2 years ago today: Taylor Hall was traded for Adam Larsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Forsberg was a prospect though. Hall was a known commodity with elite/franchise winger potential who demonstrated it with an 80 point season in Edmonton.

And Larsson could just as easily be labeled a bottom 4 defenseman. He seems to be an average 2nd pairing defenseman to most people.
Wasnt halls first year a dissappointment while larsson was stellar?

Whats definitely a worse trade is markus naslund for stojanov.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Craziest **** is it was the worst trade since Erat for Forsberg for about 10 minutes

Wow I had to go back that date using Trade Tracker to see what you were referring to. I forgot Subban for Webber was on this same date.

This one overshadows that one for me though.

ReggietheSavage15

Feb 27, 2008
That deal had nothing to do with their stanley cup win.

While true, there was still that cloud hanging over the franchise and was a talking point when bringing up the choking, amongst other things. Winning the cup has made that trade irrelevant. All the bad mojo from the choking to the Erat deal has been erased.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
While true, there was still that cloud hanging over the franchise and was a talking point when bringing up the choking, amongst other things. Winning the cup has made that trade irrelevant. All the bad mojo from the choking to the Erat deal has been erased.
So when pittsburgh won the cup in 2009 it suddenly made the naslund for stojanov deal good?

I am just saying that erat did not help Washington in their cup run.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
What an interesting way to backtrack. He "wasn't worse"? Based on what exactly.
Based on that people didnt ridiculate this trade as much as season 2. Edmonton made playoffs for the first time in 10 years with larsson.

How many playoffs did they make with hall?

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
Well larsson wasnt worse than hall in his first season to put things in context.
Hey man, stop bringing logic and facts into this. If you see the Oilers being bashed, you're supposed to join in.

Yes, the Oilers lost that trade. But both teams got something they sorely needed. Far from being the worst trade, but people have short memories these days.

Reactions: DDRhockey

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Have to wonder how close Habs and Oilers were on a trade. Subban vs Hall - 1C Habs wanted vs 1D Oilers wanted, what could have been...In the end both got fleeced albeit Habs not as bad as Oilers.

ReggietheSavage15

Feb 27, 2008
So when pittsburgh won the cup in 2009 it suddenly made the naslund for stojanov deal good?

I am just saying that erat did not help Washington in their cup run.

I never said it did. You're putting words in my mouth, when I CLEARLY agreed with you.

Fact - It's one of the worst trades in NHL history.

Opinion - Talking about it now (as a Caps fan) isn't as painful due to the cup win.

That's my point.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
1st season I didn’t miss Hall. 2nd season I didn’t miss Hall. Today I do not miss Hall.

Glad to see him doing well (MVP!) but he did not make the Oilers a better hockey team.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Is this the most painful trade for Oiler fans in their history? Worse than Gretzky?
Not even ballpark worst. Coffey trade, Gretzky trade, Messier trade the whole dynasty team we offloaded we got the best player back for Essa Tikenen funny enough he returned Doug Weight.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
1st season I didn’t miss Hall. 2nd season I didn’t miss Hall. Today I do not miss Hall.

Glad to see him doing well (MVP!) but he did not make the Oilers a better hockey team.

It appears that nothing will make the Oilers a better team.

If only we'd known.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

Some players are better when they're the best player on the team. How good is a team where Taylor Hall is the best player?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Have to wonder how close Habs and Oilers were on a trade. Subban vs Hall - 1C Habs wanted vs 1D Oilers wanted, what could have been...In the end both got fleeced albeit Habs not as bad as Oilers.
I’d rather lose value filling a need than get an older version of a guy who plays the same role.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
Based on that people didnt ridiculate this trade as much as season 2. Edmonton made playoffs for the first time in 10 years with larsson
Except the ridicule for it was pretty intense and crazy the first year. Just because it was magnified by 10 this season doesn't mean it wasn't ridiculed severely the season before. And Larsson is the sole reason the Oilers made the playoffs that year? Not Klefbom having his breakout season or Sekera playing better? Or wait, is all that because of Larsson's arrival too? It's not like he carried them like Hall carried the Devils this year or was the only reason to watch them last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad