20% of the season. Leafs are a .600 Team

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Not the best start. Wins have been tough to come by.
Powerplay is miserable
Schedule is worse
Our captain missed 7 of 17 games
Injuries
Refereeing sucks

Despite all that we are a 600 team.

With 20% of the season complete. starting today. no one can say the leafs are and have been a 500 team since January.

Onward and upward.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
.600 points percentage (101 point pace) is not a particularly great record in a league that routinely awards three points in games. It'll get them into the playoffs, but only as 3rd seed in the division or a wildcard. They're also on pace for only a +19 goal differential, which is more meaningful with the small sample size so far, and would be worse than the past two years.

This is a team that was supposed to take the next step and become a legit contender that dominates other teams, not be slightly above average for the fourth year in a row.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
.600 points percentage (101 point pace) is not a particularly great record in a league that routinely awards three points in games. It'll get them into the playoffs, but only as 3rd seed in the division or a wildcard. They're also on pace for only a +19 goal differential, which is more meaningful with the small sample size so far, and would be worse than the past two years.

This is a team that was supposed to take the next step and become a legit contender that dominates other teams, not be slightly above average for the fourth year in a row.

That's the point of the post. We've had a very bad start, goalies started off slow, key injuries to 3 players including our captain center and gritty top LW, a cold powerplay and a terrible schedule in the month of October. Not excuses, but just facts. None of that is sustainable, and can only go up from here.

ALL of that and we're still a .618 point percentage team. That's pretty good, considering Leaf fans were acting like we were dead last, if you ask me.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

They are not just above average but they need to work on lots for sure. They can out score bad performances, give up way to many shots still, depend on our elite goalie to allow them to be comfortable because they have always made the playoffs with this same demeanour. When they say, we need to give up less and put in consistent efforts every night they will be elite.

The management needs to make some minor changes and get a 4th line guy or two that will go after guys that run our top guys and add a good physical element to our overall make up.

Looking a bit better but not there yet. Team first defense and hard work ethic and defend each other is a absolute need. It’s coming!

Andersen is the reason we have a improved record because i see lots of loose ends in our play also. Not disagreeing with you just being specific.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I've been past caring about point totals or point percentage or whatever for awhile now.

The play on ice is the most concerning thing around now and it looks like no progress has been made in a very long time regarding it. The team is stacked with talent and can win games that have no business being won (like last night).

If this is the level of play that carries into the postseason then it's going to be another 1st round exit.

Reactions: supermann_98

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Not the best start. Wins have been tough to come by.
Powerplay is miserable
Schedule is worse
Our captain missed 7 of 17 games
Injuries
Refereeing sucks

Despite all that we are a 600 team.

With 20% of the season complete. starting today. no one can say the leafs are and have been a 500 team since January.

Onward and upward.
They're on pace for 101 points, but it's about 6 weeks too soon to make a realistic assessment.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I've been past caring about point totals or point percentage or whatever for awhile now.

The play on ice is the most concerning thing around now and it looks like no progress has been made in a very long time regarding it. The team is stacked with talent and can win games that have no business being won (like last night).

If this is the level of play that carries into the postseason then it's going to be another 1st round exit.

What do you mean like last night! That was a neutral zone trap greasy scrambled up mess for both teams. We were up against some solid goaltending from Subban last night too.

They pulled out a tight one and Vegas is a solid team that we matched shot for shot. The powerplay is really frustrating and generation off the rush is also.

I remain pisitive it will keep clicking. Hutch is not fishing or cutting bait so to speak. He’s a loss guaranteed . It needs to be a concern for management. A little harsh no!

Reactions: Jmo89

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario

You picked a great username.

I always look at the loss column for where a team stands in the league.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
That's the point of the post. We've had a very bad start, goalies started off slow, key injuries to 3 players including our captain center and gritty top LW, a cold powerplay and a terrible schedule in the month of October. Not excuses, but just facts. None of that is sustainable, and can only go up from here.

ALL of that and we're still a .618 point percentage team. That's pretty good, considering Leaf fans were acting like we were dead last, if you ask me.[/QUOTE

All excuses really
The should be better
And right now they don't look built for playoff or even 2nd half hockey
Seen this movie before

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Last night they were decent in their own end and didn’t allow VGK many open point blank chances off the cycle, and when they did Freddy was there.

Still a lot of work left and a lot of proving to do before we know who they are. We won’t know if they’ve turned the page until Christmas.

Reactions: Jmo89
Mar 14, 2011
Its still early but this team just doesn't look like a contender to me, most other years were my expectations is just making the playoffs and perhaps winning 1 or 2 playoff rounds this wouldn't be so bad, but the circumstances right now with Barrie (who was brought in as a top pairing RHD) and Muzzin (brought in as a #3 at worst) both heading to UFA, the Leafs cap issues and with 2 1st round picks traded to build this team for this season, I except them to make a lot noise, but its looking more and more like its going to be same team from the past 2 years to be honest. Still, the Blues team from last year proved that thing could really start clicking as late as Jan so I still have hope these Leafs team.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
.600 points percentage (101 point pace) is not a particularly great record in a league that routinely awards three points in games. It'll get them into the playoffs, but only as 3rd seed in the division or a wildcard.
A 101 point pace has historically averaged about 8th in the league. It was 6th last year, and would have led the Central Division.

Also, in front of Andersen, which is how this team will be in the playoffs, they are on a 126 point pace with Andersen playing below his abilities.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada

All you have to do is make the playoffs, after that it's open for everyone, it might be better to be seeded lower so they don't have to play Boston the first round, maybe that's their plan.

Reactions: GBLeaf

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Not panicking. As said, most talented team for some time. Definitely could do with that extra element to bring everyone together a bit, like a prime-Komarov.

But has been a tough start all in, with the injuries... etc. They're coming through reasonably.

I think this is a season that will see the team grow stronger over the course as opposed to coming out flying and then burning out.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Ya it's surprising they are now on a 101 points pace despite the poor play.
They know their skill level and I think they know they can jump into any game at any moment and change it. The kids will get over this fat head syndrome but skill thrills we have alot of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->