2008 Born for the 2024 OHL Draft

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
i find it to be an easy cop out, like those guys you see at the bar saying they would be in the nhl if it wasnt for some bantam coach who made him sit on the bench.

other kids with less opportunities than anyone who can play aaa now have made it to high levels, even with the barriors. so if they can overcome and thrive, why cant your son? if they made it, then 15 picks in a 300 person draft should have no barring. its a cop out. if you son needed those 15 picks gone to be drafted, then he's still a 15th round pick, and 15 round picks could be any one of a 100 kids in the draft.

I would tell my kid just to have fun and see what happens, and if he got passed over i would tell him not to stress, its about the game, but i also would get that at that point, its so random what who knows who will be drafted and not. if you didnt get drafted, odds are you didnt do enough to seperate yourself from the group. doesnt mean it will be the case next year, the draft comes sometimes when kids are not ready, but lets be honest, if your not a top 10 round player, theres a 50/50 shot that your not gonna be drafted either way.

i saw a dad complaining about it online, his kid was probably in that 50/50 group, on my list he was a late pick, but 25/30 kids above him on my list didnt get drafted either. thats just how it is after the 10th, lists are all over the place.

you can be bitter, but being better does alot more for you.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
its a 15 person draft, those favours and neoptisim are hidden, they are the 15th person drafted. they do not make the team.

Nepotism/favouritism runs MUCH deeper than that, my friend.

Wasting a late draft pick on a friend’s kid knowing he’ll never have a hope in hell of making the team would be the equivalent of wasting a 15min job interview on a friend’s kid knowing he’ll never have a hope in hell of being hired. In other words, it’s only the tip of the nepotism/favouritism iceberg.

It happened to Tommy Brady - - the greatest QB in football history - - so you know it’ll happen to anyone. Look at the dumpster fire that the Niagara franchise turned into. Look at the laughable gong show of the Trump family.

Reactions: Puckluk

dsanchez1973

Mar 14, 2022
amazing that teams draft and develop out of the 10-15th rounds….

mmm I suspect more like "get lucky and hit on a random shot in the 10th-15th round". Reminds me of the Red Wings dynasty where they were praised for their development model and forgot that hey they happened to draft a top 5 all time Defenseman 53rd overall and a multi time selke winner who brought offense 171st overall.

Hitting on late round picks is a huge boost towards winning; let's just not go overboard and say it's the development process. Most of the time, it's just luck.

Reactions: OMG67

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
mmm I suspect more like "get lucky and hit on a random shot in the 10th-15th round". Reminds me of the Red Wings dynasty where they were praised for their development model and forgot that hey they happened to draft a top 5 all time Defenseman 53rd overall and a multi time selke winner who brought offense 171st overall.

Hitting on late round picks is a huge boost towards winning; let's just not go overboard and say it's the development process. Most of the time, it's just luck.
Can only get lucky if you're drafting real players, and not family favors.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

either way, they are making educated guesses, not 5/6 favour pics every year like others want (more like need) to believe

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
There are four types of picks between 10th-15th rounds:

1> Favour pick as appreciation for varying levels of support/friendship
2> Flyer picks on NCAA committed players
3> Local kids that you want to fill your training camp roster with easy access
4> Honest draft picks “next on list.”

Most teams, over the course of two drafts, will touch on all of those four options. Sometimes even the “favour” picks turn out.

Ottawa drafted Dan Tudin (1995 - 16th round) because Kilrea had respect for his grandfather Connie Tudin. Dan went on to play four seasons in Ottawa, played four seasons and graduated from Dalhousie, kicked around the ECHL for three years and capped off his career with 15 season playing for Ritten in the Italian/Alps league through 2021.

Dan Tudin is the best example I can think of as a poster boy for OHL hockey. A 16th round pick that busted his ass, played four years, two of which were as a top 6 player, won a Memorial Cup, Graduated with a four year degree paid for by the OHL Scholarship program, settled in Italy and had a local legend status there after 15 years on the same team. If that isn’t a fine example of what the OHL is/should be for its prospects, I don’t know what is. AND, he was a really good kid and I imagine he is a really respectful adult now too.

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
If the kids are as good as the parents say they are wouldn’t you almost prefer going undrafted by that point? 15th round pick locked into 1 team vs a UDFA with multiple options. Unless of course it’s just because you want to tell your friends your son is an OHL draft pick. Probably equally as bad as the favour picks.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
If the kids are as good as the parents say they are wouldn’t you almost prefer going undrafted by that point? 15th round pick locked into 1 team vs a UDFA with multiple options. Unless of course it’s just because you want to tell your friends your son is an OHL draft pick. Probably equally as bad as the favour picks.
TBH, if they were that good, teams would not wait until the 15th round.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
My favourite work from the bottom up story in recent years is a guy who was a 12th round pick to the OHL, did not make the team that first year.

He did make it the following year and play the four full seasons following. He was good enough to be drafted in the last round of the NHL draft (I believe as a re-entry) and after his OHL career ended got to start at the bottom again with two years spent mostly in the ECHL.

Midway through that second year he earned the promotion to the AHL (won the Calder Cup) and the following year stuck there the full season.

The next season (20-21) he cracked the NHL and hasn't been back in the AHL since... though he has certainly been in and out of the lineup at times, his last 230 games (plus 16 playoff games) have all been in the show.

Steve Lorentz

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
In the 1990 OHL Draft the Sudbury Wolves drafted Rod Hinks in the 22nd round 292 overall. He went on to play four seasons in the OHL with both Sudbury and Owen Sound scoring 130 goals and 145 assists for 275 points in 242 games including two back to back 100 plus point seasons.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
In the 1990 OHL Draft the Sudbury Wolves drafted Rod Hinks in the 22nd round 292 overall. He went on to play four seasons in the OHL with both Sudbury and Owen Sound scoring 130 goals and 145 assists for 275 points in 242 games including two back to back 100 plus point seasons.
Interesting fact. 22 rnd? Maybe I am not reading this right.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
In that era the draft was not limited to 15 rounds. The draft continued until a team stopped drafting players. Most stopped after 15 rounds but a few continued. In those days a team could only draft two 16 years old players in rounds 1 through 3. The majority of the players drafted were 17.

Reactions: bobber

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Maybe the OHL should go back to that method so that all the favour picks can be drafted then?!

"And in the 29th round the Peterbrough Petes are proud to select, Jimmy Rogers. Jimmy had a great season in the south-end road hockey league, tallying 63 goals and 42 assists this year. His grandmother, Betty, sells 50/50 tickets at Petes' home games. Fans should swing by the booth at Thursday night's game to buy their 50/50 tickets and congratulate Betty. "

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I thought under agers had to be selected in first two rounds. But maybe it was teams could select two under agers in the first three rounds, and teams generally made sure they had their two in two rounds.

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I also thought it was first two rounds? Or maybe prior to first two rounds it was first three rounds?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Years ago, the draft went as long as teams were willing to pick. Teams would bow out in the late rounds. But other teams would pick right up until they were finished. You’d you have rounds 21, 22, 23, etc and by then only one or two teams involved by that point.

For example, in 1987, the Rangers took Gilbert Dionne in the 19th round (only 8 of 15 OHL teams took part in that round), and Randy Pearce in the 20th round (only 6 teams took part in that round). That year there were 22 rounds in the draft.

Both were high end Rangers and big parts of their Memorial Cup run in 1990.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I thought under agers had to be selected in first two rounds. But maybe it was teams could select two under agers in the first three rounds, and teams generally made sure they had their two in two rounds.
The Petes had a mixture. In the 1980s and 1990s they only drafted an underage player eight times in the 1st round the other twelve they drafted a 17 year old. The only underages they drafted in the 1st round that became an impact player were Steve Yzerman, Jody Hull, Dave Roche and Scott Barney. They drafted numerous impact underagers in the 2nd round including Luke Richardson, Mike Ricci, Jason Dawe, Brent Tully and Jason Williams. They also had success drafting underagers in the 3rd round including Bruce Shoebottom, Kay Whitmore, Chad Lang and Cameron Mann.
I also thought it was first two rounds? Or maybe prior to first two rounds it was first three rounds?
Until the mid 1980s it was the first four rounds and teams were allowed to draft three underage players in those rounds until 1988 when it changed to two 16 year olds in the first three rounds. Sometime in the mid to late 1990s it was changed again to allow underages to be drafted again in the first four rounds in 2000 the OHL switched to the 16 year old draft. I preferred it went there was only two or three 16 year olds were drafted and most of the players were 17. I think when a player was 17 there was a better indication of their ability and what there plans were for their hockey future. Also the time period was shorter between when they were drafted and training camp and less of chance for US College teams to try and convince them to go that route.

Last edited:

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
I recall there being a bantam draft when the Otters first entered the league. When did that end?

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I recall there being a bantam draft when the Otters first entered the league. When did that end?
When they switched to a 16 year old draft starting in 2000 the year before in 1999 they had a separate draft in 1999 in which the bantam aged players who were not taken in the regular draft were taken in the extra draft.

Reactions: ZinErie

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Maybe the OHL should go back to that method so that all the favour picks can be drafted then?!

"And in the 29th round the Peterbrough Petes are proud to select, Jimmy Rogers. Jimmy had a great season in the south-end road hockey league, tallying 63 goals and 42 assists this year. His grandmother, Betty, sells 50/50 tickets at Petes' home games. Fans should swing by the booth at Thursday night's game to buy their 50/50 tickets and congratulate Betty. "
Jimmy is a good kid and a hell of a road hockey player, he lives a few doors down. I’ve never seen someone move a net as quick as him when a car turned onto the street. Petes got a good one here imo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad