Friedman: 2 teams showed interest in trading for Erik Karlsson

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Would Ottawa take him back? Roll with a Chabot/Karlsson pairing
No thanks.

I think it would create a weird locker room dynamic. The locker room dynamic is one of the best things the Sens have going for them right now, so I wouldn't risk that.. Plus, the Sens are going to have cap issues in the next couple of seasons, so there's no need to introduce some risk with a slowly declining Karlsson with 5 seasons left on his contract, even if 50% retained.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I can't imagine Montreal really wanting Karlsson until their team is competitive for at least a few months. I also can't imagine Karlsson would want to leave San Jose for another team that is or at least was in a similar boat since they did just pick #1. But any team barking up this tree needs to accept that you're probably going to take on a 8.5 mil cap hit at a minimum to get Karlsson and figure out how to make it fit if you really want. I don't think there will be much value going back to San Jose but that seems like the most likely parameters for a deal to happen here. It's probably why only two teams even talked to the Sharks about him this offseason. I suspect that number will pick up this upcoming offseason when cap ceiling prospects look a lot better.

The cap going up may even allow the Sharks to move Vlasic at 50% which absolutely needs to happen given his attitude.
I think until the cap starts moving these big money contracts wiht long term are unmovable, not because the players are bad as so many on here seem to equate but more that to take on the contracts the teams need to gut there roster

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think until the cap starts moving these big money contracts wiht long term are unmovable, not because the players are bad as so many on here seem to equate but more that to take on the contracts the teams need to gut there roster
It depends on who it is. Burns was thought to be unmovable as well but the Sharks did it. I can't see a reason why they can't with Karlsson if they're willing to retain and/or take back cap dumps. I just don't see Montreal being that team. It's hard to see any team specifically right now but options will likely open up at the draft and probably more willingness from Karlsson to go somewhere.

Reactions: DaveG

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Don't think those are unmovable. You retent 50% and TANK for those years. That's obvious path which Sharks is gonna go near future.

Karlsson with half caphit will definitely interest contenders.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
It depends on who it is. Burns was thought to be unmovable as well but the Sharks did it. I can't see a reason why they can't with Karlsson if they're willing to retain and/or take back cap dumps. I just don't see Montreal being that team. It's hard to see any team specifically right now but options will likely open up at the draft and probably more willingness from Karlsson to go somewhere.
Not within this year but I could see Montreal having interest if the deal was right this summer, especially if they land a top 3 pick. A lot of their young players look more NHL ready than I thought this year and guys like Mesar and Beck from last year's draft will challenge for a spot next year, if Habs can move 2 or 3 overpaid bodies up front in an EK deal it might make some sense

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I think SJ would have to retain half, and even then I think it's a tough sell given his injury history. He's missed 79 games over the last 4 years. Carolina got Burns at 5.28 mil for 3 years. Karlsson at half next summer is 5.75 mil for 4 years.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Sharks are bottoming out for the next couple of years. No reason to trade him I guess. Or it may be easier to in three years when the prospect cupboard has been restocked and the team can afford to attach a pick.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Not within this year but I could see Montreal having interest if the deal was right this summer, especially if they land a top 3 pick. A lot of their young players look more NHL ready than I thought this year and guys like Mesar and Beck from last year's draft will challenge for a spot next year, if Habs can move 2 or 3 overpaid bodies up front in an EK deal it might make some sense
I can't see Karlsson being interested in going to Montreal if Montreal is also in the lottery like the Sharks are. They would need to be in that 10-15 tier where they saw strides made by the team towards being playoff competitive.
I think SJ would have to retain half, and even then I think it's a tough sell given his injury history. He's missed 79 games over the last 4 years. Carolina got Burns at 5.28 mil for 3 years. Karlsson at half next summer is 5.75 mil for 4 years.
There's no way the Sharks need to retain half and the idea that it'd be a tough sell at 50% is absurd. Karlsson at 5.75 million in this day and age is still a ridiculous bargain. You can be concerned about injuries, that is valid but not to that degree. Carolina got Burns at that price without sending cap back and at age 38. Karlsson will be 33 when a trade would happen in the offseason with four years to go. Karlsson's play quality is still in the 7-9 mil range depending on what metrics someone is looking at even with the injuries. A team taking a chance on Karlsson at say 8.5 mil for four years is pretty easy to manage when those teams will also likely be able to dump any bad contracts in the process. If they did retain half, you're not sending cap back and you're actually paying a decent future asset in the process.

• Haha
Reactions: bleedblue94

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Burns was probably the better/more impactful player over the previous seasons.
Doubt EK gets back more than Burns did.
It depends on how the deal is structured. Karlsson is younger with more term and money. Sharks retained on Burns but didn't take on a cap dump either. Karlsson's deal will likely require a different structure with the higher cap hit. Those differences can and likely will alter the value going the other way. Probably still won't be much as I'd expect a similar retention but a cap dump with it since a similar retention would put Karlsson in the 8-9 mil range. Still a good deal for an acquiring team if they're able to move the cap needed to make him fit but there's also an increase in the cap coming in those four years that'll make the deal much easier to manage too.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I think there would be takers at 50%. He's still a top pairing defensemen. Heck as a Leafs fan, I wouldn't be mad at Muzzin +1st and another prospect for EK at 50% if SJ is that anxious to unload him. Especially with the cap going up next season.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think there would be takers at 50%. He's still a top pairing defensemen. Heck as a Leafs fan, I wouldn't be mad at Muzzin +1st and another prospect for EK at 50% if SJ is that anxious to unload him. Especially with the cap going up next season.
The Sharks will only get anxious to unload him if he asks out. I think they'd be fine running out the clock on his contract while they're rebuilding but Karlsson probably won't feel the same after this season.

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
If we have a good draft and off season. I think Habs have a shot at playoffs next year. We need #1 right D though
No disrespect to him, but with Jake Allen as a #1, nobody pushing for the starting job in the near future and no cap space to sign or trade for a legit #1, the Habs aren't anywhere close to making the playoff.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
No disrespect to him, but with Jake Allen as a #1, nobody pushing for the starting job in the near future and no cap space to sign or trade for a legit #1, the Habs aren't anywhere close to making the playoff.
The Habs will have 23.5-26.5M in cap space next summer depending on how much cap will increase.

Only major re-sign will be Caufield, so they'll definitely have a lot of space to make deals even if Cole gets something ridiculous like 10M.

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
The Habs will have 23.5-26.5M in cap space next summer depending on how much cap will increase.

Only major re-sign will be Caufield, so they'll definitely have a lot of space to make deals even if Cole gets something ridiculous like 10M.
Good luck finding a legit #1 goalie that will work out, just like that. It's far from a sure thing.

Cap space is one thing, but there won't be many option on the UFA market, and except if you want the remaining 10M for 3 years of Bobrovsky, trading for one isn't as easy as you seem to think.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Karlsson at 50 percent will get a lot of interest. WOuld be a lot of bang for your buck at 5.75 million.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad