3. PBO - Valentini
4. NIA - Wassilyn
5. BAR - Amidovski
6. FLT - Brady Smith (NYR)
7. OS - Fitzgerald
8. KGN - McLean
9. GUE - Vaughan
10. ER - Mbuyi

HM: Cole Zurawski, can see him going inside the top 10.

Excluded: All players with USHL/BCHL tenders -- Croskery, Nyman, Hage, Malhotra, Kwajah, Bray, B. Edwards

Last edited:

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
I'll go for it

1. WSR -- Belchetz
2. SAR -- Di Iorio
3. PBO - Valentini
4. NIA - Wassilyn
5. BAR - Amidovski
7. OS - Fitzgerald
8. KGN - McLean
9. GUE - Vaughan
10. ER - Mbuyi
Can someone mock the 1st round? Wanna see who’s in the Knights ballpark

Dog Fan

Apr 22, 2017
I'll go for it

1. WSR -- Belchetz
2. SAR -- Di Iorio
3. PBO - Valentini
4. NIA - Wassilyn
5. BAR - Amidovski
7. OS - Fitzgerald
8. KGN - McLean
9. GUE - Vaughan
10. ER - Mbuyi

Excluded: All players with USHL/BCHL tenders -- Croskery, Nyman, Hage, Malhotra, Kwajah, Bray, B. Edwards
Had a conversation with a scout about a month ago that made a comment regarding Wassilyn saying there may be a discipline problem. I haven't seen a report, it was a comment made when discussing who the Icedogs may pick in the first round. Take it for what it is.

Reactions: arhockey

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I'll go for it

1. WSR -- Belchetz
2. SAR -- Di Iorio
3. PBO - Valentini
4. NIA - Wassilyn
5. BAR - Amidovski
7. OS - Fitzgerald
8. KGN - McLean
9. GUE - Vaughan
10. ER - Mbuyi

Thanks for the mock that’s great!

HolyRoller

Feb 1, 2010
Headrick (OAK) has really impressed me at the OHL Cup. I watched a couple Oakville games and see that he had 2 goals in the semi...11 pts in the tournament. His tenacity is awesome to watch! I wonder how much his size impacts his draft. I love seeing a smaller kid with that type of compete...plays with no fear and punches above his weight.

Another kid on the small side, Mbarushimana (UCC) was also exciting to watch.
Think Brayden Point.

• Wow
Reactions: flamebird

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
Can someone mock the 1st round? Wanna see who’s in the Knights ballpark
11. OTT - Zurawski
12. SBY - Hage*** (Not officially committed)
13. MIS - Malholtra*** (Not officially committed)
14. BFD - Hawery
15. KIT - Xu
16. NB - Zhilkin
17. OSH - Cameron
18. SOO - D'Alessio
19. SAG - Carey
20. LDN - Challenger
21. OTT* - Cali

Made some mistakes due to that Toronto Star article. Hage/Malholtra still eligible until officially committed.

#9 -- Guelph takes Malholtra over P. Vaughan. Dad was drafted there. To keep it simple, P. Vaughan goes to Mississauga instead.

#12 Hage. Article mistake. Could swing for the brother of Michael (rights owned). Both end up going to Sudbury.

Other tidbits:

Hawery compliments the Jake O'Brien pick from last year. Dominant 1-2 punch for years.

Kitchener/SOO take the first 2 defenseman in the draft.

No goalies taken like the last. Opposite of the last 2 drafts.

JuniorHockeyInsider

Nov 22, 2008
Curious to see how far guys like Nyman, Croskery, Edwards, Hage etc will drop with their intentions to play elsewhere. Seems like Malhotra is leaning leaving the province too

HkyBeegs3

Mar 18, 2009
Sarnia
New commissioner really needs to find ways to change this within the league and the teams. Can't have this much high end talent leaving the league each year...
I agree completely, but the question is how? The American schools and programs are just as good now and in most cases better. How do they make the league more enticing to these young talented players that are considering the American route? Better facilities, better coaching? Use to be the smaller kids would go south because of the "less physical" brand of hockey but now that's just not the case. I think alot of the issues start at the hockey canada level and progress from there.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
New commissioner really needs to find ways to change this within the league and the teams. Can't have this much high end talent leaving the league each year...

CIS hockey isn’t sexy. NCAA hockey has more prestige. There is a little more flexibility for the top prospects. They can play on a really strong league that is geared towards 16 and 17 year olds as opposed to 18 and 19 year olds(BCHL, USHL, USNTDP).

For the top prospects like discussed here, it isn’t about their four or five year development path on one decision. It is about their one or two year development path so they choose a league they can play where they develop and remain competitive. After that year or two in programs that are better suited to their age, they can then graduate to NCAA (or CHL if that’s the best spot for them) when they are a more mature player and better prepared physically to handle the challenge. If they are strong enough, they are at the NCAA level for one year and then turn Pro.

For the true top prospects or the “can’t miss” guys, why would the CIS education package even be a serious consideration? A kid like Malhotra has a father that will pay his tuition if things don’t work out. Many of these kids have parents that would have zero issues paying tuition at a Canadian School. That whole compensation package isn’t worth a lot to most of these kids.

So, with a CIS package compensation not being a consideration, the decision is reduced to a two year decision prior to the NCAA acceptance. Where is the best place for that player to play for the next year or two? THAT is the decision being made. If they choose the CHL, they are making a 4 year commitment. Some don’t want a four year commitment.

Reactions: JuniorHockeyInsider

dsanchez1973

Mar 14, 2022

good luck with that. Speaking frankly, NCAA is so much better a path for 99% of these kids both hockeywise and lifewise that it's not even funny.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Not sure that's true. 99% of these kids are not college material academically. Maybe more like 50%.

There aren’t nearly enough full ride scholarships anyway. The NCAA route is not as open as many think. There are only so many full ride scholarships to Div 1 schools. I’m not sure how motivated Div 2 schools are to offer scholarships to Canadian kids.

The reality is, USA hockey is getting much more competitive every year. Opportunities for Canadians are getting less annually.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I’m expecting Kitchener to take a flyer. Have taken one with in the first 3 rounds 7 years in a row.
You took a couple last year in Matheas Stark and Tanner Lam.

Then another couple in 2022 in Michael Hage who didn’t report and Cole Longacre who didn’t show.

Carson Rehkopf was a flyer also, he would have went top 5 if he was leaning OHL.

Rangers are no strangers to taking flyers, they’re just good at recruiting them.

JuniorHockeyInsider

Nov 22, 2008
There aren’t nearly enough full ride scholarships anyway. The NCAA route is not as open as many think. There are only so many full ride scholarships to Div 1 schools. I’m not sure how motivated Div 2 schools are to offer scholarships to Canadian kids.

The reality is, USA hockey is getting much more competitive every year. Opportunities for Canadians are getting less annually.
This is true. But if a top talent in Ontario want to go D1, they will be offered a scholasrship.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad