Confirmed with Link: 2-year extension for Holzer ($725K and $850K)

saint2e

Aug 4, 2005
Kitchener, Ontario
Leafs Sign Holzer To Two-Year Extension

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=658671

The Toronto Maple Leafs announced Tuesday that the hockey club has signed defenceman Korbinian Holzer to a two-year contract extension through the 2014-15 season. As per club policy, financial terms of the contract were not disclosed.

Holzer, 25, has played 16 games for the Leafs this season scoring two goals and registering 19 minutes in penalties. He recorded his first NHL goal, which was also the game-winner, in the Leafs’ 3-2 win at Washington on February 5 and he logged a career-high 23:41 of ice-time on February 7 at Winnipeg. The 6-3, 205-pound defenceman ranks third (tie) on the team in blocked shots with 37. He has also skated in 34 games for the American Hockey League’s Toronto Marlies in 2012-13 collecting eight points (one goal, seven assists) and 28 penalty minutes.

Holzer, a native of Munich, Germany, has represented his country at several international tournaments including the 2010 Olympic Winter Games, the 2010 and 2011 IIHF World Championships, and the 2007 IIHF World Junior Championships.

The Leafs originally selected Holzer 111th overall in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
no-brainer to re-sign him.

you don't just let good young cheap depth go.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
Good for him. I like Holzer. Decent depth defenceman who will only get better.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
:facepalm: Lackluster defensive play and bad decisions gets you contracts.

The guy is a rookie. Of course he's going to make glaring mistakes.

No one is building him up to be a #1 defenseman. He is well suited as a 5-6 guy. Carlyle has used him wrong.

But he can be an effective defenseman in the right situations.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Would've been happy if it was 'Marlies signed Holzer to an extension' :(

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
Holzer does not = Liles. Not even close. He can't even hold his jockstrap.

I'd hope so... it's hard to get worse.

He hasn't even played 20 games at the NHL level. Give him a break.

Holzer himself said there is a huge learning curve getting adjusted to the speed of the NHL game. He played well for the Marlies and will certainly improve here.

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009
Holzer does not = Liles. Not even close. He can't even hold his jockstrap.

its a numbers game, committing to holzer spells the end of liles, and post-concussion i don't know if liles even knows where his jockstrap is

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
Good signing. With Gardiner, Morgan and Phaneuf, we need tough, stay at home D. I like what I have seen - not afraid of anyone, willing to block shots. He's a rookie, cut the guy some slack. He's been playing big minutes and in critical situations.

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
He hasn't even played 20 games at the NHL level. Give him a break.

Holzer himself said there is a huge learning curve getting adjusted to the speed of the NHL game. He played well for the Marlies and will certainly improve here.

I'd say this more so closes the books on Komisarek, obviously a much closer skillset.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I like Holzer. I like what he has done on the top unit. It will be great for his confidence when he slides back into a 5th or 6th dman.

He has played against the best. And really hasn't looked too far off. If we pair him with the right guy, he will look good against opposing teams secondary.

Franson - Holzer is something solid to look forward too, Fraser has looked very sturdy; but when all is said and done, the future looks like this.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I dont know why some of you are upset. I'd rather our depth dmen make peanuts as opposed to overpaying for a UFA in the summer, or having our #6 guy make 4.5m like Komisarek.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
If you don't think he's been playing well (overall), then I don't know what you're watching.

A bad game against Montreal and NYI does not negate his strengths and upside.

He is a rookie playing big minutes against the oppositions best lines and has shown good defensive ability and instincts.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00