2010/2011 Retirements, Euro Bound Players List

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Heh, timely that this came up, as Zherdev wasn't in the picture when I started this conversation. Now...

Oh, Dryden, don't be a hater! :laugh: As Nick points out, depending on how his ratings are affected, he may not be a guy I *want* to come back this season... but then my chance to walk away was during prospect releases. I guess we'll see, and since I don't have a spot available in my roster at present, I'll decide who I want to move then.

Of course, people are welcome to look at my roster and make offers for wingers... if I see something outrageously good, they may just make up my mind for me. But it truly would have to be OUTRAGEOUS!!! :D

As noted, we can always drop a European player from our prospect list altogether, so if he is on your list, it means you basically are willing, no, hoping, he will return so you can honour the remainder of the deal. Once a year, you're given the chance to get out of it (like I will most assuredly do next year, with Nabokov).

Of course, the tough part is the rating he comes back with. Once they are out of the league for a spell, their rating takes a major hit. In the case of Zherdev, it is a hell of a salary to pay (as I recall), for what will most likely be a middling rating. I've already done the same with Emery, who barely had the rating of a 2nd tier back-up upon his return. Then, when he plays his way this year into a better rating for next year, you then have to negotiate a new deal with the Swingsteins.

That's my point - just as the player was allowed to walk out on his contract (while keeping it valid) to go to Europe, maybe the GM should be allowed to defer the player's return to the HFNHL for one year if they choose while the player re-establishes themselves in North America. That seems the only way to represent our lag time in ratings and give the team back a player at least approximately worth their vested contract. But that's probably just one additional level of administration. I guess this is one area where it's actually *harder* to be an HFNHL GM than an NHL GM. Meh, I'll survive.

Good to know not all the misery is mine on this issue in the Central. ;)

Well, there've been a lot of teams who've suffered by having key roster players walk out just before the season starts, so no, you're assuredly not alone in that regard. But I don't think we ever really examined the downside of the return scenario before, which is why I put this forward. But it's moot for me in this case: Zherdev was only away one year, his ratings should not be negatively affected in any meaningful way, so I'm sure I (or someone) will find a good use for his services.

As to his salary, he'd accepted his qualifying offer of $3,250,000 before fleeing to the KHL, so he has one year left at that figure. Expensive for a third liner, but reasonable value for a second liner with his offensive skills. And since the rumoured salary in Philly is 2 years @ $2,200,000, it should be fairly straightforward to re-sign him if his performance lives up to his potential. So I'm not hard done by in any event.

Which no doubt is why Dryden hates me. :P

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
And since the rumoured salary in Philly is 2 years @ $2,200,000, it should be fairly straightforward to re-sign him if his performance lives up to his potential. So I'm not hard done by in any event.

Which no doubt is why Dryden hates me. :P

Apparently the NHL Flyers contract is a one-year deal, not a two-year deal, so re-signing will become a little more complicated. Bah.

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
I might possibly be the only person you'll ever meet who was actually able to watch an XFL game. Now there's a claim to fame.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I took Nilsson at 15, and while Parise at 16 makes that pick look horrible, the picks right after Parise were busts:

Jessiman
O'Sullivan
Chernikh
Tambellini
Fritsche
Stuart
Stewart
Pouliot

(And then the studs started)
Carter
Seabrook
Kesler
Richards

So while I should have taken Parise in hindsight, the picks right after that were pretty much worse than Nilsson. But I've messed up enough drafts, Nilsson is just another fail. :)

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I took Nilsson at 15, and while Parise at 16 makes that pick look horrible, the picks right after Parise were busts:

Jessiman
O'Sullivan
Chernikh
Tambellini
Fritsche
Stuart
Stewart
Pouliot

Carter
Seabrook
Kesler
Richards

So while I should have taken Parise in hindsight, the picks right after that were pretty much worse than Nilsson. But I've messed up enough drafts, Nilsson is just another fail. :)

I got Staal earlier in the draft, and picked up a few good players that year overall, but I took Anthony Stewart as well, so I feel your pain. It came down to Stewart or Seabrook, and I went with the OHL guy out of regional loyalty I think. Obviously a big mistake. Getting Brooks Laich in the second makes up for Patrick Eaves not panning out as well.

You picked up Bergeron in that draft though. You did alright.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver

Jessiman
O'Sullivan
Chernikh
Tambellini
Fritsche
Stuart
Stewart
Pouliot

Carter
Seabrook
Kesler
Richards

Looking back I see the Oilers selected Dustin Brown 8th, who I traded last year for Ryan Suter who was picked 10th. Neat.

I also see the Oilers picked Corey Perry 38th...does anyone remember where he was traded and what it was for?

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Stop complaining.

(see Konstantin Glazachev at 14.) :cry:

p.s. It wasn't me that picked the guy who got stabbed by his girlfriend.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Looking back I see the Oilers selected Dustin Brown 8th, who I traded last year for Ryan Suter who was picked 10th. Neat.

I also see the Oilers picked Corey Perry 38th...does anyone remember where he was traded and what it was for?

Doug Weight, methinks?

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad