20% of the season. Leafs are a .600 Team

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
  • Sure we have won three in a row
  • We are on pace for 101 points....
  • We are a .600+ team....
But

We are not playing well defensively especially the forwards, AM is MIA in the 200 foot game and invisible at times, our PP is a joke and we can’t beat playoff teams to save our lives.

Look I get that JT, Dermott and Hyman have all missed significant time, we have a ton of new players attempting to learn our systems, playing style and gel as a team but our top 6 forwards have yet to commit to helping our D. The D Corp and our PP looks lost at times. I hope we can actually pull it together and I know we have another 60+ games to do it but unless we start to show something when the games get tighter, beat some playoffs contenders I think we will be a fringe playoff team and if we are lucky enough to make it we are one and done yet again.

I hope they prove me wrong...

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
It's tempting to say "imagine how great this team will be" ... once they're completely healthy, the new guys get fully acclimatized, etc. but I also look back at their record and wonder, how many games did they look mediocre/bad/terrible and Freddie stole a point or two for them?

The Leafs should be very concerned about what happens to this team if he gets injured for any significant time.

Reactions: Al14

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Considering our schedule thus far, injury troubles, and sub par performances throughout the lineup, our record is actually pretty damn good.

Now if only the team can start firing on all cylinders...

Reactions: hoglund

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'm convinced that the Leafs forum is one where posters are happiest when we are losing, so that they can complain. When we win, they find something to complain about. When we win, they find a player they didn't like. It's completely bizarre, how permanently pessimistic and angry a large portion of this fan base is, led by Captain Poulin.

As the OP mentions, we have a pretty decent record, despite a lot going wrong, multiple back to backs and not looking great so far in the season. Imagine riding a three game win streak, the next two games very winnable, second in the division, and still a bunch of angry, downtrodden fans. It's remarkable.

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
They ARE NOT a .600 team. .600 implies you win 6 out of 10. They're 9 and 8 with a +4 goal differential. That's .529. 3 more wins in a row and they're .600.

They've earned .618 of the available points.

They are third in the division in percentage of available points earned.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eric bungay

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Yup. Leafs fans are the worst. As a group, and as probably most of them individually, they can't control their emotions better than my toddler, and extrapolate everything to the extreme conclusion -- especially if it's bad.

102 point pace, despite significant injuries, and one of the worst early season back-to-backs in modern hockey history.

It's okay, guy. This is a great team.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm convinced that the Leafs forum is one where posters are happiest when we are losing, so that they can complain. When we win, they find something to complain about. When we win, they find a player they didn't like. It's completely bizarre, how permanently pessimistic and angry a large portion of this fan base is, led by Captain Poulin.

As the OP mentions, we have a pretty decent record, despite a lot going wrong, multiple back to backs and not looking great so far in the season. Imagine riding a three game win streak, the next two games very winnable, second in the division, and still a bunch of angry, downtrodden fans. It's remarkable.

Ive long.though that a small but very vocal part of this fanbase seems.to enjoy misery more than anything else about the game.

This team had had its ups and downs this season, but the way some folks have been complaining youd think they were heading to last place

Reactions: Dekes For Days

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
We can't beat good teams .... the only stat that matters.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
It's okay, guy. This is a great team.
Amongst 20 other great teams.

Parity parity parity

The hope was for building something special from the ground up. The result isn't likely special, the result is parity.

A very tough place to be.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
We can't beat good teams .... the only stat that matters.

Unfortunate that so many tough opponents on back to backs this year and our backup couldn't steal one but still have wins over Boston and Vegas.

I saw more than a few posters hoping we could keep our head above water with the schedule and injuries before the season started and I think we have come out pretty good despite Tavares being down for a significant stretch.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Not the best start. Wins have been tough to come by.
Powerplay is miserable
Schedule is worse
Our captain missed 7 of 17 games
Injuries
Refereeing sucks

Despite all that we are a 600 team.

With 20% of the season complete. starting today. no one can say the leafs are and have been a 500 team since January.

Onward and upward.
Good on you for stating a factual perspective. Imma still criticize though...just a bit!

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018

That is an accurate observation of Leaf fans in general. Not criticizing can lead to happiness,contentment and worst of all ,unrealistic expectations! They have a decent team on paper and with all the new faces,there is much to comment on. It will be an interesting season,but we all know what really matters...playoff success! Until then,expect tons of armchair coaches and GM's to tell ya how it should be. Of course,I will be one of them!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
They ARE NOT a .600 team. .600 implies you win 6 out of 10. They're 9 and 8 with a +4 goal differential. That's .529. 3 more wins in a row and they're .600.

I think points earned % is being confused with winning % here.

If the Leafs lose tonight against Philly the record will be 9 wins and 9 losses after 18 games = .500 hockey right on the nose.

With Bettman's loser point system a team in today's NHL could mathematically lose all 82 games and go 0-0-82 = 82 points and claim to be a .500 hockey team on points % without winning a single game all year.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcleex

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I think points earned % is being confused with winning % here.

If the Leafs lose tonight against Philly the record will be 9 wins and 9 losses after 18 games = .500 hockey right on the nose.

With Bettman's loser point system a team in today's NHL could mathematically lose all 82 games and go 0-0-82 = 82 points and claim to be a .500 hockey team on points % without winning a single game all year.
You're right that winning %age and point %age are being confused. Hockey counts points, the Leafs have 21 points out of a possible 34 points which is a points %age of. 6176 and pace of 101 points. The Leafs have played poorly in many fan's minds, wait until they play well.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You're right that winning %age and point %age are being confused. Hockey counts points, the Leafs have 21 points out of a possible 34 points which is a points %age of. 6176 and pace of 101 points. The Leafs have played poorly in many fan's minds, wait until they play well.

Last year after 17 games the Leafs were 11-6-0 for 22 points and were +5 games above .500 hockey and truly playing at .647 hockey.

Back in 2017-18 after 17 games the Leafs were 10-7-0 for 20 points and were +3 games above .500 and played at .588 hockey.

This year is the lowest we've played in the past 3 with 9-5-3 mark and playing at only .527 hockey.

As far as winning % this is our worst start of the past 3 years, and what is saving the Leafs is they're able to get games to OT/SO instead of losing in regulation time to earn the loser point which bumps up our points % rate higher than our actual winning %.

When we drill down on the results further it shows that of the Leafs 9 wins that only 2 have come against playoff teams and 7 against non playoff teams, so we're no winning against good teams only accumulating our largest % of points against the weakest non playoff teams. Those wins coming against Ottawa, Detroit, Minnesota, LA, SJ and Columbus which are 6 of the bottom 7 teams in the entire NHL overall.

The concerns over Leafs indifferent play this year are valid. We're all waiting for the Leafs to play better and start winning against the better teams as well, not just feasting on the bottom feeders. :)

When the playoffs begin those regular season participation points for losses in extended time go away and count only in W or L columns.

Last edited:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Last year after 17 games the Leafs were 11-6-0 for 22 points and were +5 games above .500 hockey and truly playing at .647 hockey.

Back in 2017-18 after 17 games the Leafs were 10-7-0 for 20 points and were +3 games above .500 and played at .588 hockey.

This year is the lowest we've played in the past 3 with 9-5-3 mark and playing at only .527 hockey.

As far as winning % this is our worst start of the past 3 years, and what is saving the Leafs is they're able to get games to OT/SO instead of losing in regulation time to earn the loser point which bumps up our points % rate higher than our actual winning %.

When we drill down on the results further it shows that of the Leafs 9 wins that only 2 have come against playoff teams and 7 against non playoff teams, so we're no winning against good teams only accumulating our largest % of points against the weakest non playoff teams. Those wins coming against Ottawa, Detroit, Minnesota, LA, SJ and Columbus which are 6 of the bottom 7 teams in the entire NHL overall.

The concerns over Leafs indifferent play this year are valid. We're all waiting for the Leafs to play better and start winning against the better teams as well, not just feasting on the bottom feeders. :)

When the playoffs begin those regular season participation points for losses in extended time go away and count only in W or L columns.

Lucky for us there's no 3on3 in the playoffs where we take penalties and lose 4on3.

Reactions: IPS

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Lucky for us there's no 3on3 in the playoffs where we take penalties and lose 4on3.

Also no SO wins like last Saturday against Philly to up our Wins column #'s.

You bring up a good point because 3 of Leafs 9 wins to date occurred in 3V3 OT and there is also no such thing in the playoffs either. If our 4v3 loss to Washington doesn't exists in the playoffs either does our Marner to JT 3v3 game winner via Vegas the other night.

Once these gimmick regular season things go away the Leafs will need to find ways to win in regulation and/or 5v5 regularly even in OT. ;)

I guess this is why a lot of NHL insiders are claiming the Leafs aren't built for the playoffs but more the regulation season only because of things like this that allow them to accumulate points, but disappear once the playoffs begin, whereas the shootout and 3v3 is more a skills competition than a normal hockey game.

Leafs have 3 OT 3v3 wins + 1 SO win + 2 X OT losses + 1 SO loss so in effect 11 of Leafs 21 points have come in situations that don't exist come playoff time which is > 50% of our points.

Last edited:
Reactions: mclaren55

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Also no SO wins like last Saturday against Philly to up our Wins column #'s.

You bring up a good point because 3 of Leafs 9 wins to date occurred in 3V3 OT and there is also no such thing in the playoffs either. If our 4v3 loss to Washington doesn't exists in the playoffs either does our Marner to JT 3v3 game winner via Vegas the other night.

Once these gimmick regular season things go away the Leafs will need to find ways to win in regulation and/or 5v5 regularly even in OT. ;)

I guess this is why a lot of NHL insiders are claiming the Leafs aren't built for the playoffs but more the regulation season only because of things like this that allow them to accumulate points, but disappear once the playoffs begin, whereas the shootout and 3v3 is more a skills competition than a normal hockey game.

Leafs have 3 OT 3v3 wins + 1 SO win + 2 X OT losses + 1 SO loss so in effect 11 of Leafs 21 points have come in situations that don't exist come playoff time which is > 50% of our points.

So is Vegas not built for the playoffs either? They couldn't handle these measley no-defense no-grit Leafs in regulation time.

Reactions: Boutette

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Good thing the league works in points. And we right now we are a 600 team.

If we finish at the same pace with 43-24-15 and 101 points I would be happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad