2000-2010 nostalgia thread

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Sure, we didn’t have much success, but I’ll always have a soft spot for this era and the moments it provided, and it will forever bring back a sense of nostalgia for me. I’m sure many on here (especially those of us in our 30’s and 40’s) are in the same boat. I was born in 1988, and loved hockey from a very early age in the early 90’s, but I REALLY got into hockey on a much more serious level by the late 90’s and especially early 2000’s. It probably helped that I discovered HF Boards in 2003 and we of course all shared some great times on here cheering on our team over the years. I miss those days, when our Habs fandom was at such a passionate level and we especially felt excitement regarding our team in the Gainey era - at least in the early years of it anyways.

Maybe it was my age and the fact that I’m filled with nostalgia, but it was such a great era to be a fan, even if if didn’t translate to a whole lot of on-ice success. We still loved our team and felt a real connection to them. That’s something that has been missing for quite a few years now and I think many would agree with that. https://youtu.be/4F_EA6w1Xxk
[URL='https://youtu.be/4F_EA6w1Xxk'][/URL]

Koivu returns from cancer: https://youtu.be/FvBp_JXoCfk

Kovalev on Tucker: https://youtu.be/zACGht3qfXA

Post your favorite memories, players etc!https://youtu.be/Ts6VxImVrJY

BozoTheClown

Jul 10, 2021
I remember the years between 1994 to 2011 being some of the worst years and probably would have been worst if not for the expansion teams.
Those are the years I stopped watching hockey.

1992-1993 was the pinnacle for me. Riding my bicycle from the South Shore across Jacques Cartier Bridge to end up in a human see if Habs fans high fiving each other, walking by cops in riot gear shaking in fear, chaos all over the place as the night progressed.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Who remembers the Theodore vs Garon debate? Which of the two were going to be our “goaltender of the future”?

Richard Zednik flashing with his skill. Then Kovalev came around of course, blowing Zednik’s skill out of the water. But for a few years, Zednik was sort of “the guy” skill wise.

Chad Kilger, such an infuriating player. Had the size and skated like the f***ing wind, yet it never amounted to actual on-ice production.

Yanic Perreault, our “big” UFA signing. He actually led our team in scoring the next season.

Donald Audette. We missed out on him in UFA (we were in on Martin Lapointe as well) but acquired him a few months into the season. I remember a lot of excitement around that. Never worked out..

Jan Bulis. Another infuriating player. Showed glimpses, and should have been much more than he was.

Remember the multiple years of having exciting groups of young up and comers such as Andrei Kostitsyn, Chris Higgins, Mike Komisarek, Tomas Plekanec, Sergei Kostitsyn, Mikhail Grabovski, Alexander Perezhogin, Marcel Hossa, Ron Hainsey, Kyle Chipchura, and of course Carey Price.

Sheldon Souray and his absolute BOMB from the point. Getting to watch Markov blossom into a legit top pairing defenseman, the general.

Last edited:

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Overrated decade. Think the internet hadn’t numbed out everyone’s brain though so it probably seems awesome in retrospect, but the amount of times I see how awesome it is get brought up around here is mind numbing it itself.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Overrated decade. Think the internet hadn’t numbed out everyone’s brain though so it probably seems awesome in retrospect, but the amount of times I see how awesome it is get brought up around here is mind numbing it itself.

I get it. Nostalgia plays a huge part in it. I’m aware of the fact that I see this decade from rose colored glasses. I’m aware of the fact it didn’t bring much in terms of actual on-ice success. I think my age and the fact that it was in and around the time I was in high school plays a big part in the memories for me.

Reactions: HabsCowboysOwn

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
I get it. Nostalgia plays a huge part in it. I’m aware of the fact that I see this decade from rose colored glasses. I’m aware of the fact it didn’t bring much in terms of actual on-ice success. I think my age and the fact that it was in and around the time I was in high school plays a big part in the memories for me.
Yeah man it’s all good, I remember it quite well also. Remember Bulis’ 4 goal game? Back to back shutouts on Super Bowl Weekend in the 05-06 season was real memorable too.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Who remembers when Michel Therrien sent out winger Bill Lindsay to take a faceoff in playoff OT over faceoff king Yanic Perreault? He lost the draw and the Canes immediately scored off the faceoff to tie the series at 2. :help::help::help:

cheeseburgers

Jan 23, 2020
Who remembers when Michel Therrien sent out winger Bill Lindsay to take a faceoff in playoff OT over faceoff king Yanic Perreault? He lost the draw and the Canes immediately scored off the faceoff to tie the series at 2. :help::help::help:
Unfortunately, I do. My poor Dad and I were watching on the couch with a pizza and a drink. God damn Nic Wallin

Reactions: Habsfan18

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Yeah man it’s all good, I remember it quite well also. Remember Bulis’ 4 goal game? Back to back shutouts on Super Bowl Weekend in the 05-06 season was real memorable too.

Gainey had just fired Julien for trying to use Huet as the starter over Theodore and within a few games Huet caught fire and ended up trading Theodore anyways. Lol

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Kovalev's elbow on Tucker was pure bliss

Picture perfect if I say so myself. ;)

15k7lYLoqPYSyNl5vf36iDhEmrhLOGB-IAor87LIlDQ.jpg

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Gainey had just fired Julien for trying to use Huet as the starter over Theodore and within a few games Huet caught fire and ended up trading Theodore anyways. Lol
That moment when Crosby made the water bottle pop on Theodore in the shoot out was something straight out anime. It was like he snatched the man’s soul in his coming out party. Theodore really fell off hard after that.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Zubrus, Linden, and a pick for Bulis, Zednik, and a 1st (Perezhogin)... ah, good times

I remember watching that trade deadline, and being really bummed out that we traded Zubrus.

Then Richard Zednik scored 28 seconds into his Habs debut and had a 3 point night in a 6-3 win over the Canes. He quickly became one of my favorites.

5550BB15-1A94-41C1-9C05-F94DB4E53C95.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: HabsCowboysOwn

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
The buzz around this franchise towards the end of the 2000’s was unreal. I was convinced we were winning the Stanley Cup back in 2008-2009 when we added Tanguay and Lang to our team. Everything was going exactly according to plan until all hell broke lose in December

I still don’t understand what happened to that team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad