20% of the season. Leafs are a .600 Team

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
A regular season without playoff success would be a huge failure to me

.... happy to "get into the playoffs" and get wrecked early

Holy negativity. This fanbase is impossible.

Im talking about the regular season performance, I didn't say anything about the playoffs.

So to be clear: Yes, if we lose in the first round I would be very upset.

But Im talking about our performance so far, I am not as down about the results so far even considering they had 4 of 14 back to backs in one month and had many injuries and that waa October Freddie.

Cheer up boys and girls, the doom and gloom here is really depressing. Stop watching Tim and Sid and start looking for the positive angles, it's better for your health.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Im talking about the regular season performance, I didn't say anything about the playoffs.

But Im talking about our performance so far, I am not as down about the results so far even considering they had 4 of 14 back to backs in one month and had many injuries and that waa October Freddie.

Cheer up boys and girls, the doom and gloom here is really depressing. Stop watching Tim and Sid and start looking for the positive angles, it's better for your health.

No excuses, we’ve seen this movie before. We’ll see how they perform when things tighten. Their level of play doesn’t make me inspired right now

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Surprising given how mediocre this team has been since the start of the season.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Surprising given how mediocre this team has been since the start of the season.

We got a lot of world class talent to win us games we shouldn't.

The play/effort on ice shows a bottom 10 team.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
9 Wins and 9 Losses

= .500 team.

an OTL is still a loss.

Whatever gets you through the delusion, that's OK folks. Life can be tough.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I mean the team has underwhelmed me, but this schedule is also just utter trash

Despite the back to back games so far the Leafs have played a lot of home games early which is an advantage and also out strength of schedule has been fairly easy going up against non playoff teams early.

I think now that we will be heading out on extended road trip which sees us playing 9 of the next 11 games in Nov on the road including a stretch of 7 straight games this is where the schedule will really test the Leafs.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
9 Wins and 9 Losses

= .500 team.

an OTL is still a loss.

Whatever gets you through the delusion, that's OK folks. Life can be tough.

Well then, that settles it.

Or.... does it?

Here's another way of looking at it:

1. Points and points% have only one use - to figure out who gets into the playoffs , who gets home ice, and who goes golfing.
  2. You get a point for an OTL, you don't if you lose in regulation. Are those points not important?
It's not a matter of being soft or delusional, it's just a different way of looking at the same information. In my soft way of looking at things, I get to see which teams are going on, and who will be playing who and who has home ice advantage. Your "tough" way of doing it gives you a different number, which is almost semi-interesting, I guess.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Well then, that settles it.

Or.... does it?

Here's another way of looking at it:

1. Points and points% have only one use - to figure out who gets into the playoffs , who gets home ice, and who goes golfing.
  2. You get a point for an OTL, you don't if you lose in regulation. Are those points not important?
It's not a matter of being soft or delusional, it's just a different way of looking at the same information. In my soft way of looking at things, I get to see which teams are going on, and who will be playing who and who has home ice advantage. Your "tough" way of doing it gives you a different number, which is almost semi-interesting, I guess.

Hard to imagine losing to Philly in the shootout, simply by getting a loser point would be something to be happy with, because we didn't lose in regulation and that it supports the team is playing above .500 hockey points %.

Using points from losses to support the team is playing above expectations of a .500 hockey team of 9 wins and 9 losses, seems more like looking for a silver lining in an otherwise disappointing outcome and results to date. IMO

If the media criticism is this is a .500 hockey (average team) and has been playing at that level since Jan 1st of 2019, which is actually a true fact not an opinion based on counting wins and losses..

I'm of the opinion that your regular season play determines how serious you are of a Cup contender once the playoffs begin, and if your relying of a lot of points from losses in the regular season simply to get in, that would be the reason to be concerned over the teams play/performance.

Last edited:

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
Two things @Mess:

I didn't say I was happy about the game or the OTL, just saying that the single points are actually important.

With the introduction of the 3-point game, the old measure of .500 is no longer the middle ground or tipping point between good and bad teams. Not sure what the actual number is, but it's got to have moved a little higher.

This is simply based on how the league works now (and it's not a matter of hating or loving the "loser point" - they're part of the game for the time being (and have been for what 15 years now?).

Here's a simple question. Which team is better?

Team A: 41-41-0 = 82 points on the season; or

Team B: 41-0-41 = 123 point season.

They're both .500 teams if you don't count the OTL points, but my money would be on Team B when the played.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
With Bettman's loser point system a team in today's NHL could mathematically lose all 82 games and go 0-0-82 = 82 points and claim to be a .500 hockey team on points % without winning a single game all year.
With yours, a team could mathematically go 41-0-41, get 123 points, and win the president's trophy, and you would claim they are a mediocre 0.500 playoff bubble team, despite them never losing a single game in regulation all year.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
If the media criticism is this is a .500 hockey (average team) and has been playing at that level since Jan 1st of 2019, which is actually a true fact not an opinion based on counting wins and losses..
It's actually not a true fact.

Leafs are actually playing at a points percentage of 0.557 since January 1st, and we only got that number (through which this team has dealt with a ton of injuries and other obstacles) by cherry picking their 2 worst months and excluding their best.

This is also driven heavily by their backups playing horribly. The Leafs in front of Andersen since January 1st are playing at a points percentage of 0.686, or a 113 point pace.

I'm of the opinion that your regular season play determines how serious you are of a Cup contender once the playoffs begin, and if your relying of a lot of points from losses in the regular season simply to get in, that would be the reason to be concerned over the teams play/performance.
Everything that happens after 60 minutes of hockey is 100% irrelevant to success in the playoffs.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada

don't say that all the Leafs fan base are this negative, there are many, but to say that this fan base is impossible implies that we're all irrational, there are many, but not the whole fan base.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Despite the back to back games so far the Leafs have played a lot of home games early which is an advantage and also out strength of schedule has been fairly easy going up against non playoff teams early.

I think now that we will be heading out on extended road trip which sees us playing 9 of the next 11 games in Nov on the road including a stretch of 7 straight games this is where the schedule will really test the Leafs.

This is going to be telling.

They are 18th. in the league right now for points percentage.

I'm hoping they grow together as a team, and the under performing defense figures it out.

Tavares is going to have to be the Islander's version of Tavares on the 2nd. line.

Hyman should push someone down the line-up.

Curious about who they may call up, I'm hoping someone who is going to be part of their future.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Wow. What a turd show. After I created this thread the leafs got 1 point of a possible 12 and dropped from 600 to 478.

You know, I work long hours. Stressful and demanding work. Long commutes. I do it to take care of my family, pay the mortgage, food, put my kids in swimming classes and other activities. At home I do chores, cooking, cleaning, driving the kids, mow the lawn, clear snow, car work, furnace maintenance, bills and taxes, save for colleges, plan for retirement. Every day is busy. That's the life I chose. The dad life through and through.

How well the leafs do has no real bearing on my life, but they are my break, stress and emotional relief.

I don't usually get to watch the games, sometimes I do, sometimes just parts of games. But I keep track of scores and results and standings. I feel happy when we win and get totally bummed when we lose.

The leafs are making millions in the process.

But for me it really sucks when my only relief and entertainment is just so miserable. Instead of making me feel good I am bummed out all the time. More stressed thinking about standings, playoffs, powerplays, penalty kills, cap situation, how the heck can we get a better backup with no caps pace, when will Barrie play to potential, when will Babcock get fired.

NO. NO. NO. I don't need all that stuff in my head. This not entertaining. This is mental torture.

Get it straight boys. Win some games for God's sakes.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
This thread started just before they went on a losing streak, so it's showing a best-to-worst trend. Streaks happen, and at opposite ends of them, teams look pretty good or pretty bad.

The Islanders started the season 1-3, for a points % of .250. Poof, they go on a win streak, and are now at .816.

They won't keep winning forever, and we won't keep losing forever: everyone calm down.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Leafs need 76 of 118 available points or a 0.644% winning percentage.
105.6 point pace over a full season.
It’s possible, but they would need to turn things around quickly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad