Proposal: 2 Toronto Deals

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Wild get hosed. Greenway is going to be a monster. Spurgeon is better than Nylander now and probably has similar trade value straight up. So Bracco & Zaitsev for Nino & Greenway. GTFO.

Spurgeon is a Top 30 D by anyone who actually pays attention. Guy is straight up elite.

IceBoxHockey

Feb 14, 2016
Wild get hosed. Greenway is going to be a monster. Spurgeon is better than Nylander now and probably has similar trade value straight up. So Bracco & Zaitsev for Nino & Greenway. GTFO.

Spurgeon is a Top 30 D by anyone who actually pays attention. Guy is straight up elite.

I agree at this time spurgeon is better than Nylander, but the age difference and contract length makes Nylander the more valuable piece.

Wouldn’t do the proposed deal though.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Terrible value for any team not named Toronto. A classic case of the over valuing of your own players and prospects while under valuing the other teams players and prospects.

Exactly. Throwing in scrubs like Bracco and Zaitsev to "sweeten the pot" is a sure sign OP is dreaming. Embarrassing display of homerism here.

Reactions: Snowman

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I mean, that topic has been covered on this board before. It stems from Friedman speculating, he clearly states in his article it’s his guess. There isn’t any one else that has reported on the topic. Dubas never turned it down because the deal was never offered.
They would be crazy to not jump at the opportunity to get Pietangelo for Nylander+(+). Top D like him don’t come available to often.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Spurgeon is going to age well too. Hes an effortless skater and one of the smartest players in the league. Guy will be a difference maker well into his 30s.

Reactions: IceBoxHockey

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Ummm, not sure if your serious. Did you not comprehend my reasoning? Nylander is 7 years younger. That’s huge. Rumour has it Toronto turned down Pietrangelo for Nylander because of the age difference. And Pietrangelo is way better than Spurgeon.

Was that the Dec. 8th Hockey Night in Canada panel discussion with Kypreos? Just wondered because the Sportsnet article that talks about this panel on this same subject starts off with: "The St. Louis Blues aren’t shopping Alex Pietrangelo ......".

Every article I've seen on the subject has been an author speculating about trades, not trade rumors. After searching, I didn't see an actual rumor with an actual source, and didn't see anything about Leafs turning down an offer. Maybe you saw something else & could post it? Thanks.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Both OP deals are a steal for the Leafs.

Nylander landed a huge contract and now that he’s financially comfy he’s not quite living up to expectations. I’m not sure teams value him like Leaf fans do

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
But I don’t understand why a team with so little cap space would be willing to overpay to acquire a #6D at 3,35M with term? Doesn’t make any sense to me...
Well, I already described why and where he would fit. Dubas has already stated that he wants to acquire a player with a little term. Gudas has one year remaining after this.

IceBoxHockey

Feb 14, 2016
Was that the Dec. 8th Hockey Night in Canada panel discussion with Kypreos? Just wondered because the Sportsnet article that talks about this panel on this same subject starts off with: "The St. Louis Blues aren’t shopping Alex Pietrangelo ......".

Every article I've seen on the subject has been an author speculating about trades, not trade rumors. After searching, I didn't see an actual rumor with an actual source, and didn't see anything about Leafs turning down an offer. Maybe you saw something else & could post it? Thanks.

Good luck getting an answer.

Reactions: Tall Morty

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Both OP deals are a steal for the Leafs.

Nylander landed a huge contract and now that he’s financially comfy he’s not quite living up to expectations. I’m not sure teams value him like Leaf fans do
I would like to think that GM’s would value him properly and not just a 13 game stretch where he didn’t have a training camp but that’s just me.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Spurgeon is worth Nylander, imo. I don't think Nino + Greenway for Bracco + Zaitsev is remotely fair.
Spurgeon is 7 years older and only has 1.5 years left on his contract. Nylander has 6.5 years left.
Nylander >>>Spurgeon (for those two reasons alone)
That’s just common sense.

Reactions: TML1990

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
2nd deal is good, 1st one I would pass

TsYb.gif

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I think we should re write all Leaf proposals to....Your teams top pairing defender for the Leafs bottom 6 winger and a B prospect plus a 1st in 2019.

Saekk

Jul 25, 2017
Well, these proposals suck ass for teams not named Toronto Maple Leafs.

As usual.

nstarjim

Jul 5, 2018
Spurgeon is 7 years older and only has 1.5 years left on his contract. Nylander has 6.5 years left.
Nylander >>>Spurgeon (for those two reasons alone)
That’s just common sense.
The cap hit for nylanders production bring his value down ALOT. wild would be doing the leafs a favor giving cap space for marner/Mathews. spurgeon for nylander straight up is fair because no one knows if nylander can play centre and produce away from Mathews worth his contract.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The cap hit for nylanders production bring his value down ALOT. wild would be doing the leafs a favor giving cap space for marner/Mathews. spurgeon for nylander straight up is fair because no one knows if nylander can play centre and produce away from Mathews worth his contract.
Eh... he's played 13 games in a league that's already at full speed. After two straight 20G/60P seasons I don't think this is somehow the new normal for him. Even away from Matthews he should be good for that same 20G/60P going forward.

If he ended up in Minnesota my baseline guess for him is that he'd put up numbers similar to Granlund, which is perfectly fair for $7m. The downside to that is that, while having two Granlund's would be great, there's some question as to whether we can afford Nylander at $7m and Granlund at $7m+ (possibly $8m+) to play essentially the same role on the team. So that's another potential trade-off to account for.

Reactions: nstarjim

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad