Friedman: 2 teams showed interest in trading for Erik Karlsson

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
We'll see in a couple months, but of the 16 teams that are going to make it, how many:

1. Have a need/role for him. Some playoff teams (if not most) have their defense setups already established.

2. Can accommodate him at 40-50%. Remember, it isn't just this season, it is future seasons as well.

3. Can get Karlsson to waive his NMC. I know it seems like any playoff team will be better, but taxes/lifestyle, etc.. can make some teams much less desirable. This isn't a one year rental. There could be multiple millions in extra taxes for someone with as much money at stake as Karlsson.

4. And are willing to give a return the Sharks will accept.
All valid points, but Karlsson has also never won, he has money in the bank so I could see him leaving $$ on the table (via taxes/C.O.L.) if it meant going to a true contender. Plus if he gets a ring he can charge more for autographs after he retires lol.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
It’s not at all for the Sharks nor for Bob.
Why not for the Sharks? One year less term, lower cap hit, easier to buy out and they have room for a goalie beyond this year. I don't see a reason for Bob to waive his NMC for them though.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Why not for the Sharks? One year less term, lower cap hit, easier to buy out and they have room for a goalie beyond this year. I don't see a reason for Bob to waive his NMC for them though.
We're only in year two of Martin Jones' buyout. That's why it's a no from the Sharks. You don't trade for bad goalie contracts because you're stuck with it or a buyout. If a Karlsson trade happens, it will look similar to the Burns trade where they retained a significant chunk but saved about 5 mil off the cap. They have no need to address their goaltending beyond this year in this manner. They can do better than saving one year of term on a goalie they'd likely end up buying out.

Reactions: Gecklund

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
We're only in year two of Martin Jones' buyout. That's why it's a no from the Sharks. You don't trade for bad goalie contracts because you're stuck with it or a buyout. If a Karlsson trade happens, it will look similar to the Burns trade where they retained a significant chunk but saved about 5 mil off the cap. They have no need to address their goaltending beyond this year in this manner. They can do better than saving one year of term on a goalie they'd likely end up buying out.
Not only that but the Sharks have 4 goaltending prospects that likely should be given a chance in the next few years. Whether they work or not remains to be seen but no reason to block our goaltending with a 10M contract. And if we are getting the EK of last night, then I’d rather keep him even if it hurts our tank. He was so entertaining that I’d buy tickets just to watch him.

Reactions: NitroF

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
You see them moves on the OT winner last night? Price just went up.

JitteryMediocreDugong-max-1mb.gif

teal

Aug 8, 2006
You bastards should have let Tampa have him. This is what happens when you f*** around with something as special as him and Hedman being dressed like pirates. It could've been US eating that shitty contract. But NOOOOOOOO!!!!

I hope you're happy
Tell it to Toronto. If Tavares had gone to SJ, Tampa might have EK65 now.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If you’re planning on being a .500 team and winning the Bedard lottery I’ll just say you’re very likely to be very disappointed
They said at start of year we be in Bedard sweepstakes. But we appear to be closer to playoff race. I don't know which is best? We may end up drafting 15th overall. Habs likely sign Dubois in that case. Go Suzuki, Dubois, Dach, Beck future down the middle. Still good, but not great.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Think San Jose trade Karlsson for 2 expiring contracts + Hoffman? Nothing retained on Karlsson.

Sharks basically be getting out of Karlsson contract after this year. Except for Hoffman who has 4.5m for 2 more years.
I don’t. Especially not now. Karlsson has been absolutely stellar is a PPG in 11 games this season. He’s currently leading all D in points and goals (pretty sure haven’t looked how it played out after last night but he got 2). This is going to be considered a hot take and I’m aware of that but offensively I’d only take Makar and Dahlin over him right now and he hasn’t been some liability defensively that people claim he is. I’d actually argue that he’s been above average.

While yes the Sharks are rebuilding, they aren’t really looking to bottom out. EK has really been the only reason to tune into the games early on this year. He’s paid a lot don’t get me wrong but as the cap goes up, it won’t look as bad (which is likely exactly what the Sharks were thinking when they signed him). I think at this point, the only way out of that contract is through because unless someone is paying what we paid for him, it doesn’t really make sense for us and no fans will offer that for sure.

Reactions: PainForShane

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Think San Jose trade Karlsson for 2 expiring contracts + Hoffman? Nothing retained on Karlsson.

Sharks basically be getting out of Karlsson contract after this year. Except for Hoffman who has 4.5m for 2 more years.
I would with the caveat that all 3 contracts combined can’t be more than $11.5M. We are at the cap.

Karlsson is playing much better so far this year and that’s a bad thing for this Sharks team that isn’t good enough to contend and needs to bottom out. Plus the future cap space may be valuable if we can turn this team around quicker by really bottoming out for a couple years.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
If not for the fact they already traded their 2023 1st for Lundqvist, I would have said Dallas would be a good spot for Karlsson(would require cap retention+Sharks taking Khubodin though)

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

I’d have to assume yes. As much as I like Karlsson and as much as he’s an excellent player the ability to get out of his contract for essentially free is a no-brained. By the time the Sharks become good again, Karl will be too far from his prime.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I would with the caveat that all 3 contracts combined can’t be more than $11.5M. We are at the cap.

Karlsson is playing much better so far this year and that’s a bad thing for this Sharks team that isn’t good enough to contend and needs to bottom out. Plus the future cap space may be valuable if we can turn this team around quicker by really bottoming out for a couple years.

Those 3 equal more than 11.5 million. Montreal have to move cap to take on Karlsson. Maybe as season goes on somebody will go on LTIR?

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass

If two of those are expiring I would do it. Karlsson isn’t what the sharks need right now

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad