Post-Game Talk: #2 | Vancouver Canucks at Philadelphia Flyers | October 15, 2022 | 4pm | NBCSP / SNP

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
If they stumble into 8th place and then get their wheels blown off in the first round. No I would absolutely not be happy. They need to bottom out for a while. That's the only way to establish yourself as a contender in the league.

People can point at Buffalo all you want. But the reality is almost every top end team over the last 15 years has had to bottom out collect talent before rising up again.
only way they make the playoffs is if Frost, Wade, Cates, TK, Provy, Tanner, Hart and Sanheim have fantastic season. If they emerge to be top line players (Frost,Wade, Cates and Tanner in particular) then that completely changes the trajectory of the franchise similar to when Toccett, Craven,, Mellanby Sutters merged out of nowhere ... seriously doubt that happens but if it does that would be a positive ....like I said them drawing a Royal Flush seems virtually impossible their 99.99% bottom 5 team so you have nothing to worry about

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't take 2-0 too seriously, I also don't take their struggles too seriously.
Hart and Farabee are fighting off rust.
Couts, Atkinson, Tippett and Risto are out.
A lot of guys are feeling their way into the NHL or bigger roles.

What I like is Torts is getting them to elevate their play, but let's wait 20 games, because when you make all these changes and bring in a half dozen new starters, yeah, it'll take time to jell.

But I'd rather see 25 year old TK than 35 year old G lead this team.

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
I can understand people saying that they’re enjoying seeing individual guys play well, like TK

But the people saying the teams playing well must not be paying attention :laugh:

They clearly got outplayed in both games and were saved by individual efforts to steal both wins.
they outscored their opponents 2 - 1

their goals against are amongst the best in the league

only Vegas has more pts. than them

but the Flyers were "CLEARLY OUTPLAYED" :facepalm:

Oh.....DEFENSE wins championships

......ghost has the worst +/- on Arizona

imagine :eyeroll:

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
they outscored their opponents 2 - 1

their goals against are amongst the best in the league

only Vegas has more pts. than them

but the Flyers were "CLEARLY OUTPLAYED" :facepalm:

Oh.....DEFENSE wins championships

......ghost has the worst +/- on Arizona

imagine :eyeroll:
The flyers having a hot start totally hasn't happened recently.......

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
its been fun watching the games. Some players look better than I thought they would. Deangelo is one. Provy looks more like his play from his second season. More physical.

Frost looks like he is still playing looking over his shoulder. Scared to make a mistake.

really like wade and tanner but have for a while. its clear that we needed to bring players up sooner. concerned when we get healthy.

Cates is solid. but very limited. Smart player but limited skill with coots out they seem to use him as the shutdown center.

Canfly

Nov 25, 2016
They played better than Thursday but still need more puck control.
Hart has to stop giving up those easy early ones. This team is not talented enough to overcome deficits every time.
Good to see some players better right now then they have been the last couple of years.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You can tell people evaluate based only on end results and then pick and choose cliches to lazily toss out as they work backwards from there.

If they lose these last two games - since, outside of like 4 players heroic and unsustainable efforts, they absolutely deserved to lose - the narratives are completely different. No silly comments about how they're suddenly looking better, more fun to watch, harder to play against, and imaginary garbage like that.

They've been awful.
They look awful.
Most of the players look exactly as awful as they did last year.
Stop falling for the same trap that we've seen for 3 or 4 years straight now.

To show just how badly they've been outplayed, by bad teams, at 5v5 in the first two games:
StatForAgainst
Shot attempts62104
Shots on net3853
High danger attempts1120
Expected goals3.174.47
Save %0.9340.894

If TK isn't shooting 50% right now (as is Frost), they're 0-2.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You can tell people evaluate based only on end results and then pick and choose cliches to lazily toss out as they work backwards from there.

If they lose these last two games - since, outside of like 4 players heroic and unsustainable efforts, they absolutely deserved to lose - the narratives are completely different. No silly comments about how they're suddenly looking better, more fun to watch, harder to play against, and imaginary garbage like that.

They've been awful.
They look awful.

To show just how badly they've been outplayed, by bad teams, at 5v5 in the first two games:
StatForAgainst
Shot attempts62104
Shots on net3853
High danger attempts1120
Expected goals3.174.47
Save %0.9340.894

You can even ignore everything but goalie play; when that drops down to a more regular .920-.910 rate, and opposing percentages skyrocket to normal, that alone will start making thing ugly. The added context on shots faced by our goalies just shows how grim it can get.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Zamula looked bad, we're going to have to accept growing pains right now.

Key players so far are Hayes, Laughton, TK, N Cates and Allison at forward, Provorov, TDA and Sanheim on defense.
The rest are being shuffled around, hoping for them to step up.

But a lot is also figuring out who fits on STs, the PP is obviously in flux, but so is the PK.

With some players, like Zamula and Lycksell, they probably need a few months in the AHL before they get another shot.
Injuries are forcing them to play some of these kids too early, and it shows.
And players are being asked to do more than they're capable of at this point in their career, see Frost.
N Cates, with Couts and Atkinson back and Farabee with game legs, would probably be the LW on the 3rd line, with PP minutes reduced but a major role on PK.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Zamula looked bad, we're going to have to accept growing pains right now.

Key players so far are Hayes, Laughton, TK, N Cates and Allison at forward, Provorov, TDA and Sanheim on defense.
The rest are being shuffled around, hoping for them to step up.

But a lot is also figuring out who fits on STs, the PP is obviously in flux, but so is the PK.

With some players, like Zamula and Lycksell, they probably need a few months in the AHL before they get another shot.
Injuries are forcing them to play some of these kids too early, and it shows.
And players are being asked to do more than they're capable of at this point in their career, see Frost.
N Cates, with Couts and Atkinson back and Farabee with game legs, would probably be the LW on the 3rd line, with PP minutes reduced but a major role on PK.
Zamula won't stay up too long if he plays like he did yesterday. I understand growing pains, but they need him to be a low-event player 5 on 5, and right now his mistakes are outweighing scant positives. It'll be interesting to see how long they stick with him.

Lycksell got his look. It wasn't a good one. I expect they'll bring someone else on the road trip.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You can even ignore everything but goalie play; when that drops down to a more regular .920-.910 rate, and opposing percentages skyrocket to normal, that alone will start making thing ugly. The added context on shots faced by our goalies just shows how grim it can get.
And considering the goalie play we've seen over the past few years, even that might be optimistic.

Point being, same as last year, if things don't drastically improve then they're going to start rapidly racking up losses. And really bad losses at that.

So all this praise is just hilarious.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Oh, and perfect timing for the shameless shill to (intentionally?) not understand the point people are making by pointing out that they didn't deserve to win. :laugh: He's such a cockroach.

Point is, getting all excited and taking victory laps after fluke wins where they played awful just makes people look foolish.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I doubt they rack up a lot of bad losses, that requires players going through the motions when they're behind - if that happens, players will be riding buses.

Of course they're struggling, with four starters out (Couts, Atkinson, Tippett, Risto) they're forcing young players into roles they're not ready for, they're incorporating new schemes, and half the team has played together for two weeks. It's not like they have a core of players (like two top lines and a D-pair or two) who've played together for years and they're just patching around the edges.

And it's obvious they still need work on conditioning (and more depth), they wear down after the 1st period b/c they're not used to playing at that level of intensity for 3 periods.

W-L doesn't really mean much in a season like this, it's literally "how you play the game."

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right

They've been awful.
They look awful.

StatForAgainst
Shot attempts62104
Shots on net3853
High danger attempts1120
Expected goals3.174.47
Save %0.9340.894

I am not sure who you are speaking about. I have enjoyed watching them. It’s hockey again. Bad hockey but none the less hockey. Didn’t say the team is fun to watch. Enjoyed the wins. But it’s clearly not the level of play that is needed to keep winning.
that being said some players look better than expected. Really concerned when they get healthy who will be the odd men out.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I am not sure who you are speaking about. I have enjoyed watching them. It’s hockey again. Bad hockey but none the less hockey. Didn’t say the team is fun to watch. Enjoyed the wins. But it’s clearly not the level of play that is needed to keep winning.
that being said some players look better than expected. Really concerned when they get healthy who will be the odd men out.
People can enjoy whatever they want, so long as we're all realistic and realize the indisputable fact that overall they've sucked as a team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad