2010 NHL Draft Top100

Howard59

Jul 13, 2007
ummm I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you here. Merrill, Forbort, Faulk, Tinordi, and Johns all could be first round picks. Infact, Merrill and Forbort are battling for top 10 rankings right now. Faulk has come into the top 30, and Johns and Tinordi are on most peoples top 30 list. You can add Kevin Clare to this list also, as he goes in the top 50 too. This is the most impressive group of dmen that the US has ever produced in a single draft. You add Fowler and Mattson who both were on this team last year, and that is an amazing group of kids.

From the OHL don't forget about defenseman Brandon Archibald, Joe Rogalski and Austin Levi...

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
24 year-olds at Bowdoin, Colby, Williams, Union colleges where the U-18's had success aren't quite on the same par as Hockey East or the WCHA. Aside from a good win against Cornell, they haven't exactly dominated the likes of Michigan or Boston. It'll be interesting to see how they fare against stronger NCAA teams like MSU, Wisconsin & Maine in January. It doesn't look like they will get tested against a DU or CC, so I still feel like although they have some talented players who have huge upside and could adjust over time to the higher level of play in not just Major-Junior, but the OHL in particular, as of this point in the season they're not yet on par. Admittedly, the 3rd-7th rounders aren't being drafted so much on what they can do now, but on what they can be developed into over a few more years. The first-rounders, though- aren't there higher expectations for them to made a faster impact? I can see a few already like as you mentioned Zucker, Moffatt, & Merrill whose upside is pretty much indisputable, but if the season ended right now, the others you pointed out would be scatterred through rounds 2-4 imo. Let's see how they do in the 2nd half of the season. Anything is possible with that kind of talent.

i am still missing your point here. i dont know why you keep talking about rounds 2 - 4, as there is a big difference from round 2 to 4 and above. arguing that is completely silly. you do realise that this program usually runs for two years depending on the kid, and the chl has up to 5 years to mold their players. this is a development program, hence the name. you keep trying to compare the competition they play against, but that is completely out of their hands. you neednt look any further then fowler, etem, morin, and ryan and how they all doing in the chl...they are tearing it up right now. but how could they do it after playing against such inferior competition for the usndp?

if the season ended now, all those names i previously mentioned (merrill,forbort, tinordi, faulk, johns, zucker, clare, arnold, moffatt, campbell ) would be top 2 rounds, and nowhere near round 4. and yes that matters, especially for what this program was created for...getting kids drafted high and getting them prepared for the nhl. this will be a monster draft for the usndp and i really do not see your argument.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
ummm I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you here. Merrill, Forbort, Faulk, Tinordi, and Johns all could be first round picks. Infact, Merrill and Forbort are battling for top 10 rankings right now. Faulk has come into the top 30, and Johns and Tinordi are on most peoples top 30 list. You can add Kevin Clare to this list also, as he goes in the top 50 too. This is the most impressive group of dmen that the US has ever produced in a single draft. You add Fowler and Mattson who both were on this team last year, and that is an amazing group of kids.

From the OHL don't forget about defenseman Brandon Archibald, Joe Rogalski and Austin Levi...

all 3 excellent prospects, but i was only talking about the usntdp dmen only. you can add taylor aronson to that group of talented chl american blue liners.

Rally Donkey

Aug 13, 2009
Chatham, Ont
Ntdp

i am still missing your point here. i dont know why you keep talking about rounds 2 - 4, as there is a big difference from round 2 to 4 and above. arguing that is completely silly. you do realise that this program usually runs for two years depending on the kid, and the chl has up to 5 years to mold their players. this is a development program, hence the name. you keep trying to compare the competition they play against, but that is completely out of their hands. you neednt look any further then fowler, etem, morin, and ryan and how they all doing in the chl...they are tearing it up right now. but how could they do it after playing against such inferior competition for the usndp?

if the season ended now, all those names i previously mentioned (merrill,forbort, tinordi, faulk, johns, zucker, clare, arnold, moffatt, campbell ) would be top 2 rounds, and nowhere near round 4. and yes that matters, especially for what this program was created for...getting kids drafted high and getting them prepared for the nhl. this will be a monster draft for the usndp and i really do not see your argument.

I agree it's silly, but I'm having fun and I appreciate your indulgence. The point of my argument is that I thought we began talking about where players are ranked (according to legitimate scouts), and I believe only one or two NTDP defensemen should be ranked in the top 30 of this very deep draft year because they play a weaker schedule (which I agree is obviously no fault of their own). I think that teams who take players in the first round are hopeful they'll be able to make their team and play in the NHL the following season. That expectation diminishes with later rounds, though. I think almost all of the U18s have the potential to make it to the NHL eventually, but this thread is only about the 2010 draft. Our exchange has been about the order and even more specifically about who deserves to be in the first round. The length of a program is inconsequential for the sake of our discussion. They all get drafted at 18.

Fowler - ok, and I'd be even more impressed if he put up the same numbers on a team that wasn't the reigning Memorial Cup champion with obscene talent on every line. How can you not have be a plus 25 when you play every other shift on a team that rolls three lines of the top scorers in a league (unless you suck)? But, yes, he looks great.

Etem - the NTDP can't legitimately take credit for him. He played with them for one year and left for precisely the reasons I'm arguing. The NTDP didn't develop him, and the CHL will have more to do with why he'll be drafted high.

Morin - who? You mean the '91 playing for Kitchener who didn't get drafted last year? Was he with the NTDP last year? If so, you're making my point.

Ryan - not exactly "tearing it up" as you put it. He's not embarrassing himself, but he's one of many reasons that make my point. He's on the greatest team in Junior hockey and he's sitting at 15 points in 21 games. Even the great Cam Fowler can't help him outshine the likes of forwards Hall, Henrique, Nemisz and Watson. No shame in his game, Ryan's doing an impressive job after stepping up to an accelerated level of play, but it hasn't been automatic and instant adjustment for him.

I just disagree with your claim that the NTDP develops players for the NHL. I don't think the NTDP even makes that claim. I'm pretty sure they say they develop players for the NCAA. In my opinion, they just skim the cream of the 15-year-old crop and give them some excellent exposure. Merrill's great because he's Merrill and works hard, not because the NTDP made him. He was the best before he got there and they get credit for not screwing him up (yet). If he'd played in the OHL for a year, he might even be ahead of Fowler by now.

The NTDP is important for one reason - it's free hockey for 40 kids who have proven they're among the best midgets in the USA and it's a logical and much needed bridge to Div I NCAA. That's about it. Wanna take bets on how many bail from next year's class to major junior for these reasons? I'd say 4 or more.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I saw Tom Kuhnhackl play, and he is amazing. He can be the best German ever. If not best, he will be 2nd best, behind his father.
He got everything whats needed.

southsidehockey

Sep 29, 2009
Chicago
I agree it's silly, but I'm having fun and I appreciate your indulgence. The point of my argument is that I thought we began talking about where players are ranked (according to legitimate scouts), and I believe only one or two NTDP defensemen should be ranked in the top 30 of this very deep draft year because they play a weaker schedule (which I agree is obviously no fault of their own). I think that teams who take players in the first round are hopeful they'll be able to make their team and play in the NHL the following season. That expectation diminishes with later rounds, though. I think almost all of the U18s have the potential to make it to the NHL eventually, but this thread is only about the 2010 draft. Our exchange has been about the order and even more specifically about who deserves to be in the first round. The length of a program is inconsequential for the sake of our discussion. They all get drafted at 18.

Fowler - ok, and I'd be even more impressed if he put up the same numbers on a team that wasn't the reigning Memorial Cup champion with obscene talent on every line. How can you not have be a plus 25 when you play every other shift on a team that rolls three lines of the top scorers in a league (unless you suck)? But, yes, he looks great.

Etem - the NTDP can't legitimately take credit for him. He played with them for one year and left for precisely the reasons I'm arguing. The NTDP didn't develop him, and the CHL will have more to do with why he'll be drafted high.

Morin - who? You mean the '91 playing for Kitchener who didn't get drafted last year? Was he with the NTDP last year? If so, you're making my point.

Ryan - not exactly "tearing it up" as you put it. He's not embarrassing himself, but he's one of many reasons that make my point. He's on the greatest team in Junior hockey and he's sitting at 15 points in 21 games. Even the great Cam Fowler can't help him outshine the likes of forwards Hall, Henrique, Nemisz and Watson. No shame in his game, Ryan's doing an impressive job after stepping up to an accelerated level of play, but it hasn't been automatic and instant adjustment for him.

I just disagree with your claim that the NTDP develops players for the NHL. I don't think the NTDP even makes that claim. I'm pretty sure they say they develop players for the NCAA. In my opinion, they just skim the cream of the 15-year-old crop and give them some excellent exposure. Merrill's great because he's Merrill and works hard, not because the NTDP made him. He was the best before he got there and they get credit for not screwing him up (yet). If he'd played in the OHL for a year, he might even be ahead of Fowler by now.

The NTDP is important for one reason - it's free hockey for 40 kids who have proven they're among the best midgets in the USA and it's a logical and much needed bridge to Div I NCAA. That's about it. Wanna take bets on how many bail from next year's class to major junior for these reasons? I'd say 4 or more.

Oh boy...

First of all, Jeremy Morin was drafted by Atlanta in the second round last year... along with four other NTDP players.

Second of all, I just looked at the NTDP media guide on their website... 162 players drafted. Over 45 played in the NHL last year alone. Arguably, the two best American forwards, Kessel and Kane played there and Parise basically played in every tournament with the NTDP. Hard to argue with those results...

You are still missing the point about the competition. They actually had a good deal of success against Michigan, BU and BC, they just didn't win the games. I actually saw them play at Michigan and Jon Merrill might have been one of the best players on the ice that game for either team. Again, we're talking about a team with nothing but 17 year olds playing against 18-24 year olds. Which is the entire point.

No one has ever jumped right from the NTDP to the NHL and probably never will, but we're still seeing more quality American players coming out of the NTDP, which I think is all it needs to do.

There is no doubt that all of those Dmen have huge upsides. It would be hard to find a scout anywhere that wouldn't agree with that.

Rally Donkey

Aug 13, 2009
Chatham, Ont
Oh boy...First of all, Jeremy Morin was drafted by Atlanta in the second round last year... along with four other NTDP players...

Woops, apologies to Jeremy for not knowing more about him, and thanks for correcting me. Hey, if I knew so much, I'd be getting paid for my opinion :D Thanks for having a little fun with me & good luck to the kids. It'll be an exciting 2nd half of the season for sure.

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
24 year-olds at Bowdoin, Colby, Williams, Union colleges where the U-18's had success aren't quite on the same par as Hockey East or the WCHA. Aside from a good win against Cornell, they haven't exactly dominated the likes of Michigan or Boston. It'll be interesting to see how they fare against stronger NCAA teams like MSU, Wisconsin & Maine in January. It doesn't look like they will get tested against a DU or CC, so I still feel like although they have some talented players who have huge upside and could adjust over time to the higher level of play in not just Major-Junior, but the OHL in particular, as of this point in the season they're not yet on par. Admittedly, the 3rd-7th rounders aren't being drafted so much on what they can do now, but on what they can be developed into over a few more years. The first-rounders, though- aren't there higher expectations for them to made a faster impact? I can see a few already like as you mentioned Zucker, Moffatt, & Merrill whose upside is pretty much indisputable, but if the season ended right now, the others you pointed out would be scatterred through rounds 2-4 imo. Let's see how they do in the 2nd half of the season. Anything is possible with that kind of talent.

So team Canada players are all busts last night as they lost to the CIS team because CIS is a lower level of competition :sarcasm:

They also defeated Bowling Green Division I, only lost by one to BU, two to Michigan. If you are looking for them to defeat the powerhouses of Division I then you are looking the wrong way how this program works. You have 17-year-olds playing against guys who most likely had three years of juniors before heading to college then another year to three in school.

Experience>Potential

Two years ago most of these kids were playing major/minor midget.

Nick Shore the tam's leading scorer has 19 of his 21 points against college teams. Zucker has 17 of his 20 points against college teams. That's pretty impressive.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

all i can say is yikes. once you made the fowler and morin comments you should have stopped typing. you do not get the point of the USNDP and you never will. thanks for having some fun on here. :help:

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Oh boy...

First of all, Jeremy Morin was drafted by Atlanta in the second round last year... along with four other NTDP players.

Second of all, I just looked at the NTDP media guide on their website... 162 players drafted. Over 45 played in the NHL last year alone. Arguably, the two best American forwards, Kessel and Kane played there and Parise basically played in every tournament with the NTDP. Hard to argue with those results...

You are still missing the point about the competition. They actually had a good deal of success against Michigan, BU and BC, they just didn't win the games. I actually saw them play at Michigan and Jon Merrill might have been one of the best players on the ice that game for either team. Again, we're talking about a team with nothing but 17 year olds playing against 18-24 year olds. Which is the entire point.

No one has ever jumped right from the NTDP to the NHL and probably never will, but we're still seeing more quality American players coming out of the NTDP, which I think is all it needs to do.

There is no doubt that all of those Dmen have huge upsides. It would be hard to find a scout anywhere that wouldn't agree with that.

this pretty much says it all. great post on the accomplishments of this program, and its purpose. i guess the OHL just made Hall, Tavares, and Stamkos...i guess they werent players yet until they got there.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Experience>Potential

Two years ago most of these kids were playing major/minor midget.

Nick Shore the tam's leading scorer has 19 of his 21 points against college teams. Zucker has 17 of his 20 points against college teams. That's pretty impressive.

I would take it a little further. A 20 year old is also much more physically mature (power and strenght and size) then a 17 year old - on average. That makes a huge difference when playing along the boards and controlling the puck.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
I saw Tom Kuhnhackl play, and he is amazing. He can be the best German ever. If not best, he will be 2nd best, behind his father.
He got everything whats needed.

With what team did you see him play?

I've noticed he hasn't played with Landshut for about two weeks and he wasn't on German U-20 team that played in France. I was a bit surprised by that. Where is he playing right now?

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
With what team did you see him play?

I've noticed he hasn't played with Landshut for about two weeks and he wasn't on German U-20 team that played in France. I was a bit surprised by that. Where is he playing right now?

He´s currently injured, that´s why he missed the U20´s, it was mentioned at the Germany boards, I think.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
He´s currently injured, that´s why he missed the U20´s, it was mentioned at the Germany boards, I think.

Found it. Thank you. Too bad he missed that tournament. Would have been good for him to be there. Would have been an opportunity to show his offensive skills. Tough for a 17-year-old to do that in a pro league.

Rally Donkey

Aug 13, 2009
Chatham, Ont
....From the OHL don't forget about defenseman Brandon Archibald, Joe Rogalski and Austin Levi...

Funny you should mention those three in particular. I have them neck and neck on my list. I think Archibald got off to a better start this season, and Rogalski has shown glimpses of offensive superiority. I like Levi better in the corners and breakouts and he's been more of a physical presence consistently. I also like Ryan O'Connor, but the others are a smidge higher on my list cuz they have the added size in addition to good hockey IQ. All four have excellent upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad