2000-2010 nostalgia thread

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Those teams weren't the greatest, but man did they work for their wins. They were underdogs every season (except 2007-2008 and 2008-2009). You just loved to root for them even if they weren't the greatest.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Huet was a damn good goalie for us. Rocked .930 in '05-'06 and saved the season. Was very good the following two years though he stunk against the Leafs in April '07 with a playoff spot on the line. Will never forgive Begin for that game.

Reactions: the and JoelWarlord

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
2000 was an injury ridden mess. The habs set the record for most injuries, but somehow were in the playoff race until the final game of the season. At least they made it a dramatic finish with a big winning streak down the stretch.

01-02 was a year that I won't forget. I haven't seen a team do more with less. Theodore was stealing games on a regular basis while koivu missed almost the entire year with cancer. Gilmour turned back the clock to a certain extent and helped fill some of the void. Then koivu comes back in the playoffs, they upset Boston, and Koivu leads the team in playoff points. It was awesome.

02-03 was a step back, and was probably more representative of where the team was. 01-02 was an overachieving team.

03-04 is when I felt the team made sort of a breakthrough. Ribeiro took a step, theodore rebounded after a tough year, and the habs showed their ambitions by trading for kovalev. Another fun year where the habs upset Boston in the first round. At this point, the habs seemed like a legit able playoff team for the foreseeable future rather than a team hoping to grasp the final playoff spot.

05-06, the main story was theodore imploding, and then being traded. The season was going downhill fast, and then Huet comes out of nowhere and pulled the team into the playoffs. It's too bad koivu got that eye injury when the habs were up 2-0 in the series. They just couldn't replace that loss.

06-07 was disappointing. Huet got hurt, and halak was still very young. Still they were in a good position to make the playoffs at the end of the year, but they lost their final game. It's too bad because they were set to play Buffalo, and it would have been a great series.

07-08 was the most fun team of the decade. Kovalev had one of his best seasons ever. The young guys looked good, and the PP was deadly. This team led the conference in the regular season.

08-09 was incredibly hyped because they added to the team that had so much success the year before. Unfortunately, it never materialized into anything, and it was the beginning of markov's injury woes.

09-10 was basically a brand new team as they gutted the previous core after a disappointing season. This was a fun Cinderella year, an it was our first glimpse of Subban. It turned out to be the deepest run since 1993 at the time.

Overall, it was a crazy decade with lots of ups and downs.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Huet was a damn good goalie for us. Rocked .930 in '05-'06 and saved the season. Was very good the following two years though he stunk against the Leafs in April '07 with a playoff spot on the line. Will never forgive Begin for that game.

It’s unfortunate Cristobal Huet got injured that season or else we would have made the playoffs. We lost so many games down that final stretch due to David Aebischer. A young Jaroslav Halak tried his best to keep our playoffs hope alive. I’m a huge Huet fan but in retrospect he was too rusty to play that final game against Toronto and we should have ran with Halak.

Michael Ryder with the hat-trick, we were up 5-3 at one point until Begin decided to smack a Leafs player with his stick to end the 2nd period. Freaking idiot,it went downhill from that moment.

Alexei Kovalev being completely invisible during that final game. This was the perfect game for him to steal the spotlight but he wasn’t even on the ice during the last minute of the 3rd period. I remember Jacques Demers ripping him after the game and the whole city wanted to get rid of him. It certainly made his comeback more epic the following season.

That final game was awful but I still laugh about how Leafs Nation was throwing a parade after that game just for them to witness Wade Dubielwicz rob them of their playoffs hope 24 hours later. :laugh:

Last edited:

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016

Some beauties by AK46, that guy had amazing talent. Always liked the Kostitsyn bros, don't care what people think. :laugh:

I always liked Andrei Kostitsyn, he is not the player we drafted at #10 in 2003, but pretty good top 6 forward. Great shot, great hands, very strong and great hitting ability too. The talent of a PPG player for sure.

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
It’s unfortunate Cristobal Huet got injured that season or else we would have made the playoffs. We lost so many games down that final stretch due to David Aebischer. A young Jaroslav Halak tried his best to keep our playoffs hope alive. I’m a huge Huet fan but in retrospect he was too rusty to play that final game against Toronto and we should have ran with Halak.

Michael Ryder with the hat-trick, we were up 5-3 at one point until Begin decided to smack a Leafs player with his stick to end the 2nd period. Freaking idiot,it went downhill from that moment.

Alexei Kovalev being completely invisible during that final game. This was the perfect game for him to steal the spotlight but he wasn’t even on the ice during the last minute of the 3rd period. I remember Jacques Demers ripping him after the game and the whole city wanted to get rid of him. It certainly made his comeback more epic the following season.

That final game was awful but I still laugh about how Leafs Nation was throwing a parade after that game just for them to witness Wade Dubielwicz rob them of their playoffs hope 24 hours later. :laugh:

That game is definitely ingrained in my memory forever, I can still feel the disappointment and anger 15 years later. It was Easter diner at my grandma’s house that night and I was watching the game by myself while the adults were talking in the dining room. Let’s say a couple of heartfelt “esti de calice de tabarnak” were mentioned pretty loudly when Begin started acting like a clown and my mom wasn’t pleased at all. :laugh:

Reactions: the

Dirby Kach

Sponsor
Sep 2, 2009
This thread messed with me.
I wish I could press a button and make it a Tuesday afternoon in September 2002. I'm hopping on my bicycle to go to Zellers after school and buy the new NHL 2003 with Jarome Iginla on the cover for PS2. I have no worries and no responsibilities. I have $91.36 in my chequing and i'm still happy with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad