last year he started in U18, mid season stepped to U20 and now in SM-liiga. Also his skating is a lot better than year ago.

s04

Oct 24, 2009
at the moment Gibson is playing like top 10 talent. Yes Chicoutimi is a fairly bad team. Their defense totals aren't bad but they're mostly due to Gibson. As far as I'm concerned he's the best 17 year old goalie the QMJHL has had in some time. For all I care he's the best goalie coming from juniors since Carey Price. If Jack Campbell can go 11 at the draft, I don't see why Gibson wouldn't go as high. Especially in a weak class for goalies. Outside of him and Perhonen there's isn't a whole lot available at that position, so there should be good value in those 2 kids. Campbell had the big game thing going for him, but Gibson's performance since the beginning of the season is simply off the charts for a 17 year old. Also, that's just me, but I'll take great performance for a whole season than just for a few games at the WJC. Not that Campbell was bad during the regular season in the USHL. I just don't think he was as dominant as Gibson. At least for as long as Gibson keeps it up.

That said, we're still early in the year and things may go south for Gibson but as we're speaking he's really awesome.

As for Fleury, he was dominant at an earlier age. Because of the birthday thing, Fleury came in the league at basically 15 year old and in his 2nd season at 16 he was a dominant figure in the league. Coming to this season I didn't think Gibson would be this good. At 16 he was alright but not special yet. Like most people I thought there'd be a battle for the net in Chicoutimi between Gibson and Gusse but that battle is pretty one-sided. Then again, Gibson is only in his second season but a little older than Fleury was. Season for season, I think Gibson is having a better year than Fleury ever had in the QMJHL. However, outside coming from the same league, I think it's hard to compare those 2 both from the style they play and personal profiles.

and as bad as Chicoutimi is, I think it's nothing compared to Cape-Breton in that 02-03 season

So as far as the Q is concerned, you're saying Gibson is better Poulin, Riopel, Allen etc? Most of Chicoutimi fans last year were ready to trade Gibson and keep R.Gusse....Yes he is good, but...

By the way, he is late, he played at 17 last year and 18 this year

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
So as far as the Q is concerned, you're saying Gibson is better Poulin, Riopel, Allen etc? Most of Chicoutimi fans last year were ready to trade Gibson and keep R.Gusse....Yes he is good, but...

By the way, he is late, he played at 17 last year and 18 this year

yeah well he's born so late in 92 and since he's only a sophomore, I consider him the same as a player born in early 93, so basically a 17 year old player.

at the same age he's playing better than Poulin, Riopel and Allen. Poulin came into his own at 18 and mostly 19. Allen is a bit different since he had played very little up to that age, same for Riopel. So, for as long as Gibson keeps it up, or plays similar, for the rest of the season, to me he becomes the best of that bunch for sure.

and I agree coming to this year he was pretty much at par with Gusse, but I'm sure people in Chicoutimi have changed their opinion.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
There is no talk of Konstantin Komarek being drafted at all? He was very good as an 18 year old in the WJC last season collecting 5 goals and an assist in 6 games. He has also played 2 games in Elitserien and is about point per game in SuperElit. I figured he would be a lock to go, but I haven't heard anything this season.

DapperDan

Bad Thoughts
May 26, 2008
place
Thank you Mathletic

Draft position range: Lock for first day. TOP10 potential, could challenge RNH, Couturier and Landeskog.

Other: Armia was pretty unknown player before 2010-11 season. Last season in U17 WHC he was best goal scorer. Finland sucked but Armia was selected to all-star team. After tournament he told that he was disapointed to tournament level. There was also RNH, Rattie, Puempel, Murphy and so on.

His developement have been amazing this year. Jump from juniors to men's league seems to be easy step for him. Last year he started in U18, mid season stepped to U20 and now in SM-liiga. Also his skating is a lot better than year ago.

Great analysis. Much appreciated

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Thank you Mathletic

Is his skating still a concern? according to ISS his skating is a strength rather than a weakness:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/12509/iss_top30_risers_and_fallers_november2010/

have you seen him play? And if so what did his skating look like live? I haven't had a chance to see any sm-liiga games thus far so :)

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
Is his skating still a concern? according to ISS his skating is a strength rather than a weakness:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/12509/iss_top30_risers_and_fallers_november2010/

have you seen him play? And if so what did his skating look like live? I haven't had a chance to see any sm-liiga games thus far so :)

:amazed:

Armia great skater? I can't believe what I'm reading.

Well... He is fast when he is full speed. But his first kick and acceleration is slow. It is opposite to "smooth skating"

This is first time ever I read that Armia is liste as good skater. Even the fans of Armia's team are saying he needs more skaitin training.

But yeah he is very good at protecting the puck and so. I guess ISS means that when saying Armia as good skater?

If his skating developement continues like this year he definitely will be good skater. But now he is not.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
:amazed:

Armia great skater? I can't believe what I'm reading.

Well... He is fast when he is full speed. But his first kick and acceleration is slow. It is opposite to "smooth skating"

This is first time ever I read that Armia is liste as good skater. Even the fans of Armia's team are saying he needs more skaitin training.

But yeah he is very good at protecting the puck and so. I guess ISS means that when saying Armia as good skater?

If his skating developement continues like this year he definitely will be good skater. But now he is not.

thanks ! Maybe ISS see that he has the potential to become a great skater, or that in comparison to the players his age his skating is very good.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Great list. Disappointing that the Czech Republic doesn't have any high-end forward prospects this draft.

They do, Dmitrij Jaskin should be their best in a few years at least since Voracek according to what I've heard.

Harks

Oct 27, 2010
Malmö
Armia looks like a younger Mikko Lehtonen. Big, skilled, descent skater. Is that a good comparison for those who's seen him?

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
yeah well he's born so late in 92 and since he's only a sophomore, I consider him the same as a player born in early 93, so basically a 17 year old player.

at the same age he's playing better than Poulin, Riopel and Allen. Poulin came into his own at 18 and mostly 19. Allen is a bit different since he had played very little up to that age, same for Riopel. So, for as long as Gibson keeps it up, or plays similar, for the rest of the season, to me he becomes the best of that bunch for sure.

and I agree coming to this year he was pretty much at par with Gusse, but I'm sure people in Chicoutimi have changed their opinion.

yeah, I follow Chicoutimi a lot also and for me, I was in the Gibson bandwagon for a while. In general, it was a par for who stays but I still dont why everybody was very hot on Gusse. Gibson is the total package but with his injury now, some scouts will stay in the dark. I also think that his a 1st round talent but we all know how this draft year is deep in talent and how far could drop the goalie in the recent year. That said, nobody expected Visentin in 1st round lat year and Gibson could finish his ride at a similar ranking. One thing is sure, he diserves it but maybe too much talent this year to be picked there. He could be the 1st goalie drafted, and could be picked just around 31-40th. Tough to said. This is not a weak at all

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Armia looks like a younger Mikko Lehtonen. Big, skilled, descent skater. Is that a good comparison for those who's seen him?

Hopefully he is a bit better than him, because at Joel's age, Mikko was still playing junior hockey. Mikko also only played two NHL games, so hopefully Armia can top that. That being said I can see the size comparison.

SuperAlmeida

Mar 18, 2010
I would be happy if Kings get Tomas Jurco. I think he would be a great pick, although I think he will go high.

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
There is no talk of Konstantin Komarek being drafted at all? He was very good as an 18 year old in the WJC last season collecting 5 goals and an assist in 6 games. He has also played 2 games in Elitserien and is about point per game in SuperElit. I figured he would be a lock to go, but I haven't heard anything this season.

Komarek just turned 18 recently and has played a few games for Lulea in Sweden this season. I think it's a guarantee that he'll get drafted, just probably not a 1st round pick.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Marek Hrbas was not on WHL top 25 central scounting list in November. Anybody has some report about him? I have no clue where he is currently projected to go. :help:

Armia

Oct 23, 2010
Hopefully he is a bit better than him, because at Joel's age, Mikko was still playing junior hockey. Mikko also only played two NHL games, so hopefully Armia can top that. That being said I can see the size comparison.
You just cant compare Lehtonen with Armia. I've seen lots of Armias games, and besides his size nothing reminds me about Mikko Lehtonen.

torontosports10

Mar 6, 2009
Made it to the Sea Dogs game, here is some analysis I got:

Jonathan Huberdeau: The most skilled player outside of S.C in the Q. Putting up great stats in his 17 year old season. Vision is unbelievable and will make a great playmaking forward for a team. I can really see him going top 10.

Stats:28GP, 20G, 24A, 44Pts, +35, 43PIM, 5 PPG, 2 SHG, 43% Faceoffs

Nathan Beaulieu: The improvement he has made from when he came in the league is mind boggling. Of course that happens, but I would have never thought he would turn into this kind of player. Good on both sides of the puck, good shot, likes to get into it a little bit, can rush it as well. If he keeps it up Id say top 20-25.

Stats: 28GP, 5G, 13A, 18Pts, +17, 27PIM, 2PPG

Tomas Jurco: Has been a bit down lately, not finding the net as much as he was, but he is getting the chances. His moves and effort is always there, and for a Euro he plays in you face hockey which is nice to see. Id say if one player has fallen a bit in stock it is him, but he could turn it around just seems snake bitten.

Stats: 28GP, 15G, 14A, 29Pts, +22, 8PIM, 4 PPG,

Zack Phillips: Ever since the Central Report came out and he was 11th in the Q he has played unreal. Really lit a fire under his ass and he has gone on a scoring binge. Won CHL player of the week for last week and in two games this week he has 8 points in 2 games. Plays on a line with Huberdeau and Jurco. What Ive liked lately is his defensive effort and the swagger he has. Gets in peoples faces and mixes it up. If he got some more size he could be a damn good power forward.

Stats: 28GP, 20G, 21A, 41Pts, +23, 8 PIM, 8PPG, 1SHG, 43% Faceoff %

Scott Oke and Ryan Tesink: Both first year players who have impressed. Playing on a stacked team but do what is asked of them and instead of going for the goals they focus on defensive hockey which is probably what has impressed the scouts. They could make a nice late round pick, and turn out to be stellar when they get more ice time.

Those are the players that I feel have a chance to go with the first four all going top 2 rounds. The great thing for the Sea Dogs is they will all be back for at least one year, and Huberdeau for two as he is only 17.

On a player who has already been drafted, Simon Despres is just unreal. Best D man in the Q imo. Great Size, Great mobility, Great defensive and offensive play. So smart and calm. Only thing that sticks out that he needs help with is his shot. Would like to see it harder since he is such a big kid.

If you have any questions or want info on any of their players just post, I check in here quite a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad