2008 Born for the 2024 OHL Draft

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
From the OHL media guide, here is the writeup for Jacob Xu:
SCOUTING REPORT: Jacob is a simple, yet very effective defender that
always seems to be in the right place at the right time. He is a smooth
skating versatile defenceman that makes a good first pass and plays within
his limits. The game seems very easy for him as he doesn’t try and complicate things on either side of the puck. He has very good puck skills and
can play in every situation. He is a very smart player that understands the
game well. He isn’t overly physical, but will take the body when needed
and is always on the right side of the puck defensively. Jacob’s game will
translate very well to the next level because of his size, skating ability and
hockey sense.
Does everyone agree with this? The reason I ask is that there have been multiple posts on this board about Xu being a very physical, big hitting D. Just wondering what the real scoop is?

AAAdad

Jan 29, 2024

Does everyone agree with this? The reason I ask is that there have been multiple posts on this board about Xu being a very physical, big hitting D. Just wondering what the real scoop is?
I can tell you for the couple of time my son's team has faced him and from other games I've watched, I would trust what has been written in the media guide more. I never saw the big hitting D in him...might be there?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

its more accurate then what was said on here at times. he may be a bit more aggressive then what they say, but hes not bryan marchment either.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
its more accurate then what was said on here at times. he may be a bit more aggressive then what they say, but hes not bryan marchment either.
I think a lot of these scouting reports highlite what they see in real time when viewing games. The hard part of the excersize is projections of what the prospect will offer to a franchise after a year or two of Major A. You read the reports and have to temper expectations when you see drafted players in main camps competing with vets. Some teams seem to find more solid draft picks that suit their system more than others. Better scouts maybe ? Not sure.

hockeyguy77

Apr 12, 2023
Points leaders for forwards in the GTHL above a point per game. Shorter list then expected.

Attachments

• GTHL Forwards - Sheet1.pdf
    52 KB · Views: 5

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I'd really just love confirmation that the Petes won't mess with Niagara and take Wasslyn
At this point no one knows who the Petes will draft in the 1st round. With several top prospects refusing to play in the OHL it has thrown the draft into disarray. If the Petes draft Braidy Wassilyn they are doing what is best for them. I highly doubt they are going to draft a player who won’t report but we don’t know for sure if he will only report to Niagara. If Peterborough knows he will report to them even if he would prefer to play for the Icedogs they may choose to draft him if they think he is the best player available when they make their selection. Teams cannot allow players to dictate where they will play.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
At this point no one knows who the Petes will draft in the 1st round. With several top prospects refusing to play in the OHL it has thrown the draft into disarray. If the Petes draft Braidy Wassilyn they are doing what is best for them. I highly doubt they are going to draft a player who won’t report but we don’t know for sure if he will only report to Niagara. If Peterborough knows he will report to them even if he would prefer to play for the Icedogs they may choose to draft him if they think he is the best player available when they make their selection. Teams cannot allow players to dictate where they will play.

Things will have come a long way in Niagara when there is a player that won’t report to the Petes and would only go to Niagara.

I’m wondering if we need to inject a little levity into the discussion now!

AAAdad

Jan 29, 2024
Tonight will be fun. I know many are worried about the status of our league. I am not. There will be a great group of talented young men join the OHL tonight!
I will be watching this weekend with my son...eagerly awaiting his draft fate. Not the end of his career should he not be chosen...but it certainly would a be nice recognition of the countless hours/months/years of hard work and sacrifice he's put in.

My son has competed against many of these guys over the last 6-7 years and it's been fun to watch them all grow and develop. It's the end of an era where we move on to the next phase...parents and players alike.

All of these kids are awesome and I wish them and their families the best of luck.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
My understanding with Braidy is that he has told teams it's Niagara or bust, but I could be wrong?
Things will have come a long way in Niagara when there is a player that won’t report to the Petes and would only go to Niagara.

I’m wondering if we need to inject a little levity into the discussion now!
There are some red flags with Niagara for sure - However - for a lot of players it is one of the better locations that families prefer. There's more to do in Niagara than most places. The arena is packed with incredibly supportive fans even when the team sucks.

However, Braidy is also probably looking at the core of Roobroeck, He, Czata, Frolov and Galiyanov and liking what he could add to it. (Obviousy the Petes have a good young core too.)

Reactions: frontsfan67

ArielNederland

Jun 21, 2021
CHL will have to address this. Ignoring it will make things worse. Wish the league would step up and do something about American leagues poaching players/ players signing tenders to get what team they want

Reactions: frontsfan67

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
The OHL has to come to some sort of decision on prospects refusing to report if teams draft them. Good on the players for having options. Nothing wrong with this. The issue is every year there are some of the same teams finishing at the bottom of the standings. These teams never improve. The lottery is set up so that these teams start to become more competitive. If the franchise isn't managed properly the parents of these said kids don't want them in that particular city. They let them know not to draft their son. Maybe the OHL should have some sort of document the players eligible sign coming up to the draft that states they can't come back into this league. They should do something to cover their ass if all the top players are going south. Otherwise this becomes glorified Jr. B.

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
BCHL just expanded for next season with the defection of 5 or 6 (I think 6) teams from the AJHL in Alberta. They formed an Alberta division within BCHL as I understand for the sole purpose of escaping the import restrictions of the AJHL so that they could recruit more players from out of Province. So there will be more competition for top Ontario talent in the future.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Tonight will be fun. I know many are worried about the status of our league. I am not. There will be a great group of talented young men join the OHL tonight!
No offence London but you guys get all the good players anyways- the ones that won’t report to other teams. You guys have nothing to worry about lol. It’s the smaller market teams that would be stressing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad