2010/2011 Retirements, Euro Bound Players List

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
what if a player is unsigned by the deadline day?

They are still yours then.

IF the player has not played ANYWHERE for more than one full season, AND has not been trying out with teams, we consider them 'unofficially' retired and can be removed. Otherwise the player remains active on your roster.

I've got two guys in the same boat as you. Parrish (who I keep expecting to retire but hasn't) and Koistinen. I'd be just as happy if Koistinen signed somewhere where he'd get a shot to rebound but if not I hope he signs in Europe really soon.

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
He's out of the HFNHL until he (hopefully) returns to hockey to score his 1000th point. Same as with forsberg and koivu a few years ago, recently sullivan and this summer kim johnsson.

Actually that's not necessarily true. In the Lindros, Sullivan, Koivu, and Forsberg cases it was strongly believed it was truly career ending (in effect most were when you think about it). Missing a year for a LTIR does not mean automatic removal.

There are many cases where the player was not removed b/c there was a reasonable belief the player would be back in a year or less. Most recent example would be Mike van Ryn who I do not think was removed last year even though it was announced he would not be able to play the 2009/10 season. There was reason enough, at that time, to believe this was an LTIR not a career ending injury.

Truth is (in my tenure with the Admin team) I'd say decisions on whether to keep or remove players in these sort of circumstances came out close to 50/50.

The Admin Team should be reviewing these cases as the past decisions (and be extension precedents) are not clear cut enough to have a hard and fast rule on cases like this.

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
I always thought Pettinger had the stuff to be a bona fide NHLer; I remember being disappointed at having to move him with Pitkanen in the Buffalo deal. I guess you really never can tell.

March 2007

To COL:
LW Vyascheslav Kozlov (Part of the Hossa trade with Tampa in Feb 2008)
CBJ 5th 2009 (later traded to Boston, who picked Rasmus Rissanen)

To CBJ:
LW Matt Pettinger
Prospect G Leland Irving
TOR 3rd 2007 (later traded to MIN, who picked Ben Ryan)

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
March 2007

To COL:
LW Vyascheslav Kozlov (Part of the Hossa trade with Tampa in Feb 2008)
CBJ 5th 2009 (later traded to Boston, who picked Rasmus Rissanen)

To CBJ:
LW Matt Pettinger
Prospect G Leland Irving
TOR 3rd 2007 (later traded to MIN, who picked Ben Ryan)

Yep - I only had Pettinger for a few months before I packed him off to Buffalo: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=388331

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
We usually only pull a player if their injury/health concern is projected to last a year or more. Savard is just indeterminate, like Willie Mitchell or Kurt Sauer, so he should still be available this season.

Oh, and Mathieu Dandenault hangs 'em up: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=335366

If they put him on LTIR, he is only required to miss 10 games/24 days. Sounds like he'll be missing a lot more time than that, but it's indeterminine like you said. Obviously I'm biased, but I don't see any reason to deactivate him in the HFNHL.

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
so Ian lappierre has been told to
retire is he gunna be cut he was out before October 1st doesn't affect me just wondering

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
so Ian lappierre has been told to
retire is he gunna be cut he was out before October 1st doesn't affect me just wondering

Shame if true - Lappy was always one of the un-sung heroes of the HFNHL. Since nothing was officially confirmed prior to October 1st, he'll still be available for the balance of our season. Call it his HFNHL victory lap. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad