GDT: #20 | Stars vs Penguins | Weds Nov 21 at 7PM est | ATTSN-PT, FS-SW+

What will happen tonight?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We finally have our top three centers (or so it appears) ready to roll tonight and what does Sully do, instead of scratching a a depth center he scratches Sprong. It's not a big deal on the surface, but it just shows how this coach tries to marginalize players he doesn't like. Sure Sprong will play at times, but only with bottom of the barrel centers. When there's a chance he can get a regular shift with our top three, he's scratched. I want the Pens to succeed, but I also want this coach gone. What he's doing here is so obvious. And whether you like Sprong or not, this is not what a coach should be doing.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
nsLXqcK.gif

The kid is back

giphy.gif

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Also. These gross things tonight:

Penguins-New-Third-Jersey-2019.jpg

SO CLOSE to perfect. Oh well.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Sprong a scratch? What forward is going to be playing over him? Do they have a 12th forward on the roster?

Oh wait Grant will play over Sprong, just lol. I can't wait to see ZAR-Crosby-Simon as the top line and Grant-Sheahan-Rust as the 4th line.
Right, our all world center comes back so lets scratch a winger and play our 6th best center, makes perfect sense!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Right, our all world center comes back to lets scratch a winger and play our 6th best center, makes perfect sense!

To be fair, Sprong has done literally nothing in 90% of the games he has played in this year. Sprong should be healthy scratched, I'm just very concerned about the lines they're going to use with him as a scratch.

If they would have called up a young guy from WBS and sat Sprong, I'd be happy. But Grant? Eh...

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
We finally have our top three centers (or so it appears) ready to roll tonight and what does Sully do, instead of scratching a a depth center he scratches Sprong. It's not a big deal on the surface, but it just shows how this coach tries to marginalize players he doesn't like. Sure Sprong will play at times, but only with bottom of the barrel centers. When there's a chance he can get a regular shift with our top three, he's scratched. I want the Pens to succeed, but I also want this coach gone. What he's doing here is so obvious. And whether you like Sprong or not, this is not what a coach should be doing.

Not using players they don't rate is exactly what a coach should be doing and its exactly what people want the coach to do with players they don't like.

The issue is entirely whether you like Sprong or not. There's no way people would react like this if it had been ZAR scratched with 5 forwards kept in, because people don't like ZAR.

And I'd prefer to see Sprong over Sheahan/Grant/ZAR right now. But that's because I think Sully's making the wrong call on who'll help him here, not because the idea is inherently bad.

To be fair, Sprong has done literally nothing in 90% of the games he has played in this year. Sprong should be healthy scratched, I'm just very concerned about the lines they're going to use with him as a scratch.

If they would have called up a young guy from WBS and sat Sprong, I'd be happy. But Grant? Eh...

What I've seen of the last couple of games, Sprong deserves a shirt. He's been energetic and confident and that's resulted in play going the right way and him creating chances for himself. He still looks flawed, but I'd rather have him on the ice in a sheltered role compared to the alternatives.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

The lines however would line up better if Sprong played. And let me say while Sprong has not produced how can we really expect him to when he's relegated to playing with guys like Grant? Simon gets shifts with Sid and he's deserving of that. But there's a decided difference to playing with Sid than Grant obviously. And again Simon has earned it but he to turned over the puck last game which led to a Sabres goal.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
And this is why I am cheering the other teams to beat us and beat us badly because I've had enough with how this coaching staff handles shit. f*** them.

Reactions: Ryder71

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Let's be real REAL...Sullivan likely destroyed a clicking line from last game...when we need Brass clicking. And is now playing Grant and Sheahan..likely on the same line.

I hope non of what I wrote is true.

I hope he puts Guentzel-Brassard-Hornqvist together...

But..what..he gonna do Simon-Crosby-Rust then????

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

You know how I know Sullivan has no f***ing idea how to motivate players right now? He's doing what worked 3yrs ago in hopes it works now. That's how moronic his rationale is. Murray is supposed to sit and watch Casey to get fired up. That's what he thinks will work (it hasn't all year) when instead, Murray should be playing through his struggles.

Dude gives Rust a bunch of chances in the top 6 and yet won't play Murray through his struggles.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Not using players they don't rate is exactly what a coach should be doing and its exactly what people want the coach to do with players they don't like.

The issue is entirely whether you like Sprong or not. There's no way people would react like this if it had been ZAR scratched with 5 forwards kept in, because people don't like ZAR.

And I'd prefer to see Sprong over Sheahan/Grant/ZAR right now. But that's because I think Sully's making the wrong call on who'll help him here, not because the idea is inherently bad.
The idea is inherently bad because of the reasoning behind it. Simply put he doesn't like Sprong and he will do everything he can to not place him in a position to succeed. This is a personal issue and he's letting it cloud his judgement.

I don't care who the player is, truthfully. I'm not a huge fan of Sprong in particular. He's fine and I hope he does well for the teams sake. But he's getting railroaded because his personality clashes with the coach. Just like Cole did.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The idea is inherently bad because of the reasoning behind it. Simply put he doesn't like Sprong and he will do everything he can to not place him in a position to succeed. This is a personal issue and he's letting it cloud his judgement.

I don't care who the player is, truthfully. I'm not a huge fan of Sprong in particular. He's fine and I hope he does well for the teams sake. But he's getting railroaded because his personality clashes with the coach. Just like Cole did.

Pretty much all the recent talk I've read about this is about Sully disliking Sprong as a player, not as a person.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Pretty much all the recent talk I've read about this is about Sully disliking Sprong as a player, not as a person.

I know you're one of the optimists, lol, but right now, I think Sullivan personally hates every one of us fans.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
You know how I know Sullivan has no ****ing idea how to motivate players right now? He's doing what worked 3yrs ago in hopes it works now. That's how moronic his rationale is. Murray is supposed to sit and watch Casey to get fired up. That's what he thinks will work (it hasn't all year) when instead, Murray should be playing through his struggles.

Dude gives Rust a bunch of chances in the top 6 and yet won't play Murray through his struggles.

It’s different letting a player play through their struggles than a goalie.

We also have 5 games in the next week so they are going to split games and probably looked into who would match best against what teams.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I know you're one of the optimists, lol, but right now, I think Sullivan personally hates every one of us fans.

If I was Sully and I was reading this board I'd hate everyone too.

edit: And my view on Sully is less about optimism, and more about the fact that a lot of the complaints don't make sense. Which still leaves a lot of room for fair criticism tbh.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Simon Sid Horny
Pearson G Phil
Jake Brass Rust
ZAR - Sheahan Grant

Sid and Brass could be changing wings..I wish they would gamble just one night and get the fourth line:
Johnson -TB -Sprong

Reactions: Andy99

Fordy

May 28, 2008

there are 5 players in the lineup that are also doing nothing. i can quibble over just how much more nothing they do than sprong, but i don’t even have to. if we’re going to have 5 do nothings in the lineup a night, one of them should at least have some upside and be in their natur position

Reactions: DegenX and Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad