*********** 2011 Free Agency **********

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
Is the bidding now closed? I hate when people use midnight for a deadline.

Shouldn't be. It says July 11th.

I know that submission list was updated yesterday afternoon ... I sent at 11:05PM last night. Can you please update the list of those you recieved? Last thing I need is another misdirected e-mail.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Shouldn't be. It says July 11th.

Exactly. There is only 1 time that is 12 AM on July 11th and it passed last night. Had it said 11:59 PM on July 11th, that would mean tonight. Midnight tonight will be July 12th. Not an incredibly challenging concept.

Additionally, the bidding started at midnight of the 4th, which is July 5th.... ever so clearly pointed out in the bold.

Last edited:

Lord Stanley

Revoluccion Leader
Feb 24, 2003
In your head
revoluccionsoup.sauna.ca
Drew we got your offers and also got yours Matt. So far teams sent are Carolina Calgary NYI Devils Caps Flyers Panthers Jackets Blues TBay Ottawa Nashville Avs Sabres Coyotes Stars Sharks Oilers Habs Wings Ducks Rangers Canucks and Wild. The deadline is tonight, Matt made an error in the msg I guess it should have said 11:59 on the 11th. The bottom line is tonight is the deadline.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Drew we got your offers and also got yours Matt. So far teams sent are Carolina Calgary NYI Devils Caps Flyers Panthers Jackets Blues TBay Ottawa Nashville Avs Sabres Coyotes Stars Sharks Oilers Habs Wings Ducks Rangers Canucks and Wild. The deadline is tonight, Matt made an error in the msg I guess it should have said 11:59 on the 11th. The bottom line is tonight is the deadline.

Interesting. The language seems pretty clear, but it's not my job to interpret.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Language was clear, but so I thought was the intent - never hurts for people to ask for clarification on important points in advance of the deadline (rather than on the day that is!).

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Exactly. There is only 1 time that is 12 AM on July 11th and it passed last night. Had it said 11:59 PM on July 11th, that would mean tonight. Midnight tonight will be July 12th. Not an incredibly challenging concept.

Additionally, the bidding started at midnight of the 4th, which is July 5th.... ever so clearly pointed out in the bold.

Actually I asked Matt Ke yesterday and he said it was tonight

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I'm glad it's tonight, I checked a few times to make sure it was 11th, but never considered the possibility it meant last night.

Vaive-Alive

Mar 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
BOS offers have been sent - today - July 11th, before 11:59pm /midnight/whatever literation, dance interpretation, and mental constipation you wish to call end-of-day July 11th which is what was implied by the authors. Same as it ever was. Time isn't holding us.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
BOS offers have been sent - today - July 11th, before 11:59pm /midnight/whatever literation, dance interpretation, and mental constipation you wish to call end-of-day July 11th which is what was implied by the authors. Same as it ever was. Time isn't holding us.

Unfortunately, it wouldn't have even been an issue if teams wouldn't have waited until the 11th hour to send offers in to the offices. The language wouldn't even have to be interpreted one way or the other.

I doubt many would be as liberal with their interpretation of time on April 18th at midnight.

TorontoGM

Nov 10, 2005
Unfortunately, it wouldn't have even been an issue if teams wouldn't have waited until the 11th hour to send offers in to the offices. The language wouldn't even have to be interpreted one way or the other.

I doubt many would be as liberal with their interpretation of time on April 18th at midnight.

I'm still confused about the PST?:sarcasm:

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site

I don't know what you're going on about, but if the conclusion is that it's Kershaw's fault, I support your initiative to ambiguously ***** about something.

Edit: Really? I can't say b-itch? That's absurd.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
I don't know what you're going on about, but if the conclusion is that it's Kershaw's fault, I support your initiative to ambiguously ***** about something.

Edit: Really? I can't say b-itch? That's absurd.

I'm with you - I don't get what all the fuss is about?

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
I think the difference is that in the previous instance - the prospect cut deadline - there was no perceived ambiguity in the cutoff. Here, despite your assertions, there is. Like it or not, many people interpret midnight as the end of one day, while others consider it the start of the next day. For the former group, (apparently including the OP), midnight of the 11th is not for another few hours.

In over to avoid this kind of ambiguity, we typically post deadline as 11:59 PM so there's no confusion. Since that was not done in this case, certain allowances must be given. That said, if someone was to submit at 3 PM tomorrow, and then claim that they missed the deadline because of the ambiguous instructions, they wouldn't get much sympathy.

This is a voluntary league. We must recognize and acknowledge best efforts, but at the same time balance that with some consistency in the application of rules designed to make it a level playing field for all. That's not always an easy balance to achieve. In this instance, however, I believe it's both easy and obvious.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Really? Maybe I should have stayed on my holiday....

EDIT: I don't really understand the issue - if you read it as Sunday night then you got your offers in on time. If you read it as Monday night and submitted after Sunday, I still don't see the issue, as nobody in any official capacity is denying or rejecting the submissions that are occurring today. So, what's the fuss again?

Last edited:

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Is it possible to update my offers or are they final once they have been mailed in? Might be one or two guys I would like to increase my offers on.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Is it possible to update my offers or are they final once they have been mailed in? Might be one or two guys I would like to increase my offers on.

Technically offers aren't final until tonight at 11:59 pm +/- 1 minute, so yes, you could submit revised bids. Is it bad form, though? Would it be ethical? I'd have to ask Brian Burke...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad