2011 NHL Draft Top-150 [UPDATED - post #261]

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I've only seen Bartschi play on the Swiss team, he is pretty impressive, but besides offense how are the other aspects of his game? Is it only explosive point production that has him ranked so high?

No, not at all. To be honest there are several draft eligible WHLers who I still think will be better offensive players down the line. RNH, St. Croix and Rattie are all more dynamic players.

Bartschi just does so many things well. He is fast, physical, gritty and also plays a complete game. He can handle himself as a two way hockey player and is responsible in his own zone.

A solid and complete player.

I hope my Avs get him. (If they don't get Siemens)

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
No, not at all. To be honest there are several draft eligible WHLers who I still think will be better offensive players down the line. RNH, St. Croix and Rattie are all more dynamic players.

Bartschi just does so many things well. He is fast, physical, gritty and also plays a complete game. He can handle himself as a two way hockey player and is responsible in his own zone.

A solid and complete player.

I hope my Avs get him. (If they don't get Siemens)

Interesting! thanks man, seems like the type of guy who deserves a spot in the top 10

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
MY WHL top 10

1. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
2. Duncan Siemans
3. Sven Bartschi
4. Michael St. Croix
5. Myles Bell
6. Ty Rattie
7. David Musil
8. Mark MacNeil
9. Reece Scarlett
10. Colin Jacobs

Honourable Mentions
Liam Liston
Adam Lowry
Joe Morrow
Tyler Wotherspoon
Travis Ewanyk

Ean11

Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver
I think Landeskog should be higher then 20. TSN and scouts in general have him ranked way higher.....Like Top 5 style.

And just looking on http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectbrowse.htm it has him ranked 1st overall.

Absolutely incredible work though.....Very impressive listing and staying up to date! I myself need to step more into the scouting and keeping track of guys. Thanks for the list!

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I think Landeskog should be higher then 20. TSN and scouts in general have him ranked way higher.....Like Top 5 style.

And just looking on http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectbrowse.htm it has him ranked 1st overall.

Absolutely incredible work though.....Very impressive listing and staying up to date! I myself need to step more into the scouting and keeping track of guys. Thanks for the list!

That list was posted last January....like 2010....

Sabes

Feb 27, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Ok list. Not the same as I see it, but I can respect your opinion I guess. A few things:

- Where is Bartschi?

- (Dietz, not Sietz)

- Morrow + Bell should DEFINITELY be ahead of Topping at this point IMO.

- McNeill is definitely ahead of a player like Lowry (who I love).

- I agree with St. Croix ahead of Rattie.

- I like Scarlett, and it's good to see him getting some credit, but him ahead of Myles Bell is too much.

- I think Jacobs should be higher.

Where is Harrison Ruopp? Kid is a bull

TheNextOneX

Apr 29, 2009
Lausanne
Gregory Hoffman + Inti Pestoni > Nino Niederreiter + Sven Bartschi

Those 2 play in NLA and it's very rare to see an 18 and 19 years old guy dominating men.

IMO those 2 are as good as the players who are going to be drafted in the first round! Whoever draft those 2 are going to have a steal...

SeattleShark

Jul 16, 2010
1. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
2. Duncan Siemans
3. Sven Bartschi
4. Michael St. Croix
5. Myles Bell
6. Ty Rattie
7. David Musil
8. Mark MacNeil
9. Reece Scarlett
10. Colin Jacobs

Honourable Mentions
Liam Liston
Adam Lowry
Joe Morrow
Tyler Wotherspoon
Travis Ewanyk

Jacobs is a very interesting prospect. he has done nothing but disapoint in seattle. his talent is obvious but he just cannot put it together. If he does though he could end up being the biggest steal in the draft, IF he matures. Honestly though, he is not even the best draft eligable player on his team, that would be Marcel Noebels. he deserves to be on this list for sure. he is one of the most underrated players in the draft.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Jacobs is a very interesting prospect. he has done nothing but disapoint in seattle. his talent is obvious but he just cannot put it together. If he does though he could end up being the biggest steal in the draft, IF he matures. Honestly though, he is not even the best draft eligable player on his team, that would be Marcel Noebels. he deserves to be on this list for sure. he is one of the most underrated players in the draft.

I am afraid that beeing labeled as soft and being passed over in the previous draft may hurt Noebels' draft chances. I really hope he will be picked, though.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
When has there been a worse year to have the 1st overall pick?

No Hall or Tavares here, there are 4 "BPA" in this draft.

I would love to have the 1st overall pick.

It really means you can add to your franchise' weakness, without really having to worry about BPA.

Need a big D? Take Larsson.

Need a character winger? Take Landeskog.

Need a dynamic playmaker? Take RNH.

Need a big bodied, 2way center? Take Couturier.

It's a win-win-win-win situation.

If you like the next "tier" of players, trade down.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I would love to have the 1st overall pick.

It really means you can add to your franchise' weakness, without really having to worry about BPA.

Need a big D? Take Larsson.

Need a character winger? Take Landeskog.

Need a dynamic playmaker? Take RNH.

Need a big bodied, 2way center? Take Couturier.

It's a win-win-win-win situation.

If you like the next "tier" of players, trade down.
Yep, people said the same thing last year - that it's a bad year to have the first pick because there was no consensus #1.

It's not about how many players can go first overall, it's about how good they'll be.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
When has there been a worse year to have the 1st overall pick?

No Hall or Tavares here, there are 4 "BPA" in this draft.

We've been spoiled by some recent drafts. In the mid 90s, guys like Roman Hamrlik, Ed Jovanovski, and Bryan Berard each went #1. I was young back then, but I don't recall anybody projecting them to be surefire perennial All-Stars.

You have 1996 when everybody conceded that #1 pick Chris Phillips would be in the 5-10 range in a normal Draft year. 1999 had most folks saying Patrik Stefan was the best guy, while others would have taken Pavel Brendl over the Sedins as well.

Gaborik and Heatley weren't considered franchise guys in 2000. The draft is shaping up to be similar to 2006.

Erik Johnson ~ Adam Larsson - Big D with offensive skill. At the time (and I suppose still now) people questioned Johnson's mean streak. Similar questions have been posed about whether Larsson will get the most out of his sizable frame.

Jordan Staal ~ Sean Couturier - Both big with good hands and noted defensive abilities.

Jonathan Toews ~ Gabriel Landeskog - Obviously Toews is a center and Landeskog is a winger, so it's not a direct comparison. But both have been commended for their maturity and leadership skills. At the time, some wondered what Toews' offensive upside would be in the NHL. Similarly, the question is whether Landeskog will produce like an Iginla or a Morrow.

Nicklas Backstrom ~ Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Backstrom came on strong to crack the top 4 at that Draft. RNH is making a case to potentially go #1 with his crafty playmaking.

The draft also has some similarities to 2009 with Hedman/Larsson, Tavares/Couturier, Duchene/RNH, and Kane/Landeskog as the comparables.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Someone said that Adam Larsson is Swedens biggest prospect to come out from Sweden ever.

That´s really not true. Im sure of that Lidstrom was considered better than Larsson, according to skill level, just that Larsson has a meaner game.

Mats Sundin was considered a superstar when he was young, Markus Naslund was been a star in all Youthteams, a childsuperstar, and considered NHL superstar (even bigger then he became). Forsberg was considered a talent as soon as he was drafted, and after the draft he grow like nobody else.

Adam Larsson is maybe Swedens fifth biggest talent, and reminds me of Mathias Ohlund. That is where you should project him. I think Hedman is the superstar of those two. Larsson has a greater slapper though. But it is the one timer that is the real deal for a D-man.

This draft is something special, we have no idea who will be drafted first.
The playoff maybe will tell.

RNH is the biggest talent?
top 6?

RNH
S.Cortuier
A.Larsson
R.Strome
G.Landeskog
R.Murphy

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
Let's talk about Portland Winterhawks 2011 eligibles!

Last year #4 Johansen, #5 Niederreiter, #43 Ross. Three guys in TOP45.

This year Bärtschi, Rattie, Morrow and Wotherspoon. Do you see they could have four guys in TOP45 this year?

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
Someone said that Adam Larsson is Swedens biggest prospect to come out from Sweden ever.

That´s really not true. Im sure of that Lidstrom was considered better than Larsson, according to skill level, just that Larsson has a meaner game.

I Disagree. Lidstrom was third round pick in 1989. He was considered to become borderline NHL'er.

Detroit second round pick in 89 was defenceman Bob Boughner. So they had Boughner>Lidström. Lidas was a bit late boomer. He was aged over 30 when winning his first Norris.

Adam Larsson is maybe Swedens fifth biggest talent, and reminds me of Mathias Ohlund. That is where you should project him. I think Hedman is the superstar of those two. Larsson has a greater slapper though. But it is the one timer that is the real deal for a D-man.

I've seen some comparison between Ohlund and Larsson. I see this as Larssons worst case scenario is to become next 'Ohlund'. But I believe he will be better.

This draft is something special, we have no idea who will be drafted first.
The playoff maybe will tell.

RNH is the biggest talent?

I have an idea who will be #1 overall. It's Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. He is one level above the others.

A: RNH
B1: Larsson and Couturier
B2: Landeskog

Thats how I rank them.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Let's talk about Portland Winterhawks 2011 eligibles!

Last year #4 Johansen, #5 Niederreiter, #43 Ross. Three guys in TOP45.

This year Bärtschi, Rattie, Morrow and Wotherspoon. Do you see they could have four guys in TOP45 this year?

I don't see Wotherspoon in the top 45. I think all 4 go in the top 60-70 though.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Detroit second round pick in 89 was defenceman Bob Boughner. So they had Boughner>Lidström. Lidas was a bit late boomer. He was aged over 30 when winning his first Norris.

Um, where do you figure that Lidstrom was a late bloomer? Just because he didn't win his first norris till 2000 or whatever it was doesnt mean squat. He was a dominant defenseman within no time. Some might even say he was dominant from game 1. Far from late bloomer... :shakehead

sharks4life111

Mar 7, 2011
Hey guys what are the odds that Spencer Abraham from the Brampton Battalion gets drafted?

its a possibility for him to be taken in maybe the last 2 rounds, but i find it unlikely unless a team has specific interest in him. i go to alot of brampton games, and there is always detroit scouts there...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad