2010/2011 Retirements, Euro Bound Players List

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
That's because injury though not retirement.

Ya but it might aswell be called a retirement no team is going to sign him and with injury plagued every year since moving to toronto who really would want him the year after this. hell probably retire or flee

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
I guess here's another defenseman in a situation like Van Ryn.
Kim Johnsson's career is on hold and could be over.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/blogs/97864184.html

Said Curran: "He's still suffering symptoms of a concussion, and for the moment, he doesn't have any immediate plans to play.

"I've seen it alluded that he's going to retire, and I don't think that's necessarily the case for the moment. For the moment he's going to let the symptoms subside. He may very well retire eventually, but based on my conversation with him a week ago, it's been suggested that he just let his symptoms subside and then decide for himself. It's not going to be for quite awhile that there's a determination if he'll play.

"It's fair to say that he's got no intentions of looking to come back and play in the immediate future. So while at the moment he's not retiring, he's certainly not going to play in the immediate future and he may very well eventually be effectively retired."

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Unlike Van Ryn, though, Kim Johnsson played last year. I think we would need something much more definitive in the way of a retirement announcement to move Johnsson to the prospect list for the 2010-11 season.

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Unlike Van Ryn, though, Kim Johnsson played last year. I think we would need something much more definitive in the way of a retirement announcement to move Johnsson to the prospect list for the 2010-11 season.

Do we really need that? We didn't in the cases of Koivu and Forsberg. It was enough that the players didn't intend to play the upcomming year due to injuries and had no schedule of returning. Both had also played the year before they sat out.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
What was his last contract?

Was thinking about this, Matt. Might be a good idea going forward, that everytime a player head's to Europe, you note the HFNHL contract on the prospects page, similar to the draft position for drafted prospects.

So for example, you can add to my prospect list Evgeny Nabokov (1x$5.5M).

If a team is ever trading for a player's rights, this will also clearly indicated the obligation left, should the player return to the NHL. Also saves us a time going forward.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Was thinking about this, Matt. Might be a good idea going forward, that everytime a player head's to Europe, you note the HFNHL contract on the prospects page, similar to the draft position for drafted prospects.

So for example, you can add to my prospect list Evgeny Nabokov (1x$5.5M).

If a team is ever trading for a player's rights, this will also clearly indicated the obligation left, should the player return to the NHL. Also saves us a time going forward.

Genius my friend.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North

It's a good idea - but I for one am not comfortable with the idea of calling it an obligation on the part of the team. What if Nabokov comes back at age 40, after years of diminishing performances in Russia, and signs for $800k to be somebody's backup? Should St. Louis then be on the hook for him (at vastly reduced ratings) at the $5.5M amount? It seems to me that any remaining contract should represent a team option, and if the team declines to exercise that option the player becomes a UFA.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
It's a good idea - but I for one am not comfortable with the idea of calling it an obligation on the part of the team.

Right now it's not only an obligation but standard procedure. Any player that returns from Europe has his old contract (if there are still years left) re-instated. If you don't want that player to return with the massive contract then my advice is that you drop him as part of the prospect releases (in Nabakovs case as you describe above, when he's 39 ;))

Also I found LeNeveau's contract.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
It's a good idea - but I for one am not comfortable with the idea of calling it an obligation on the part of the team. What if Nabokov comes back at age 40, after years of diminishing performances in Russia, and signs for $800k to be somebody's backup? Should St. Louis then be on the hook for him (at vastly reduced ratings) at the $5.5M amount? It seems to me that any remaining contract should represent a team option, and if the team declines to exercise that option the player becomes a UFA.

As noted, we can always drop a European player from our prospect list altogether, so if he is on your list, it means you basically are willing, no, hoping, he will return so you can honour the remainder of the deal. Once a year, you're given the chance to get out of it (like I will most assuredly do next year, with Nabokov).

Of course, the tough part is the rating he comes back with. Once they are out of the league for a spell, their rating takes a major hit. In the case of Zherdev, it is a hell of a salary to pay (as I recall), for what will most likely be a middling rating. I've already done the same with Emery, who barely had the rating of a 2nd tier back-up upon his return. Then, when he plays his way this year into a better rating for next year, you then have to negotiate a new deal with the Swingsteins.

Good to know not all the misery is mine on this issue in the Central. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad