2008 Born for the 2024 OHL Draft

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I think he will play for his hometown Peterborough Petes. He is not obligated to play in the USHL. I am sure Mike Oke Dudu his homework before drafting him.
They were left scrambling in the last minute from what I heard, they made the best bet they could in going for the high end kid from their area.

Worse comes to worse, they get a comp #5 next year and trade Fitzgerald for a bunch of compensatory picks.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
I think he will play for his hometown Peterborough Petes. He is not obligated to play in the USHL. I am sure Mike Oke Dudu his homework before drafting him.

Of course he will. Especially since it’s his hometown team. And just like Malhotra’s father, Fitzgerald’s father played in the OHL too. They’ll both understand the value of playing in the OHL instead of the NCAA.

Reactions: Section5Petes

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
I will be watching this weekend with my son...eagerly awaiting his draft fate. Not the end of his career should he not be chosen...but it certainly would a be nice recognition of the countless hours/months/years of hard work and sacrifice he's put in.

My son has competed against many of these guys over the last 6-7 years and it's been fun to watch them all grow and develop. It's the end of an era where we move on to the next phase...parents and players alike.

All of these kids are awesome and I wish them and their families the best of luck.
Good luck!

Reactions: AAAdad

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
But would you chew off your left arm live on the Internet?

This is Beckett Sennecke we’re talking about here.

Speaking of which, the only downside to Sennecke playing so well in the playoffs is that his draft stock is rising.

As a Leafs fan, I’m hoping he’s somehow still available for them to pick around the #25 overall selection.

Ironically, Toronto is Sennecke’s favourite NHL team too.

All the Answers

Jan 19, 2020

Speaking of which, the only downside to Sennecke playing so well in the playoffs is that his draft stock is rising.

As a Leafs fan, I’m hoping he’s somehow still available for them to pick around the #25 overall selection.

Poor Sennecke

Reactions: Teflon

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

It is actually funny you say that. I was having a conversation with a friend of mine (we are both Leaf fans but he is insane Leafs fan). He was raving about Mews after he went to a 67’s game. I told him to forget about that and hope we get Senneke. He’s the guy I want. Totally the exact type of player they need. Hands down.

I still have BigE as my most impactful player on a ONE YEAR ANY YEAR team. My #1 pick. Absolute frickin’ beast.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
It is actually funny you say that. I was having a conversation with a friend of mine (we are both Leaf fans but he is insane Leafs fan). He was raving about Mews after he went to a 67’s game. I told him to forget about that and hope we get Senneke. He’s the guy I want. Totally the exact type of player they need. Hands down.

I still have BigE as my most impactful player on a ONE YEAR ANY YEAR team. My #1 pick. Absolute frickin’ beast.

I’ve seen a few mock drafts that have Toronto taking Mews and I agree with you 100% that would be a catastrophic mistake.

Drafting a soft defenseman who’s hopelessly undersized and not very good defensively is the kind of idiocy that I’d expect from the previous jackass GM, but I don’t see Treliving being that stupid.

Sennecke is going to be the biggest steal of the draft. He was underutilized for much of the year in Oshawa, but his game is definitely suited for the NHL.

Phenomenal skater - - there’s very few players in the draft would could match his skating ability. Excellent stick handling but sometimes he can do a bit too much of it. What I like most is that even though Sennecke is so highly skilled, he’s no afraid to get in on the forecheck and throw some hits. Still needs to fill out phycally, but at 6’3 he’s got the frame to easily carry another 30 to 40lbs.

As for Lindros, I’ve never seen a more dominating junior player. It was absolutely insane to see a 17yr old beat the living shit out of so many 19 and 20yr olds.

Last edited:
Reactions: wetcoast

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I’ve seen a few mock drafts that have Toronto taking Mews and I agree with you 100% that would be a catastrophic mistake.

Drafting a soft defenseman who’s hopelessly undersized and not very good defensively is the kind of idiocy that I’d expect from the previous jackass GM, but I don’t see Treliving being that stupid.

Sennecke is going to be the biggest steal of the draft. He was underutilized for much of the year in Oshawa, but his game is definitely suited for the NHL.

Phenomenal skater - - there’s very few players in the draft would could match his skating ability. Excellent stick handling but sometimes he can do a bit too much of it. What I like most is that even though Sennecke is so highly skilled, he’s no afraid to get in on the forecheck and throw some hits. Still needs to fill out phycally, but at 6’3 he’s got the frame to easily carry another 30 to 40lbs.

As for Lindros, I’ve never seen a more dominating junior player. It was absolutely insane to see a 17yr old beat the living shit out of so many 19 and 20yr olds.
Mews is 6’1” 185. He isn’t undersized. He just doesn’t play a big body type of game. He has 2-3 years to fill out. I imagine he will play at around 200-205 when he gets to the NHL.

His issue is he is maybe too one dimensional BUT he was a converted Forward so he is a little behind the development curve as a defensive D-Man.

I dont’ view him as a 1st round pick but I think as a prospect, he sits nicely in the top half of the 2nd round area. I think that is a more reasonable spot for him. He may touch the 1st round late. It would depend a lot on the type of player those teams may be looking for. As a righty puck mover with pretty solid offence, he fits that bill. I just don’t see him in a Leafs jersey. Let Montreal take him in round two!

I agree about Sennecke BUT, I think his playing weight should settle in at 210 max. As he gains weight, he loses the break away speed. He could pack on more but then he transitions to a power forward that needs to bull his way through a crowd and I am not sure that is the type of player he needs to be. At 6’3” 210, he will still be fleet of foot while being able to lean on a lot of players when necessary.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Mews is 6’1” 185. He isn’t undersized. He just doesn’t play a big body type of game. He has 2-3 years to fill out. I imagine he will play at around 200-205 when he gets to the NHL.

His issue is he is maybe too one dimensional BUT he was a converted Forward so he is a little behind the development curve as a defensive D-Man.

I dont’ view him as a 1st round pick but I think as a prospect, he sits nicely in the top half of the 2nd round area. I think that is a more reasonable spot for him. He may touch the 1st round late. It would depend a lot on the type of player those teams may be looking for. As a righty puck mover with pretty solid offence, he fits that bill. I just don’t see him in a Leafs jersey. Let Montreal take him in round two!

I agree about Sennecke BUT, I think his playing weight should settle in at 210 max. As he gains weight, he loses the break away speed. He could pack on more but then he transitions to a power forward that needs to bull his way through a crowd and I am not sure that is the type of player he needs to be. At 6’3” 210, he will still be fleet of foot while being able to lean on a lot of players when necessary.

Mews sure seems smaller than that, but it’s difficult to really tell until you’re standing next to him. Whereas with Sennecke, I know for sure he’s a legit 6’3 because I’m 6’2.

Usually players move from defense to forward, instead of the other way around. Mews is much more likely to make the NHL as a forward because I just don’t see him being effective enough defensively or physical enough to play the position at the pro level.

Similar to what Sebastian Aho did, although Mews has nowhere near the offensive ability that Aho has.

IMG_1369.jpeg

Reactions: Section5Petes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad