Confirmed with Link: 2-year extension for Holzer ($725K and $850K)

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
I think some people are being pretty hard on a guy who's a rookie. Although I do believe more time under Eakins would benefit him big time.

Precisely.

Besides, this contract does nothing to assure him of a roster spot. All it assures him is an NHL salary regardless of which level he plays at (AHL or NHL). Not really sure why there are some who are flipping out over this.

maplehawk

HFB Partner
I didn't watch him in the AHL, but I've watched him in the NHL and he's bad. He can pin a guy the to the boards, he has decent positioning, and he can clear the front of the net. But he can't handle a puck to save his life. He's given up a ton of pressure (Corsi #s bare this out) because of miscues on the breakout. Chalk it up to confidence, or adjusting to NHL speed, or misuse by Carlyle if you want, he's looked bad to me.

Mark Fraser, in his limited role, has been infinitely more useful. He's the one I want to see extended and developed.

Wow, he's bad and can do all those things?

Can't wait till he's below average!

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
Wow, he's bad and can do all those things?

Can't wait till he's below average!

Hockey is a two way game. Being adequate in one sphere of the game while being completely, utterly, mindblowingly terrible in the other means you are a bad player.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Hockey is a two way game. Being adequate in one sphere of the game while being completely, utterly, mindblowingly terrible in the other means you are a bad player.

"Completely, utterly, mindblowing terrible", eh? What an overstatement.

So he's good on the boards, good defending the rush, good in front of the net, but he's a bad player because he gives away the puck too much? I feel like you're being unreasonably nit-picky.

The guy's proven he can be a capable, reliable shut-down defenceman in the AHL. Can we let him play 50-100 games before we call him a bad player? Or we can just continue to use 18 games as a rookie to form our opinions. Your call.

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
"Completely, utterly, mindblowing terrible", eh? What an overstatement.

So he's good on the boards, good defending the rush, good in front of the net, but he's a bad player because he gives away the puck too much? I feel like you're being unreasonably nit-picky.

The guy's proven he can be a capable, reliable shut-down defenceman in the AHL. Can we let him play 50-100 games before we call him a bad player? Or we can just continue to use 18 games as a rookie to form our opinions. Your call.

Well I got accused of using strange reasoning when I was less emphatic about his suckiness, so yea I overstated it. And he doesn't just give away the puck, he consistently fails to move the puck out of the zone even when given enough space and time to do so, makes poor decisions on outlet passes, ineffectively uses his d partner, appears to get panicked by the slightest pressure etc. His transition game is non existent, and that hurts given he plays 20 minutes a night, on a team that is currently getting thrashed by strong forechecks, and is consistently getting outshout and out chanced.

Ultimately I don't care about Korbinian Holzer, he's a cheap, bad, right handed dman, and thats better than an expensive, bad, right handed dman like Komisarek. I just thought I'd offer a dissenting opinion on a hockey discussion board.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Well I got accused of using strange reasoning when I was less emphatic about his suckiness, so yea I overstated it. And he doesn't just give away the puck, he consistently fails to move the puck out of the zone even when given enough space and time to do so, makes poor decisions on outlet passes, ineffectively uses his d partner, appears to get panicked by the slightest pressure etc. His transition game is non existent, and that hurts given he plays 20 minutes a night, on a team that is currently getting thrashed by strong forechecks, and is consistently getting outshout and out chanced.

Ultimately I don't care about Korbinian Holzer, he's a cheap, bad, right handed dman, and thats better than an expensive, bad, right handed dman like Komisarek. I just thought I'd offer a dissenting opinion on a hockey discussion board.

Hes a bottom pairing Dman and is paid like one one. Bottom pairing dmen make mistakes. That why they're paid peanuts.

I'd love to ice an All Star calibre defense, but unfortunately thats not a reasonable expectation.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Ya, what a huge contract. This may be a real albatross moving forward. :help:

Personally I think they are making something from nothin in trade value with this one, we all know komi and liles are better d

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto

Holzer does make rookie mistakes, but there has been many occasions when I've been yelling at his D partner for making dumb mistakes too....and he's no rookie. I also take in consideration that he is playing top 2 D minutes meaning he often plays against the opposition's best. And when he was over his head the coach replaces him in one game with Kostka, another D that gets hammered by this some on this board. I suspect Carlyle knows what he's doing, especially given he has more experienced D, such as Komi and Liles at his disposal that he chooses not to use and given where we thought this team was headed at the beginning of the season, am very happy with the coaching to date.

Aki Berg

Jul 3, 2005
Aki-ville
I feel the same way. Shocks me at times. But then again, one has to assume that the three people complaining the most about this.....have jersey's from 2003 Aki Berg, 2005 Ken Klee and from 2011 Komisarek.

This poster does not have a Klee nor Komisarek jersey from any era.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
So we are paying Holzer 800 K for doing Komiserak's job who gets paid 4.5

I am ok with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad