20-21 Season Tank Thread (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020
I am always on team tank. You would have to be short sighted not to me. It's just with this group and how fragile they seem to be, part of me worries that if nothing is done on the management side and we're just losing. Somebody who shouldn't be traded, will be traded, or players are less thrilled about being here. Especially if the management decide to go through another mini rebuild around their core (starting to trade anybody they can for picks or players who aren't ready yet and not exactly acquiring anybody at a good age to help now) as they screwed it up the first time by adding the wrong veterans.

Nobody in this core, including Miller should be traded.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I am always on team tank. You would have to be short sighted not to me. It's just with this group and how fragile they seem to be, part of me worries that if nothing is done on the management side and we're just losing. Somebody who shouldn't be traded, will be traded, or players are less thrilled about being here. Especially if the management decide to go through another mini rebuild around their core (starting to trade anybody they can for picks or players who aren't ready yet and not exactly acquiring anybody at a good age to help now) as they screwed it up the first time by adding the wrong veterans.

Nobody in this core, including Miller should be traded.

JT Miller absolutely should be traded. The Canucks aren't contending within the next 2 years. JT Miller's contract ends in 2 years, and he'll be 30 when he's due an extension. Based on his play last year (and even the points he's put up this year) it's likely he will be in a good position for a raise. We will either lose him for nothing, or end up overpaying someone who will be declining in his 30's, on a longterm contract. Neither outcome is desirable. Trade him now when he is at peak value. This is one of the most logical trades you can make.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Keep - EP Hughes Horvat Demko Hogs Boeser Pods Tryamkin.

But no one is going to give us draft picks for the rest of our trash. Maybe Schmidt. Edler would be a decent rental, but he's never going to agree to move. Myers if we retain salary.

I thought we were going to be middle of the pack in the North. Wrong. Only Ott and Det have worse records. We have a decent core to build a team around, but we sure could use some support characters .....

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Keep - EP Hughes Horvat Demko Hogs Boeser Pods Tryamkin.

But no one is going to give us draft picks for the rest of our trash. Maybe Schmidt. Edler would be a decent rental, but he's never going to agree to move. Myers if we retain salary.

I thought we were going to be middle of the pack in the North. Wrong. Only Ott and Det have worse records. We have a decent core to build a team around, but we sure could use some support characters .....

I don't get the obsession people have with Tryamkin. If we can get any kind of draft pick for him we should do it. He wasn't that great when he was here, and there's a good chance he never even comes back to Vancouver. He's just tall.

I agree with your other "keeper" list; however, I wouldn't be opposed to moving Horvat given his age and contract status either.

The key trade chip we have is JT Miller. I think we can get a good package back for him and I would explore that option. I would also look to move Schmidt after the expansion draft to a team that loses a key defenseman.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hopefully McDavid sees this as another opportunity to pad his stats and goes off

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
JT Miller absolutely should be traded. The Canucks aren't contending within the next 2 years. JT Miller's contract ends in 2 years, and he'll be 30 when he's due an extension. Based on his play last year (and even the points he's put up this year) it's likely he will be in a good position for a raise. We will either lose him for nothing, or end up overpaying someone who will be declining in his 30's, on a longterm contract. Neither outcome is desirable. Trade him now when he is at peak value. This is one of the most logical trades you can make.

I was hesitant for a while on this. But I think I've fully come around on it now. The only reason to hold on to Miller would be if the Canucks were in a really favourable position to make some noise in the playoffs for many seasons to come. After the bubble playoff things looked deceptively promising. But then the offseason happened and the rest is history in the making. It's a shame because acquiring him was looking like a pretty great move; when Miller is on his game he is the PERFECT piece to platoon with Pettersson. But like you outlined, as things stand, it just doesn't make sense to hold on to him if we are not in a position to benefit from it. We could really use a young right side defenceman. If Miller can get that sort of return I think it's worth trading him.

Reactions: I am toxic

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

Trading Miller requires foresight and the ability to see the bigger picture.

7 years in and we are seeing neither in good ol Jimmy are we?
:laugh:

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
Hughes, Pettersson, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Boeser can all stick around.

everybody else we should be at least open to moving

Reactions: Luckylarry

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Feels good to be back, boys.

Had this avatar since 2014. Nothing has changed.

The organization needs a top to bottom gutting after it was pillaged by the village idiot and company.

Sucks we have to bring this thread back, but that's what happens when you have a GM without foresight and nothing between the ears. It all results in long term futility and abject failure.

All I am hoping for is that Jimbo doesn't hurt our team anymore with any desperation trades in the near future here.

Last edited:

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
I am hoping at this point there will be no more canucks fan supporting Benning, the necessity of this thread after seven years proved that he is literally one of the worst GM in canucks history, he is so terrible that he is comparable to mike milbury.

Anyways, back to topic. I don't see how McDavid is not going to score at least a few goals against us tonight.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I am hoping at this point there will be no more canucks fan supporting Benning, the necessity of this thread after seven years proved that he is literally one of the worst GM in canucks history, he is so terrible that he is comparable to mike milbury.

Anyways, back to topic. I don't see how McDavid is not going to score at least a few goals against us tonight.

I can't decide the best way for us to lose:

1) getting absolutely trounced and pounded since puck drop
2) getting up something like 3-1 or 5-1 then collapse completely and get scored on 6 times in a row with no response

I want to say 2) is more embarrassing, but us being able to get up to a good lead to start will offer ammo for Benning to spin on.

Reactions: Vancouver_2010

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Honestly, trade every single player of value and retain money on each one to up the value. Go full blown firesale to surround this core with actual good players, instead of useless whiners and sulkers like Miller (who did this exact same thing by the way, in both Tampa and NY. When the times get tough for JT, he pouts).

Imagine the return for a 50% retained Miller.

Anyone not named Pettersson, Hughes, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Boeser should be jettisoned for as much value as we can because the next 2 years are a write off anyway.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Honestly, trade every single player of value and retain money on each one to up the value. Go full blown firesale to surround this core with actual good players, instead of useless whiners and sulkers like Miller (who did this exact same thing by the way, in both Tampa and NY. When the times get tough for JT, he pouts).

Imagine the return for a 50% retained Miller.

Anyone not named Pettersson, Hughes, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Boeser should be jettisoned for as much value as we can because the next 2 years are a write off anyway.

The ideal would be to trade Miller for a stud prospect, draft another stud prospect with the top-8 draft pick from this draft. Trade Sutter and anyone else with value for other picks. Suddenly the Canucks have a complete core of players under 25 to build around despite not rebuilding properly for 7 years.

Knowing Aquilini and Benning they will probably piss away yet another opportunity to build towards the future.

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020

There are people who think teams should be empty of any valuable players until a team is able to be competitive and live in some fantasy world where you can fill out a roster with temporary and low contract players that you don't have to give up much for, all this while thinking it will not affect the young players development

There are people who believe stars should have some high end support players, even if they're not in the same age range because you have no idea when things suddenly turn a corner. Hockey has changed and star players are ready rather young. Players develop better when they actually have control of the puck and not chasing the game. They also are more likely to stay in the city if they're winning games. They are also more likely to learn from these high caliber veterans. Veteran leadership IS a thing, it's just that Benning was very poor at it and brought in muckers as leadership, who couldn't actually help on the IQ/skill side, nor could they even help on the ice

Then there are GMs/Fans who think the team should be overloaded with players who dont serve the long term plan

I get it. We know where you stand. ;)

Also you can easily trade players at the deadline before a contract expires. If things did change. Count me as somebody that doesn't believe the POTENTIAL lesser value you receive 2 years from now will outweigh having a top player for 2 more years with possibility of more if we need it to. Also count me as somebody that doesn't believe he's going to drop off a cliff. Count me as somebody who isn't overreacting to Miller's play because the team is performing poorly and is mismanaged at the moment. Miller is a fantastic player on a very good contract, for quite a while longer. And even then, he will most likely be worth extending a couple years in order to win it all.

If the team rebuilds, sure. But this team can be fixed quite quickly. If somebody else takes charge or the current management makes the tough decisions to fix the mistakes in the offseason. There is absolutely NO reason for a mini rebuild. The team has all the core pieces in place besides a #2 d man

But seriously, I don't have time to debate this theory that you can't have a great 27 year old player with a core that's very close to their prime. This game of predicting exactly when they'll turn a corner and believe you'll suddenly have the ability to just land all these other pieces/players is very naive

I been here long enough to know how you have a stubborn and tunnel vision outlook on most things.

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
There are people who think teams should be empty of any valuable players until a team is able to be competitive and live in some fantasy world where you can fill out a roster with temporary and low contract players that you don't have to give up much for, all this while thinking it will not affect the young players development

There are people who believe stars should have some high end support players, even if they're not in the same age range because you have no idea when things suddenly turn a corner. Hockey has changed and star players are ready rather young. Players develop better when they actually have control of the puck and not chasing the game. They also are more likely to stay in the city if they're winning games. They are also more likely to learn from these high caliber veterans. Veteran leadership IS a thing, it's just that Benning was very poor at it and brought in muckers as leadership, who couldn't actually help on the IQ/skill side, nor could they even help on the ice

Then there are GMs/Fans who think the team should be overloaded with players who dont serve the long term plan

Also you can easily trade players at the deadline before a contract expires. If things did change. Count me as somebody that doesn't believe the POTENTIAL lesser value you receive 2 years from now will outweigh having a top player for 2 more years with possibility of more if we need it to. Also count me as somebody that doesn't believe he's going to drop off a cliff. Count me as somebody who isn't overreacting to Miller's play because the team is performing poorly and is mismanaged at the moment. Miller is a fantastic player on a very good contract, for quite a while longer. And even then, he will most likely be worth extending a couple years in order to win it all.

If the team rebuilds, sure. But this team can be fixed quite quickly. If somebody else takes charge or the current management makes the tough decisions to fix the mistakes in the offseason. There is absolutely NO reason for a mini rebuild. The team has all the core pieces in place besides a #2 d man

But seriously, I don't have time to debate this theory that you can't have a great 27 year old player with a core that's very close to their prime. This game of predicting exactly when they'll turn a corner and believe you'll suddenly have the ability to just land all these other pieces/players is very naive

I been here long enough to know how you have a stubborn and tunnel vision outlook on most things.
When you live in a fantasy land where a first line 29 year old signs for a couple years of course you don’t agree with moving him. Talk about naive.

Please list the core pieces this team has?

Where do you expect the team to finish next season if Benning makes all the right moves?

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
There are people who think teams should be empty of any valuable players until a team is able to be competitive and live in some fantasy world where you can fill out a roster with temporary and low contract players that you don't have to give up much for, all this while still allowing the stars to play with good players and develop well

Also you can easily trade players at the deadline before a contract expires. If things did change. Count me as somebody that doesn't believe the lesser value you receive 2 years from now will outweigh having a top player for 2 more years with possibility of more if we need it to. Also count me as somebody that doesn't believe he's going to drop off a cliff. Count me as somebody who isn't overreacting to Miller's play because the team is performing poorly and is mismanaged at the moment. Miller is a fantastic player on a very good contract, for quite a while longer. And even then, he will most likely be worth extending a couple years in order to win it all.

But seriously, I don't have time to debate this theory that you can't have a great 27 year old player with a core that's very close to their prime. This game of predicting exactly when they'll turn a corner and believe you'll suddenly have the ability to just land all these other players is very naive

I think with our roster THIS damaged, and only Pod as the only good prospect coming up, it is not that crazy to consider options with Miller.

Keeping him works if the team can bolster up for a reasonable chance at the cup within the next two years or so, and to do that we need competent role players who can hold the line. Miller's already quite pissed at this team's current shit show. His emotions justified or not, unless the losing stops now, I can see him requesting a trade within the year. Not only is our role player group underwhelming, defense is also lacking. Unless a GM is a Sith Lord or Steve Yzerman, trying to patch up the team to near-cup status in the next two years and make best use of our players' prime years pushing for a cup feels like a Herculean task.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad