2008 Born for the 2024 OHL Draft

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
big I would suggest that those parents probably push to get thier kids jobs and call in favours to get better opportunities for their kids in the business world. why are they onto do that there, but feel that 15/20 parents doing the same thing here are offside?

You are missing the point. I am saying a lot seems to be directed at this parent for raising an issue that is a reasonable issue, warranted or not. Grouping this particular parent in with some that are oblivious to the situation isn’t fair. This particular parent was respectful and thankful that this thread/forum was here to help fill in some of the gaps in the process that were previously misunderstood. Although no one was overly disrespectful to this particular parent, there seemed to be some eye rolling type of language directed that way. I don’t think it is fair in this situation.

I understand you and some others that are a lot more close to these types of situations go through this all the time but this is likely the first time for this parent so it is all new to them. An eye opener for sure. I can at least say this particular parent came across as disappointed in the results but was respectful and thankful to get some additional insight. I think we should embrace the tact with which this particular parent approached the situation and use this as a positive way to go about it.

Affording additional recommendations for how the players and parents should proceed going forward would probably be appreciated. I know you already did that, but just saying it more so to the group.

Puckluk

Apr 14, 2024
You are missing the point. I am saying a lot seems to be directed at this parent for raising an issue that is a reasonable issue, warranted or not. Grouping this particular parent in with some that are oblivious to the situation isn’t fair. This particular parent was respectful and thankful that this thread/forum was here to help fill in some of the gaps in the process that were previously misunderstood. Although no one was overly disrespectful to this particular parent, there seemed to be some eye rolling type of language directed that way. I don’t think it is fair in this situation.

I understand you and some others that are a lot more close to these types of situations go through this all the time but this is likely the first time for this parent so it is all new to them. An eye opener for sure. I can at least say this particular parent came across as disappointed in the results but was respectful and thankful to get some additional insight. I think we should embrace the tact with which this particular parent approached the situation and use this as a positive way to go about it.

Affording additional recommendations for how the players and parents should proceed going forward would probably be appreciated. I know you already did that, but just saying it more so to the group.

Last edited:

Puckluk

Apr 14, 2024
I appreciate your understanding and advocacy. I truly am learning and in no way delusional to my players abilities. This was a very eye opening experience and very far from the the picture portrayed leading up to this point. I can only assume those closely involved become detached from the fact these are human beings and not just a business transaction. I suppose I was hoping this experience was different from the group who calls in the favour's at work because that obviously isn't us or our player would be drafted.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Does anyone have a complete list of players who had a commitment, and which team ended up drafting them? Here is an incomplete(?) list

Rudolfs Berzkalns - BK Selects - Muskegon - import eligible
Tynan Lawrence - Shattuck - Muskegon - undrafted to the OHL
Beckham Edwards - Little Caesars - Youngstown - drafted by Sarnia, 46th overall
Jack Hextall - Chicago Mission - Youngstown - drafted by Kitchener, 257th overall
Nikita Klepov - WB/Scranton Knights - Sioux City - import eligible
Cole Bumgarner - Minnesota Lakers - Fargo - whl
Jet Kwajah - Toronto Jr. Canadiens - Madison - drafted by Owen Sound, 104th overall
Callum Croskery - Oakville Rangers - Chicago - drafted by the Soo, 40th overall
Thomas Vandenberg - Ottawa Myers - Cedar Rapids - drafted by Ottawa, 93rd overall
Ilya Morozov - Windy City Storm - Tri-City - import eligible
Colin Fitzgerald - Peterborough Petes - Green Bay - drafted by Peterborough, 3rd overall

Last edited:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

I don’t disagree, I’m simply pointing out there’s a level of hypocrisy here. most business professionals do the same thing for their kids without batting an eye. why is it ok when it suits them but not when it doesn’t?

Reactions: ohloutsider

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I appreciate your understanding and advocacy. I truly am learning and in no way delusional to my players abilities. This was a very eye opening experience and very far from the the picture portrayed leading up to this point. I can only assume those closely involved become detached from the fact these are human beings and not just a business transaction. I suppose I was hoping this experience was different from the group who calls in the favour's at work because that obviously isn't us or our player would be drafted.

Unfortunately, once you get to Major Junior, it is a business first. Franchises are worth $20+mil and there is a lot of money at stake with very little margins out there for many of the franchises. These sorts of back scratch deals help keep the league afloat through relationships built over many years/decades.

Politics enters the fray at a young age in competitive youth hockey but it goes to a completely different level when you get to Major Junior.

I know you are looking more for an endorsement or validation for the hard work and in a perfect system, maybe it would come via a draft pick but the reality is, it is not about who you know, it is about who knows you.

The best players will play at the next level. They will be unearthed whether it be now or later (after more maturity). It’s tough because these programs still cost a lot of money and getting drafted and affiliated may reduce some of that financial burden.

I don’t disagree, I’m simply pointing out there’s a level of hypocrisy here. most business professionals do the same thing for their kids without batting an eye. why is it ok when it suits them but not when it doesn’t?

I think the age group is the difference. You typically aren’t going to bat for someone at age 15 in the business world. We’d all like to think hat when it comes to kids, it is a more even playing field based on competency/skill when it comes to sport. At least we all hope that. Although it isn’t the case, it doesn’t make it less frustrating for those caught in the middle of it.

Reactions: Puckluk

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Does anyone have a complete list of players who had a commitment, and which team ended up drafting them? Here is an incomplete(?) list

Rudolfs Berzkalns - BK Selects - Muskegon - undrafted to the OHL
Tynan Lawrence - Shattuck - Muskegon - undrafted to the OHL
Beckham Edwards - Little Caesars - Youngstown - drafted by Sarnia, 46th overall
Jack Hextall - Chicago Mission - Youngstown - drafted by Kitchener, 257th overall
Nikita Klepov - WB/Scranton Knights - Sioux City - undrafted to the OHL
Cole Bumgarner - Minnesota Lakers - Fargo - undrafted to the OHL
Jet Kwajah - Toronto Jr. Canadiens - Madison - drafted by Owen Sound, 104th overall
Callum Croskery - Oakville Rangers - Chicago - drafted by the Soo, 40th overall
Thomas Vandenberg - Ottawa Myers - Cedar Rapids - drafted by Ottawa, 93rd overall
Ilya Morozov - Windy City Storm - Tri-City - undrafted to the OHL
Colin Fitzgerald - Peterborough Petes - Green Bay - drafted by Peterborough, 3rd overall
Berzkalns, Morozov, Klepov are Import draft eligible, Bumgarner is WHL property

Reactions: HockeyPops

FrankieC

Dec 29, 2023
The point seems to be purposely missed to confirm certain posters bias which is that no unworthy kids are missed. Which is clearly non factual. Nothing from this parent's posts indicate they had unrealistic expectations towards their kid and if one believes this is an example of a toxic parent then you haven't been around minor hockey much.

What the parent is reacting to isn't new. Maybe 2024 was a tad more egregious, highlighted by the drafting of basically the entire North York Rangers team and starting with #113 many of those picks were dubious. Moreover, pick #271 is seen as a further sign of a non merit pick. Happens. 2022 draft was similar.

Saying to a parent, 'hey if your kid was good he'd have been picked' or 'don't worry there's always another draft' isn't really addressing the point. Hockey is a sport where OPPORTUNITY matters greatly and not getting drafted means one less opportunity.

Often this happens long before the O draft for many kids.Hence why being on the top team at an early age to get the better development & profile or being on the PP matters so much. You can quickly get cast aside in this game. Why do you think there's so many parent coaches? Thus, if you limit the opportunities for one kid and excess the opportunities for another kid, then you don't have a merit based program. This year's draft is full of kids who had the opportunities tilted their way since squirt/atom and got drafted solely due to $/connections.

And it's appropriate for a parent to say that this draft isn't fully based on merit. Cause it is not and never has been. A good parent and kid will recognize this, take some time to re evaluate and then get back on the horse to continue working towards their goal.

Last edited:

FrankieC

Dec 29, 2023
What gives you the impression it's ok in the non hockey world? Have you missed the movement to create more opportunities in the academic or business world?

It's the opposite of hypocrisy. It's calling for consistency and merit based opportunities in all facets of life.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Didn't really want to start a new thread. Some interesting changes in the wind out west.

there were rumours that the jr b loop in ontario was either joining the bchl or going on their own, but i think thats been avoided for the time being.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
there were rumours that the jr b loop in ontario was either joining the bchl or going on their own, but i think thats been avoided for the time being.
In your opinion, how much trouble is Hockey Canada in? With a lot of the scandals surrounding HC as well as a handful of the leagues for the older players seemingly wanting to operate with less restrictions, how will HC need to make changes to reinvent itself in light of all the hits it seems to be taking now?

Reactions: Section5Petes

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
In your opinion, how much trouble is Hockey Canada in? With a lot of the scandals surrounding HC as well as a handful of the leagues for the older players seemingly wanting to operate with less restrictions, how will HC need to make changes to reinvent itself in light of all the hits it seems to be taking now?
its all about money, the public makes noise about this and that, but everywhere its about self interest and making more money. i think the local jr b look negotiated better fees and more 16 year old cards to stay.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
its all about money, the public makes noise about this and that, but everywhere its about self interest and making more money. i think the local jr b look negotiated better fees and more 16 year old cards to stay.
Ah, so likely using the BCHL as leverage for a better deal.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Ah, so likely using the BCHL as leverage for a better deal.
im not sure with them, i think they make way more money now and have more freedom to poach better players. they would come back if they could keep doing that. they were not allowed to sign 16 year olds from ontario while a part of hockey canada, so its to their benefit.

if the ncaa and chl get together, that will be a disaster for the bchl and their current business model.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
i think the local jr b look negotiated better fees and more 16 year old cards to stay.
When you say fees, do you mean player development fees? Or otherwise?

Right now it's a sham how the OJ can poach players year after year from the GOJ for a paltry $1000 development fee.

The quality of hockey in the GOJ is very comparable to the OJ and better than other Jr A leagues in Ontario (NOJHL, SIJHL etc.) Leamington proved as much this year as a rookie entry into the league.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
When you say fees, do you mean player development fees? Or otherwise?

Right now it's a sham how the OJ can poach players year after year from the GOJ for a paltry $1000 development fee.

The quality of hockey in the GOJ is very comparable to the OJ and better than other Jr A leagues in Ontario (NOJHL, SIJHL etc.) Leamington proved as much this year as a rookie entry into the league.
problem is the goj never really gets d1 commits. oj doesn't really ether but they get way more then the jr b loop does.

the jr b loop is amazing for the ohl and vise versa, so going outlaw is not the best idea for them.

hockey canda charges a ton of fees for various registratinos,etc, those all now go to the bchl head office if at all. i dont know all about it but im told that the bchl teams are keeping a ton of $$ in house now.

i think hockey canada needs to be way more flexable to leagues and what they need

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
problem is the goj never really gets d1 commits. oj doesn't really ether but they get way more then the jr b loop does.

the jr b loop is amazing for the ohl and vise versa, so going outlaw is not the best idea for them.
Yes, therein lies the problem.

The GOJHL has essentially turned into the OHLs development program. I'd say on average the GOJ must be a younger league than the OJ.

I don't know what they can do to change the problem, but something has to be done.

Ideally you make a "super" league by combining the top tier OJ franchises with the best GOJ franchises.% and trim the fat. Too many duds in either league to truly be the "league of choice". Unfortunately, I don't see it ever happening.

So many well supported, well run GOJ franchises. It's a shame.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Yes, therein lies the problem.

The GOJHL has essentially turned into the OHLs development program. I'd say on average the GOJ must be a younger league than the OJ.

I don't know what they can do to change the problem, but something has to be done.

Ideally you make a "super" league by combining the top tier OJ franchises with the best GOJ franchises.% and trim the fat. Too many duds in either league to truly be the "league of choice". Unfortunately, I don't see it ever happening.

So many well supported, well run GOJ franchises. It's a shame.
agree, the goj is perfect for what it is, im know part of their issue is that fee. they also want more 16 year olds, which i think will come.

Reactions: Isaac Nootin

Donnie740

May 28, 2021

Agree 100% that nepotism and the buddy system happens all the time in the business was world.

The difference is that it’s MUCH easier to hide an incompetent hack who’s clearly out of their depth when it’s a 1,000 person company compared to an 18 man team.

If you think nepotism and favouritism are bad at this level, I can tell you that it’s even WORSE at the professional level. And not just in hockey - - it’s like that across all sports.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Agree 100% that nepotism and the buddy system happens all the time in the business was world.

The difference is that it’s MUCH easier to hide an incompetent hack who’s clearly out of their depth when it’s a 1,000 person company compared to an 18 man team.

If you think nepotism and favouritism are bad at this level, I can tell you that it’s even WORSE at the professional level. And not just in hockey - - it’s like that across all sports.
All you really need to know regarding nepotism is the apple does not fall far from the tree. It’s pretty much law. There has been and always will be nepotism for good reason.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

its a 15 person draft, those favours and neoptisim are hidden, they are the 15th person drafted. they do not make the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad