2008 Born for the 2024 OHL Draft

a8592

Apr 24, 2022
Same. Headrick impressed me as well. I can see him going round 2.

Same. Headrick impressed me as well. I can see him going round 2.
First time seeing Oakville in person yesterday and I was also impressed by Headrick.

Despite his 2 goals I was a bit underwhelmed by Belchetz. The physical tools and shot are obviously worthy of a high pick but he seemed to ignore or miss a lot of easy passes and only moved north-south. curious to see how he does next year against bigger, smarter competition

Bardown99

Jan 20, 2024
Your previous message seemed entirely personal and attacking. You called them entitled? What exactly makes them entitled in your opinion?

This isn't the first time either.
I see it all the time. A kid plays "up" a year then bails to play for an allstar team the following year, and for free this time!? How is that not entitled? Did we see Kipher bail on Huron this year, or Roobroeck bail on LJK last year when he could have played for free with JRC? Nope. And as for Ellis, true top goalies are not playing average teams when it matters and anytime we've seen the workload get a little too hot for him, its over, the job doesnt get done. So protecting a draft status by playing lesser teams is in fact entitled. I realize It can be difficult to see the forest through the tree's when it comes to a goalies future, hell any position to be honest, but most of the hype for the other positions is justified here, certainly not for those goalies in my honest opinion though.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
So if the top 3 go as expected, and Nyman is going out west, who would be the next best option for Niagara at 4 (assuming they commit to the team). Are there still elite players available?

Reactions: Section5Petes

digicamo

Mar 31, 2023
First time seeing Oakville in person yesterday and I was also impressed by Headrick.

Despite his 2 goals I was a bit underwhelmed by Belchetz. The physical tools and shot are obviously worthy of a high pick but he seemed to ignore or miss a lot of easy passes and only moved north-south. curious to see how he does next year against bigger, smarter competition
While I agree I think Belchetz had the opportunity to be more dominant this week, his game will transition well. Roobreck had similar criticism at the OHL Cup last year and you can see how well his game translated to the O this year.

JuniorHockeyInsider

Nov 22, 2008
While I agree I think Belchetz had the opportunity to be more dominant this week, his game will transition well. Roobreck had similar criticism at the OHL Cup last year and you can see how well his game translated to the O this year.
Yep. Belchetz’s game/physical abilities aare a safe bet to translate to next level. Even if he doesnt come close to his ceiling, he will be a solid player in the O.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
I see it all the time. A kid plays "up" a year then bails to play for an allstar team the following year, and for free this time!? How is that not entitled? Did we see Kipher bail on Huron this year, or Roobroeck bail on LJK last year when he could have played for free with JRC? Nope. And as for Ellis, true top goalies are not playing average teams when it matters and anytime we've seen the workload get a little too hot for him, its over, the job doesnt get done. So protecting a draft status by playing lesser teams is in fact entitled. I realize It can be difficult to see the forest through the tree's when it comes to a goalies future, hell any position to be honest, but most of the hype for the other positions is justified here, certainly not for those goalies in my honest opinion though.
I never feel like it's fair to judge a kid for leaving to go to another program. We have no idea what's actually going on. Maybe there was a reason why he left that none of us know about. Also one of the top picks in this year's draft Adam Valentini went from the Mississauga Senators to the Toronto Marlies and yet I don't see you criticizing him for it (and you shouldn't be BTW). If you don't like what you've seen from the player that's fine but leave it at that. There is no need to attack 15 year old kids. People on here express their opinions, you don't have to agree with them. There's no need to harp on it when you don't agree

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Gabriel Schmidt (72) on the Oakville rangers, is that Roman’s brother? The guy is 6’2 so he’s got some height too and I believe Roman Schmidt wore 72 at some point

Reactions: flamebird

JuniorHockeyInsider

Nov 22, 2008
Gabriel Schmidt (72) on the Oakville rangers, is that Roman’s brother? The guy is 6’2 so he’s got some height too and I believe Roman Schmidt wore 72 at some point
Yes. They are brothers

Brady Smith on North York. Top 5?

Anyone got a mock draft yet? Would love to see people in the 5-10 range
Arguably the best goal scorer in the loop.

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
Yep. Belchetz’s game/physical abilities aare a safe bet to translate to next level. Even if he doesnt come close to his ceiling, he will be a solid player in the O.
When / who was the last big body forward taken 1st overall that fulfilled the promise of his draft position?

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
When / who was the last big body forward taken 1st overall that fulfilled the promise of his draft position?
Ist overall will always go to the player deemed the best prospect (who will report). Kids 6'5" are a relatively rare breed to begin with in midget hockey let alone be a top prospect.
To answer your question, maybe Lindros. Ekblad a D-man.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Ist overall will always go to the player deemed the best prospect (who will report). Kids 6'5" are a relatively rare breed to begin with in midget hockey let alone be a top prospect.

The most recent one that comes close is Byfield at 6'4 207, but even he's relatively small in comparison, and he's bigger than Ekblad was listed at (6'3 200).

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

What about Charlie Stephens?…. Ummmm. Nevermind.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
What is belchetz style like? 200 foot? Sniper? Playmaker?

Last guy the fronts had that was big like that from the draft that was successful would be Lawson crouse but he was more of a 2 way guy.

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
I actually agree with your analysis of the goalies... How others interpret your wording is up to them...

Unless you know them personally, I'm going to assume the entitlement part was an observation from being around the ETA.

Both Ellsworth & Beites didn't show well when it came to crunch time. Don't think either will go in Round 1 or 2 either way IMO.

Bardown99

Jan 20, 2024
I actually agree with your analysis of the goalies... How others interpret your wording is up to them...

Unless you know them personally, I'm going to assume the entitlement part was an observation from being around the ETA.

Both Ellsworth & Beites didn't show well when it came to crunch time. Don't think either will go in Round 1 or 2 either way IMO.
Thank you. The wording "entitled" is probably a bit harsh looking back, so I apologize to those families for that. But I was more interested in why others put those 2 goalies so high when their body of work wasn't anything outstanding at all. Consitancy is critical, and it doesn't matter if you're a U16 starter, a back-up or even if you're 5'9 or 6'2 tall. Unfortunately there are very few, if any 2008 goalies who are consistant enough in body control or mentally stable to be drafted as high as the first 2 rounds this year imo.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad