2 years ago today: Taylor Hall was traded for Adam Larsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Chiarelli robbed the NHL of seeing the next great dynasty.

Funny how if you said that before, Oilers homers would call you a hater. Just took two years for them to realize that just because they are Oiler fans doesnt mean other fans can't be more knowledgeable about the Oilers than them.

Lol 99.9% of the time the Oiler fan DOES know more. What an idiotic post.

If you knew more than Oilers fans you would know that approximately 50% of the fanbase had a vendetta against Hall because of his character issues (No comment because nobody really knows) dating back to basically the 2010 draft. He rubbed a lot of the fans the wrong way for some reason.
So when he was traded that same 50% of the fanbase were happy to have him gone so they were happy with the trade.
The other 50% of the fanbase were very, very. very pissed off from the second Bob tweeted 1-for-1, myself included.

You can read the Oilers board. Even after we made he playoffs with Lars and Hall didn't with NJ (A highpoint in the trade) everyone was happy with our playoff birth but half of the fanbase were still bitter about the trade.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Except the ridicule for it was pretty intense and crazy the first year. Just because it was magnified by 10 this season doesn't mean it wasn't ridiculed severely the season before. And Larsson is the sole reason the Oilers made the playoffs that year? Not Klefbom having his breakout season or Sekera playing better? Or wait, is all that because of Larsson's arrival too? It's not like he carried them like Hall carried the Devils this year or was the only reason to watch them last year.

Lars did score 2 goals in the 3rd period (including the game winner) vs the Ducks in round 2.
You didnt mention Talbot, who along with #97 was our co-mvp
Lars was a big reason Klef played the way he did.
Sekera was always good.

Larsson made a huge difference for us that season.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Could have kept Hall and drafted Clayton Keller (instead of Puljujarvi). Epic incompetence.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Thing is, Hall wouldn't be an MVP candidate with Edmonton. Six years told us that. It wasn't working.

Hall had a couple of very good seasons in Edmonton on terrible teams, what exactly wasn't working?

If you DO come to the conclusion that it's "not working" and decide to trade him, why the hell are you trading him for peanuts. Such a bad, terrible, awful trade.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Hall had a couple of very good seasons in Edmonton on terrible teams, what exactly wasn't working?

If you DO come to the conclusion that it's "not working" and decide to trade him, why the hell are you trading him for peanuts. Such a bad, terrible, awful trade.

It wasn't an awful trade. Larsson isn't some atrocious defenceman. Hall had an amazing season. MVP season. But I doubt he ever reaches these heights again.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Thing is, Hall wouldn't be an MVP candidate with Edmonton. Six years told us that. It wasn't working.

As a NJ fan I agree with you. Hall is a different player now and it took Shero somehow getting through to him coupled with the ongoing misery of moving from one bad team to another for that to happen. I’m pretty convinced that had he stayed in EDM he’s cranky watching McDavid and even Drai get paid way more than him and getting all the attention and he continues his party boy ways and floats along waiting to be a UFA. Give Shero credit. Hall certainly was not an MVP candidate his first year with NJ.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Adam Larsson could win the Norris for the next five years and people would continue to beat this horse.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
As a NJ fan I agree with you. Hall is a different player now and it took Shero somehow getting through to him coupled with the ongoing misery of moving from one bad team to another for that to happen. I’m pretty convinced that had he stayed in EDM he’s cranky watching McDavid and even Drai get paid way more than him and getting all the attention and he continues his party boy ways and floats along waiting to be a UFA. Give Shero credit. Hall certainly was not an MVP candidate his first year with NJ.

Thank you. And I think being in an environment where Hockey isn't like a religion helps Hall too. He gets privacy.

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
Adam Larsson could win the Norris for the next five years and people would continue to beat this horse.

Thats a bit far fetched. I guarantee you that will never happen in any universe and if it did, people wouldnt be saying the same things they are now, dont be an idiot

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Thats a bit far fetched. I guarantee you that will never happen in any universe and if it did, people wouldnt be saying the same things they are now, dont be an idiot
It's no less ridiculous than saying they traded a Hart Trophy winner for a bottom 4 defender when Hall was nowhere near a team carrying MVP, and Larsson was far and away the devil's best defenseman.

But I guess it only gets to go one way, right?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Can't help but think the Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson deal was some time traveling hockey fan going back to nip the Oilers 2020s dynasty in the bud before it could even happen.

Then you think about the Reinhart for the Barzal Pick. Hall and Barzal on the first line, McDavid and Draisaitl on the second would have been a deadly one two punch.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Have to wonder how close Habs and Oilers were on a trade. Subban vs Hall - 1C Habs wanted vs 1D Oilers wanted, what could have been...In the end both got fleeced albeit Habs not as bad as Oilers.

Yeah except Hall isnt a centre

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Can't help but think the Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson deal was some time traveling hockey fan going back to nip the Oilers 2020s dynasty in the bud before it could even happen.

Then you think about the Reinhart for the Barzal Pick. Hall and Barzal on the first line, McDavid and Draisaitl on the second would have been a deadly one two punch.
I agree with all except for having Barzal ahead of McD.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
In all fairness, was there a "1 year ago today..." thread for this trade last summer?

Because Hall's first year in NJ was horrible and a total disappointment.

Larsson's first season in EDM > Hall's first season in NJ

And what's not to say Hall won't regress to a 55 or 60 point season next year?

He's averaged 73 points per 82 games in his career.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
This is gonna get a lot of likes from Oiler fans because it's absolutely true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad