Confirmed with Link: 2-year extension for Holzer ($725K and $850K)

Kb21

Dec 27, 2011
Toronto
love it, he looks really solid out there defensively. just needs to learn to make quicker decisions and crisper passes out of the zone but overall he would made a solid #5/6D.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
I can't believe people are questioning this. You must keep your draft picks locked up for a while especially since he's going to be cheap.If he gets let go, people will still complain. The guy has been fine for the most part,people just expect his transition to be seamless and quick.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Holzer deal in TOR is $725K and $850K over next two years. AAV is $787.5K. Was scheduled to be Group 6 UFA this summer.

Great signing!

Didn't realize he was UFA...capgeek had him down as a RFA. In that case really great signing!!

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Love the signing personally. Good shutdown stay at home defenseman. Its his first year in NHL cut the guy some slack. He's made some great plays as well as block many shots, not to mention he's not afraid to get physical.

Many who don't like him or think he's useless clearly haven't watched the marlies. He was the top shutdown pair with fraser and they were great. Holzer was developed for a couple of years under dallas eakins so although he might not seem all that great right now, he can only get better. Cheap signing and untapped potential. Great signing IMO.

And he has chemistry with many members. Fraser kadri frattin, and more importantly scrivens. Him ad scrivy have played together with him as the shutdown #1 pairing and ben as the starter so they definitely should feel comfortable playing together and that could help us a lot.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Holzer is a group 6 UFA.

Group 6 UFAs - a 25+ yo player w/ 3+ professional seasons and less than 80 games played

Holzer fits the bill and would've been an UFA

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Yeah, I don't see how he could've been a UFA. Not enough of years of service.

He would have qualified as UFA (Group 6 FA) because he is over 25 and would have played less than 80 NHL games at the end of his current contract.

"Group 6 free agents (must be elected by the player): Players who have reached age 25, who have 3 accrued years of professional experience (that is, beyond junior or collegiate hockey), and whose contracts have expired, but have played less than:

80 NHL games played for forwards and defensemen."

SpeakerForTheDead

Aug 2, 2005
Brampton/Chicago
Holzer is a group 6 UFA.

Group 6 UFAs - a 25+ yo player w/ 3+ professional seasons and less than 80 games played

Holzer fits the bill and would've been an UFA

He would have qualified as UFA (Group 6 FA) because he is over 25 and would have played less than 80 NHL games at the end of his current contract.

"Group 6 free agents (must be elected by the player): Players who have reached age 25, who have 3 accrued years of professional experience (that is, beyond junior or collegiate hockey), and whose contracts have expired, but have played less than:

80 NHL games played for forwards and defensemen."

Good to know! My mistake.

TiMo15

Nov 8, 2008
I can't believe how some people do not have patient of how the team is developing the players. Certainly, BB chose not to go for the draft pick route. Last couple years, the team defence was very bad under RW. When the team got some young guys who can play D under a new coach then they had started complaining why the team needed to sign this type of contract. Rookie must make mistakes and need to learn by playing and correcting under the right coach. Randy had done a great job so far to correct them. This signing isn't expensive and it's good to have enough D depth for all different scenarios such as buyout the hugh contract, trade players, or get some good draft picks from return. At the same time, the D core can still be very solid.

I think this is a good signing for the team. Kadri is a very good example how the team gets patient of developing players.

Hockeylaw

Jan 16, 2013
I actually think Holzer shows a lot of promise. He's certain no worse than Aulie.

The price is right. Good signing.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
More moves will come. Management is now making decisions about who stays and who goes. Putting Holzer in one category suggests that one or more defencemen are now in the other.

Look for trades of surplus players for whatever they can get, if anything at all, or compliance buyouts in due course.

I like the trimming and shaping of the roster now underway.

I think Nonis and Carlyle have. Been bold and decisive with Connolly, Kostka, Fraser, Holzer, Brown, Komisarek, Liles, Gardiner and others. They haven't taken the easy or obvious route and aren't even trying to cover their *****. It seems to me they are intent on playing the most productive players no-matter name, contract or anything else. Good on Leafs management for having some balls fore a change.

Last edited:

tacoburrito

Dec 1, 2009
www.cybernations.net
Only in Toronto does a rookie get written off in under 30 games played... He was a solid marlie and is still getting adjusted to the NHL give the kid a break. I'd rather him at under a mill than what Komi brings for 4.5 any day of the week

PoisonMushroom

I'm a fungi!
Mar 8, 2006
Only in Toronto does a rookie get written off in under 30 games played... He was a solid marlie and is still getting adjusted to the NHL give the kid a break. I'd rather him at under a mill than what Komi brings for 4.5 any day of the week

I don't understand the hate for Holzer at all. This contract gives the team flexibility and depth, Holzer's been more than serviceable in his role. He's made mistakes, but he's essentially a rookie. It's not like we just gave him a 5-year deal at $4.5M per year.

tacoburrito

Dec 1, 2009
www.cybernations.net
I don't understand the hate for Holzer at all. This contract gives the team flexibility and depth, Holzer's been more than serviceable in his role. He's made mistakes, but he's essentially a rookie. It's not like we just gave him a 5-year deal at $4.5M per year.

i feel like most of the hate towards him is really only placed there because he may the guy standing in the way of jake being called up... korbinian has payed his dues in the ahl... its time for him to sink or swim

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
I didn't watch him in the AHL, but I've watched him in the NHL and he's bad. He can pin a guy the to the boards, he has decent positioning, and he can clear the front of the net. But he can't handle a puck to save his life. He's given up a ton of pressure (Corsi #s bare this out) because of miscues on the breakout. Chalk it up to confidence, or adjusting to NHL speed, or misuse by Carlyle if you want, he's looked bad to me.

Mark Fraser, in his limited role, has been infinitely more useful. He's the one I want to see extended and developed.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I think some people are being pretty hard on a guy who's a rookie. Although I do believe more time under Eakins would benefit him big time.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00