2010 Hall of Fame Class

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
I think Fleury is definitely closer to Oates and Gilmour than he was to Andreychuk. He was really an excellent player throughout the 90's, and was amazing in the playoffs for teams that never made it past the first round.

He was bat**** crazy though, which doesn't help his cause.

He was not. Fleury was never "The best", or even close to "The best". Nobody was giving him Hart votes and he was just a scorer who never could break into the top 5 in scoring. He only broke into the top 10 in scoring 3 times.

Oates is one of the Greatest playmakers ever to play, and Gilmour was a great two way player and playoff game breaker.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
He was not. Fleury was never "The best", or even close to "The best". Nobody was giving him Hart votes and he was just a scorer who never could break into the top 5 in scoring. He only broke into the top 10 in scoring 3 times.

Oates is one of the Greatest playmakers ever to play, and Gilmour was a great two way player and playoff game breaker.

Fleury will never get in.he won a Stanley Cup on a team that had a very good roster.thats all.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
Fleury excelled as a dwarf in the age of giants. He wasn't the best, but he was very good and extremely memorable and entertaining. It's Hall of Fame, not Hall of Good Stats or Hall of Top 10 Scoring Finishes. To me, he had far more 'fame' in him than say Recchi and Andreychuk combined. He definitely warrants a consideration.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

I agree with most of that post Fleury is not in the same class as Oates or Gilmour. Both of those guys should and will get into the Hall of Fame without much of a whimper. Fleury is going to be hotly contested either way.

But I think it's a pretty good accomplishment to be in the top 10 in scoring 3 times. That's along the same lines as guys like Sittler and Sundin. Good company

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Stanley Cup is not a accomplishment that should be noted if deciding whether or not someone should be in HHOF. Neither does Olympic achievements, because those are TEAM accomplishments.

so Clark Gilles is in the Hall Of fame because of ? .....help me out here....please....:help:

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Fleury excelled as a dwarf in the age of giants. He wasn't the best, but he was very good and extremely memorable and entertaining. It's Hall of Fame, not Hall of Good Stats or Hall of Top 10 Scoring Finishes. To me, he had far more 'fame' in him than say Recchi and Andreychuk combined. He definitely warrants a consideration.

I'll consider him,on second thought NO!!!!!!!:sarcasm:

Badger Bob

Fleury's service to Team Canada might eventually tip things in his favor, over the other issues. If it's to happen, it'll be a while. Overcoming adversity (being told at every level that he was too small) to reach some very high levels counts for something more than a consensus overall #1 pick squandering talent to glide through a career (Turgeon blazed a trail for the Daigle).

trevchar1971

Jun 1, 2006
I'll go with Gilmour, Oates, Bure, and Lindros..... although i think the Bure/ Lindros spots culd be given to non-players (builders etc).

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Fleury will never get in.he won a Stanley Cup on a team that had a very good roster.thats all.

It's true, he wasn't a huge factor in 1989 as a rookie on a great team.

However, he was a dynamite playoff performer on some really mediocre Calgary teams throughout the 90's. He scored 51 points in 37 games with Calgary in the 90's, and tacked on another great run with Colorado in 1999 when he was finally on a team good enough to make it out of round 1.

In the regular season he scored at a 100+ point pace in 6 different seasons. He was a mainstay on Canada's national teams, playing the Canada Cup 1991, World Cup 1996, and the 1998 and 2002 Olympics (which is a very impressive feat).

If he had his head screwed on straight, Fleury would absolutely be a HOFer.

benishlv

Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas
Despite the obvious choices already listed, here are the ones I think deserve it too.
- Petr Bondra
- Eric Lindros
- Joe Nieuwendyk
- Pierre Turgeon
- Dave Andreychuk
- Alexander Mogilny

overpass

Jun 7, 2007

Even on scoring finishes alone, he compares well with recent HOFer Pat Lafontaine. Fleury had 3 top 10 finishes in scoring to Lafontaine's 2, 6 top 20 finishes to Lafontaine's 5, and 12 top 50 finishes to Lafontaine's 9. Add in his playoff resume and any style credit you want to give him and Fleury looks like a legitimate candidate.

1low4door

Aug 31, 2009
a large crop to choose from:

Forwards:

Dave Andreychuk :1338 pts (23rd) , 640 Goals (11th)
Doug Gilmour: 1414 pts, 450 goals
Alex Mogilny: 1032 pts, 473 goals
Bernie Nicholls: 1209 pts, 475 goals
Pat Verbeek: 1063 pts, 522 goals
Dave Taylor: 1069 pts 431 goals
Dino Ciccarelli: 1200 pts, 608 goals
Steve Larmer: 1012 pts, 441 goals
Adam Oates: 1420 pts, 341 goals
Dale Hunter: 1020 pts, 323 goals
Joe Neiuwendyk: 1126 pts, 564 goals
Theoren Fleury: 1088 pts, 455 goals
Rick Middleton: 988 pts, 448 gaols
Vincent Damphousse: 1205 pts, 432 goals
Pierre Turgeon: 1327 pts, 515 goals

Defensemen:

Mark Howe: 742 pts, 197 goals (NHL) plus 6 yrs in WHA gives him well over 1000 pts
Phil Housley: 1323 pts (3rd among defense), 338 goals
Doug Wilson: 827 pts 237 goals, Norris winner,

Goalies:

Mike Vernon: 385 wins
Andy Moog
Mike Richter: 301 wins
Tom Barrasso : 369 wins
Rogie Vachon: 355 wins

Other considerations (great seasons, shorter careers)
Eric Lindros
Tim Kerr
Pavel Bure
Reggie Leach

Reasoned Opinion

May 21, 2009
Logic Land
Pavel Bure had a HOF career and should be acknowledged as such. He led the league in goals twice while with the Panthers skating on essentially one knee. Cam Neely gets in, Pavel gets in.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
I don't think there will be four players in. That usually applies only when a big amount of HHOF caliber players have been retired at the same time and therefore are first-time eligible.

CANUCKER4LIFE19*

Pavel Bure should've already been in by now. If neely is in, then bure should easily make the hhof in 2010

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
I'm still holding out hope that the NHLHOF, commonly called the HHOF, actually starts to realize that many many great players never played a game in the NHL and unquestionably deserve to get in over all the players mentioned in this thread. Maltsev, Mikhailov, Vasiliev, Tumba, Bobrov, Holecek.....just to name a couple.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I'm still holding out hope that the NHLHOF, commonly called the HHOF, actually starts to realize that many many great players never played a game in the NHL and unquestionably deserve to get in over all the players mentioned in this thread. Maltsev, Mikhailov, Vasiliev, Tumba, Bobrov, Holecek.....just to name a couple.

I think the time has passed for them to induct international players who never played a game in the NHL. Or at least if they do, it'll be after a guy like Makarov who played a few years in the league. The NHL really missed their chance to induct Makarov at the same time as Larionov. (All the guys you listed should be inducted of course if the Hall wants to be for more than just North American players).

Another name that I don't think I've seen in this thread who I would induct is J.C. Tremblay.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
If they were going to induct Makarov, they would have done it when they inducted Igor Larionov last year. I don't think Makarov will ever make it. Which is a shame.

I don't think you'll see four guys inducted. Gilmour and Oates finally make it, on their fifth and fourth attempts, respectively. I'd love to see the quintessential small forward, Theo Fleury, make it, but he won't. You might see a guy like Claude Provost make it in. But beyond Gilmour and Oates, I would say that all bets are off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad