Apr 18, 2007
Ontario
www.muckmyblog.blogspot.com
It's likely safe to say that the following players will be inducted in 2009:

- Steve Yzerman
- Brett Hull
- Brian Leetch
- Luc Robitaille

However, looking ahead to 2010, who does everyone think will be inducted. In my small research it appears the following players are first year candidates:

- Matthew Barnaby
- Petr Bondra
- Sean Burke
- Eric Lindros
- Scott Mellanby
- Joe Nieuwendyk
- Mike Ricci
- Patrik Stefan
- Pierre Turgeon

Some carryovers from 2009 not to be inducted in their first year that could be inducted:

- Dave Andreychuk
- Alexander Mogilny

And my personal favourite holdover: Dino Ciccarelli, as well as Adam Oates, Vincent Damphousse, Mike Richter, Pavel Bure, Phil Housley, Theo Fleury, Tom Barrasso, Doug Gilmour, Pat Verbeek and Sergei Makarov to name a few

My guess is that Niewendyk is worthy of a first ballot induction. His career is simply too good not to. Andreychuk should likely get in during his second eligible year. I think (off-ice issues aside) that Dino Ciccarelli should get in with over 600 goals. Maybe not 2010, but he deserves to be in.

So if I've missed anyone going back a few more years let me know, but who does everyone think will get in, in 2010.

*If this has been discussed I apologize, but I did a search and it seems only 2009 has been discussed.

Canadiens Fan

Oct 3, 2008
It's always tough to forecast these things because after electing four players in a year the Hall traditionally tries to sneak in a builder or two (for example this year with Scapinello and Chynweth). Also keep in mind that the electors also try and put in an "older candidate" which in 2010 will be a few years overdue.

So I would think in 2010 you will see Nieuwendyk & Oates get elected along with Rogie Vachon and one builder.

Patrik Stefan ????? seriously.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
It's likely safe to say that the following players will be inducted in 2009:

- Steve Yzerman
- Brett Hull
- Brian Leetch
- Luc Robitaille

I think you are correct, although I certainly would not put Robitaille in ahead of Gilmour. I don't know what is taking the board so long to put him in. Gilmour was without a doubt a better player than Robitaille

- Matthew Barnaby
- Petr Bondra
- Sean Burke
- Eric Lindros
- Scott Mellanby
- Joe Nieuwendyk
- Mike Ricci
- Patrik Stefan
- Pierre Turgeon

With the possible exception of Lindros I don't think either one of those guys belongs in the HHOF. Bondra, no. Burke, no. Turgeon, no. And for the life of me I cannot understand why Nieuwendyk is considered a cinch to get inducted. I would never put him in there.

Personally for 2010 I hope Vachon gets a shot and it wouldn't kill them either to give Fleury a long look

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
It SHOULD be Bure, Oates, and Gilmour. But do to the unlikability factor, I wouldn't be surprised if they kept Bure out yet again.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
It's four players, not four inductees. In 2007, four deserving players, plus builder Jim Gregory, were inducted.

Hard to say what will happen. Lindros won't ever get in. Too polarizing. Nieuwendyk will eventually get in, but not first ballot. In fact, I think Nieuwendyk is in for a long wait. At least a decade. Turgeon and Andreychuk have good numbers, but they have a lot of issues, too. Turgeon was soft, he played his way out of three organizations, and he did little besides score. Andreychuk was never named to a first or second all-star team, even though he played at a position with little to choose for all-stars. LW in the 80s and early 90s was weak. No to Bondra. No to Burke.

If Makarov was going to be inducted, I think it would have happened this year when Larionov was inducted. I don't know if Makarov will get in for a long time.

Mogilny has zero shot. A chronic underachiever who failed to live up to his potential for the vast majority of his career.

As far as recent NHLers go, Gilmour and Oates are the best not in the HHOF. Both were excellent two-way players. Oates is the only eligible player with 1,000 assists not in the HHOF. Gilmour was a tremendous clutch player.

I'd like to see Fleury get in - a tremendous clutch player. He set a standard for the "small forward." Every scout for the next decade will be looking for the next Fleury. But his personal issues, especially at the end of his career, will hurt him.

I'd love to see one of the long-time hold-overs - Rogie Vachon, Mark Howe, J.C. Tremblay, Carl Brewer or Claude Provost - get inducted.

Canadiens Fan

Oct 3, 2008
Andreychuk? Over Yzerman, Hull or Leetch? Blasphemy.

The top of the thread states 2010 Hall of Fame Class

The very first post lists the following players as locks for 2009; Yzerman, Hull, Leetch, & Robitaille.

This thread is about who gets in not in 2009 but in 2010.

The Korean*

The top of the thread states 2010 Hall of Fame Class

The very first post lists the following players as locks for 2009; Yzerman, Hull, Leetch, & Robitaille.

This thread is about who gets in not in 2009 but in 2010.

Oh. I thought Leetch, Yzerman and Hull became eligible at 2010.

Canadiens Fan

Oct 3, 2008
It's four players, not four inductees. In 2007, four deserving players, plus builder Jim Gregory, were inducted.

Hard to say what will happen. Lindros won't ever get in. Too polarizing. Nieuwendyk will eventually get in, but not first ballot. In fact, I think Nieuwendyk is in for a long wait. At least a decade. Turgeon and Andreychuk have good numbers, but they have a lot of issues, too. Turgeon was soft, he played his way out of three organizations, and he did little besides score. Andreychuk was never named to a first or second all-star team, even though he played at a position with little to choose for all-stars. LW in the 80s and early 90s was weak. No to Bondra. No to Burke.

If Makarov was going to be inducted, I think it would have happened this year when Larionov was inducted. I don't know if Makarov will get in for a long time.

Mogilny has zero shot. A chronic underachiever who failed to live up to his potential for the vast majority of his career.

As far as recent NHLers go, Gilmour and Oates are the best not in the HHOF. Both were excellent two-way players. Oates is the only eligible player with 1,000 assists not in the HHOF. Gilmour was a tremendous clutch player.

I'd like to see Fleury get in - a tremendous clutch player. He set a standard for the "small forward." Every scout for the next decade will be looking for the next Fleury. But his personal issues, especially at the end of his career, will hurt him.

I'd love to see one of the long-time hold-overs - Rogie Vachon, Mark Howe, J.C. Tremblay, Carl Brewer or Claude Provost - get inducted.

Carl Brewer is an interesting selection, the question is would you put him in as a builder or as a player. One could argue that what he accomplished off the ice was far more important than anything he did on it.

Through the grapevine, I was told that Provost has consistently fell a vote or two short these past couple of years. I have heard the argument that as a defensive forward he was the equal of Bob Gainey with more scoring punch.

For what it's worth, last year I had the chance to ask Jean Beliveau of all of his former teammates who is the one not in the HOF that he feels should be enshrined. Without hesitation, he answered with the name of J.C. Tremblay.

Cool Beans Man

Apr 18, 2007
Ontario
www.muckmyblog.blogspot.com
For what's it worth, I simply listed the players who retired 2 years ago or whatever. I don't think Barnaby or Stefan's name should ever be mentioned in the same paragraph as Hockey Hall of Fame.

Unless it was a picture of them being undressed by someone Hall-worthy.

As for the Robitaille - Gilmour argument, I think Luc being the all-time scorer for left wingers benefits him, as well as having scored more than 600 goals, when Gilmour did not reach 500. I'm not saying that's the difference, but it's numbers that should get Luc in before Dougie. Although Gilmour is certainly hall-worthy at some point.

As for Joe Nieuwendyk he is without a doubt a Hall-of-Famer. 500+ goals, 3 Stanley Cups with 3 different teams, 1 Conn Smythe, 1 Calder and 2(?) 50 goal seasons. (This is off the top of my head) And for what it's worth an Olympic Gold Medal to top it off. He's won everywhere he goes well putting up impressive stats.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
IMO, Oates and Gilmour are gimmes.

After that, Bure is the type of guy I can see why they wait on, but he should get in eventually. Is 2010 the year? Maybe.

I'd like to see more European players in, will they in 2010? Probably not, but, there is time to change panelists, and if more Europeans are on the panel, maybe...

Brewer, Vachon, Tremblay, Howe and Provost are all fine outside contenders as well.

I can see Nieuwendyk eventually make it, but, not until people forget that he was never a good 1st liner.

Lindros is a wait a few years first type. Need to forget the drama and the latter seasons and let the cream of his early career rise to the surface of the discussion.

Sony Eriksson*

Stefan? Wow! Maybe if he is voted in they will play the infamous empty net brain fart that he has been labeled with.

The Korean*

For what's it worth, I simply listed the players who retired 2 years ago or whatever. I don't think Barnaby or Stefan's name should ever be mentioned in the same paragraph as Hockey Hall of Fame.

Unless it was a picture of them being undressed by someone Hall-worthy.

As for the Robitaille - Gilmour argument, I think Luc being the all-time scorer for left wingers benefits him, as well as having scored more than 600 goals, when Gilmour did not reach 500. I'm not saying that's the difference, but it's numbers that should get Luc in before Dougie. Although Gilmour is certainly hall-worthy at some point.

As for Joe Nieuwendyk he is without a doubt a Hall-of-Famer. 500+ goals, 3 Stanley Cups with 3 different teams, 1 Conn Smythe, 1 Calder and 2(?) 50 goal seasons. (This is off the top of my head) And for what it's worth an Olympic Gold Medal to top it off. He's won everywhere he goes well putting up impressive stats.

Stanley Cup is not a accomplishment that should be noted if deciding whether or not someone should be in HHOF. Neither does Olympic achievements, because those are TEAM accomplishments.

Sony Eriksson*

Stanley Cup is not a accomplishment that should be noted if deciding whether or not someone should be in HHOF. Neither does Olympic achievements, because those are TEAM accomplishments.

So Larionov, Fetisov and Kharlamov to name a few don't belong in the HHOF? By the standards you mention on what should not count as a valid reason to be in the HHOF you basically wipe out a majority of the European players that have been inducted.

The Korean*

Yes, they do deserve it, based on what each did on ice.

Europeans were inducted based on their own play, not what they accomplished with their teams.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Yes, they do deserve it, based on what each did on ice.

Europeans were inducted based on their own play, not what they accomplished with their teams.

Except that Europeans are routinely ignored by the HHOF. They have many early era Canadians and Americans inducted, but completely ignore the early era trailblazers in elite hockey countries like Sweden and Russia. If you are going to have a Hobey Baker in, why not a Tumba or Bobrov? Why are so few Russians from their dynasty years in yet so many Canadiens from that dynasty? I think outside of North America, the IIHF HOF has more credibility to players around the world than the sham in Toronto. They just need to either replace the entire voting panel with some people who aren't so biased, or just give up on the HHOF farce and just admit that it's a North American HOF with a few token non-NA players.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
If you are going to have a Hobey Baker in, why not a Tumba or Bobrov? Why are so few Russians from their dynasty years in yet so many Canadiens from that dynasty? I think outside of North America, the IIHF HOF has more credibility to players around the world than the sham in Toronto.

I agree that there needs to be a LOT more European content in the HHOF, but the IIHF Hall of Fame has some extremely weak selections IMO. There's a lot of guys in the IIHF hall that tried and failed to even stick in the NHL.

Section311

Sponsor
Dec 21, 2008
long Island, NY
I think the most interesting case is going to be Lindros. I dont know if he deserves it or not but I do think he will get in...not sure first time but eventually

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
2009 is prettymuch a lock for Yzerman, Hull, Leetch and Robitaille, although it wouldn't be a total shock to the system to see one of Leetch or Robitaille overlooked.

So here's my take on 2010:
none of the first year eligibles get in, as much as I like Burke, Bondra, and Nieuwendyk, this pool of potential HOFers is just outright weak. So I see this as being a "catching up" year.

If I had the votes it would go like this:
Adam Oates
Doug Gilmour
Mark Howe
Sergei Makarov

Loto68

Aug 12, 2006
Boston
2009 is prettymuch a lock for Yzerman, Hull, Leetch and Robitaille, although it wouldn't be a total shock to the system to see one of Leetch or Robitaille overlooked.

There is no way Leetch could ever get overlooked by the Hall voters. 2 Norris, the Calder, a Conn Smythe, one of only 5 defenseman to ever score 100 pts, oh and he's one of the top 2 American's to ever play in the NHL.

Luc I agree with you on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad